Baseball: Have we discussed this?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Seems really bad for growing the game. I also wonder how this impacts Oregon State who is about to lose a ton of revenue. Obviously great for the players and for the schools that can/will fully fund.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
In football, the rich will get richer. And poor will get poorer. They've got an automatic $15 MM to offer. Then the NIL "sweetener". All the big dogs will have astronomical total payrolls. Need collective bargaining so that contract rules can be set. Also, I'll sit and wait for the first lawsuit filed by the random volleyball player

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
In football, the rich will get richer. And poor will get poorer. They've got an automatic $15 MM to offer. Then the NIL "sweetener". All the big dogs will have astronomical total payrolls. Need collective bargaining so that contract rules can be set. Also, I'll sit and wait for the first lawsuit filed by the random volleyball player
It’s going to be one lawsuit after another by whoever isn’t getting a piece of the pie. What a mess.

Reactions: patdog and Maroon13

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
ready for this 17r to implode so we can go back to student athletes
I have no idea how to get there, but I long for the day when these 5* types can get the hell outta college football, all student athletes have the opportunity for a scholarship, and star players have the opportunity for genuine NIL.

I don’t know what the 17 we’ve got today, but it’s not college sports

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I have no idea how to get there, but I long for the day when these 5* types can get the hell outta college football, all student athletes have the opportunity for a scholarship, and star players have the opportunity for genuine NIL.

What you've got right now is a way for greedy uncles to legally get their piece. None of this is benefiting kids. The greedy uncles have always been there. It's just all out in the open now.

Reactions: PBDog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's a simple fix, just politically difficult if not impossible.
- Make it illegal for pro leagues to put an age requirement on entering the draft.
- Make it legal for schools to coordinate with other schools to participate in amateur athletics, with compensation at no more than the cost of attendance.
- For schools that elect to participate in amateur athletics, make schools' tax deductible status contingent on having true amateurism.
- Make it a felony to jeopardize a school's tax deductible status with penalties that approximate the tax deductions individuals receive in a year that a non-amateur player played.
- Make it legal to accept payment as an amateur player but a felony to fail to disclose it within 365 days after finishing competing at a particular school.
- Probably would need to pair this with some sort of antitrust exemption allowing schools to dictate how many coaches there are and what they can be paid.
- Probably would also be a good idea to permit/require some sort of cap on spending to avoid another wasteful arms race in facilities. Schools that generate a **** ton of excess revenue could be required to put that into facilities or services that benefit the entire student population, not just athletes.

Reactions: Villagedawg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
The natural end point is that the sports that don’t generate profit would get cut. Would have to navigate Title IX in that, but there are plenty of athletes currently receiving scholarships that are worth more than their MRP

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Well you're about to see a Division 1 that includes like 40 teams. SEC, ACC and maybe a few others.
That is how it is now. I already pointed out the decline of College Baseball in the Southwest and California. Right now it is all about the SEC with the ACC next. The Minor Leagues have been cut down and the past few drafts have definitely been college player heavy. Still has never been a good reason to not provide scholarships to Baseball players. Competitive balance is a fantasy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That is how it is now. I already pointed out the decline of College Baseball in the Southwest and California. Right now it is all about the SEC with the ACC next. The Minor Leagues have been cut down and the past few drafts have definitely been college player heavy. Still has never been a good reason to not provide scholarships to Baseball players. Competitive balance is a fantasy.
Yeah but at least the teams are there. Moving forward, only about 40 will even EXIST. You may have to start the postseason at the Super Regional level.

So while the players on those 40 teams will all get scholarships, the overall number of scholarships is about to plummet. The small schools just won't even mess with it. Rich and poor....you either are in the 40 and fund it big, or you have to go D2 or whatever and not get a scholarship at all. There won't be a middle class.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I disagree. The schools outside the SEC and ACC right now have no real chance of winning a national championship. Having additional scholarships available at those schools won't really change the player balance because there is only 1 shortstop on each team. There won't be a bunch of Arch Mannings out there that will be content sitting on the bench. A majority of these kids are NOT going for the education. If they were, the portal would not fill up so much each year.

Plus I think freshman recruiting at most SEC and ACC schools is going to be greatly reduced going forward. They are going to look to the portal more and more.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I disagree. The schools outside the SEC and ACC right now have no real chance of winning a national championship. Having additional scholarships available at those schools won't really change the player balance because there is only 1 shortstop on each team. There won't be a bunch of Arch Mannings out there that will be content sitting on the bench. A majority of these kids are NOT going for the education. If they were, the portal would not fill up so much each year.

Plus I think freshman recruiting at most SEC and ACC schools is going to be greatly reduced going forward. They are going to look to the portal more and more.
Coastal Carolina says hello, although the portal has probably already shut the door on even flukes like that.

But I think I agree with you that schools won't drop baseball anymore than G5 schools would drop football, as their chance of winning football is indistinguishable from 0%, instead of just very, very unlikely. On the other hand, football still generates a lot of money for G5 schools through buy games. I think in general it probably doesn't pencil out as football is so expensive to play, but it at least gives an excuse to keep the program going. It doesn't sound as crazy that cash strapped schools might drop baseball to club rather than either dump more money into a money losing program or compete with one third of the number of scholarship players than the schools in power conferences. I think it'd make a lot of sense for them to try to compete in Div. II. Not sure how the rules work on that. I know schools can choose to compete up in some levels, but I'm not sure if DI schools can drop just some sports to DII or DIII.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
It’s not going back to the way it was so get used to this or just stop watching. Theres going to be issues until it’s more streamlined.
it sure makes not watching easier. the final bullet will be when then start charging us per game. they’ve already killed game day - it’s only a matter of time before the sheeple have an epiphany. enjoy those lambos boys!!! donate to NIL your self esteeem is on life support

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I agree with all of what you’ve mentioned.

Regarding freshmen recruiting, who gets them in your scenario?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

SEC and ACC will continue to recruit freshmen. Some of the best players this year were freshmen. There will be fewer because the big money teams will take the cream.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Glad to see the limits being upped for baseball but I want to see the limit dropped for football. 75 sounds about right.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

The best two way player on all of Long Island is going to Hofstra. I played with his dad back in the day where we were the only NY team to ever win a Big Little League World Championship.

Kid has been a solid player for multiple years and Hofstra is were he ends up. I sent info to Lemonis and he said it's best for him to go to Hofstra and then enter the portal. So maybe this is the future.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login