Baseball discussion topic for the board.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Is our response to the last 2 baseball seasons any different if Mississippi is hosting a regional this weekend?

I think so. I think we’re waiting on our new coach to be announced instead of our new pitching coach. But since UM sucks even worse this year and we have the stadium and left field, we’re still fat & happy.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
As long as I don’t have to listen to Foxy-loxy tell me that Fristoe, Sennett, and others have the talent to compete, but I saw their pitches parked amongst you ‘fat and happy’ left fieldites, I can take it. (It was like a fellow pissing on your leg and telling you it’s rain). As long as the ‘injured pitcher list’ isn’t as long John Holmes’ member, I can take it. We need a pitching coach.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My personal response wouldn't be any different, still time to clean house. Obviously the talking heads see it differently and I'm not sure it would be different if they were hosting unless our fan pressure forced it

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Is our response to the last 2 baseball seasons any different if Mississippi is hosting a regional this weekend?

I think so. I think we’re waiting on our new coach to be announced instead of our new pitching coach. But since UM sucks even worse this year and we have the stadium and left field, we’re still fat & happy.
I would agree. Whether we like it or not our fates will always somewhat hinge on each other. I don't think that will matter though next year. If this doesn't rectify itself he's gone, no matter what happens with them.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would agree. Whether we like it or not our fates will always somewhat hinge on each other. I don't think that will matter though next year. If this doesn't rectify itself he's gone, no matter what happens with them.
I agree 2024 is do or die for Lemonis. Which is good, cause I think Bianco will have a hard time wining more than 12 SEC games next year with everything they lose from this year.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I don’t think so. For starters, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both programs made it to the top of the mountain, then immediately found themselves down in a valley. Your coaches miss recruiting & scouting time in Omaha, players miss summer ball, the extra innings wear pitchers down. Also, it’s tough to replace players like Tanner Allen, Tim Elko, Rowdy Jordan, etc.

The issues have come on the mound for both programs. The core group of pitchers that carried each team to a title was rather small (Sims, Harding, H Elliot, Bednar, DeLucia, etc.). For various reason, those guys didn’t contribute much (if anything) the following year. Even guys that actually logged innings like PJ Johnson and Dougherty were not as effective.

All of that aside, I don’t think MSU’s decision on Lemonis was impacted by Bianco’s struggles. There just wasn’t much appetite to run off Lemonis this year. He was getting 2024 rather OM was hosting or not.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I don’t think so. For starters, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both programs made it to the top of the mountain, then immediately found themselves down in a valley. Your coaches miss recruiting & scouting time in Omaha, players miss summer ball, the extra innings wear pitchers down. Also, it’s tough to replace players like Tanner Allen, Tim Elko, Rowdy Jordan, etc.

The issues have come on the mound for both programs. The core group of pitchers that carried each team to a title was rather small (Sims, Harding, H Elliot, Bednar, DeLucia, etc.). For various reason, those guys didn’t contribute much (if anything) the following year. Even guys that actually logged innings like PJ Johnson and Dougherty were not as effective.

All of that aside, I don’t think MSU’s decision on Lemonis was impacted by Bianco’s struggles. There just wasn’t much appetite to run off Lemonis this year.

👉 He was getting 2024 rather OM was hosting or not.

and this was wrong headed thinking in so many ways.

patdog

May 28, 2007

All of that aside, I don’t think MSU’s decision on Lemonis was impacted by Bianco’s struggles. There just wasn’t much appetite to run off Lemonis this year. He was getting 2024 rather OM was hosting or not.
Your first argument is ridiculous. Many Teams make Omaha every year & don’t bottom out like that. Including us many times. Do you really think missing 2 weeks of recruiting & summer ball make any difference at all? If anything, making it to Omaha should be a recruiting positive.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022

We deserve whatever we get after the sackless response by our admin.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Are you 17-ing serious?
We give ZERO 17’s about OM baseball and who their coach is
If we are comparing ourselves to OM or using them as a measuring stick then 17 Us !!

EagleDawg97

Mar 18, 2020
The issue is how pitchers are evaluated in todays game. If you have the right size and velo you get offered. Even if you don’t have a competitive bone in your body and cant even get someone out. All this showcase crap and lack of seeing a player in a real competition has screwed it all up.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think so. Football, Basketball, etc., sure you can take some solace in down years that you're better than (or at least not much worse) than Ole Miss.

Baseball is different though. Baseball is the one area where I feel like we're always in a position to compete nationally. Sure, we have down years (like the two we just finished), but I always know we'll be back sooner or later. I can't say that about any other sport on campus with any sort of confidence. Ole Miss has no impact on that feeling one way or another. We all kind of know they're a house of cards that Bianco has built over a 20 year period and when he leaves, they'll again be wandering through the wilderness for a decade. We have a baseball culture and support system that saw 5 different coaches take us to the College World Series (and 6 to a Super Regional) over that the last 25 years.

That being said, it sucked watching Ole Miss win last year, but I think that's as much about how much I hate Ole Miss and how I hate to see them win anything ever. It wasn't because it was a direct comparison or competition.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Not for me. I was in favor of pulling the trigger this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login