Baseball NIL

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
For those in the know on baseball NIL, are we a poverty program now? Every top flight transfer winds up at LSU, Florida or Tennessee and I never hear us in the running at all. Is it us not having the funds or is it issues with the staff/direction of the program?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
IF we did have the NIL funds, "the staff/direction of the program" would still drag down the numbers considerably. If we are in the running for a kid that can demand big $$, that kid isn't going to want to play for a loser like we've been the last 2 years when they can get the same or close to it $$ and play for a contender instead of pretender.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our NIL is fine. NIL just gets you in the game anyway, when it comes to the mercenaries.

We've never recruited as well as LSU or Florida since Clark and Palmeiro left. Never. And since Corbin got to Vandy and figured out their niche, we've never recruited better than them either. So none of those are shocking.

I do wonder what Vitello has figured out at Tennessee. We know they have an education lottery, but so does Georgia, and that's never really helped them that much. I could understand if Vitello was just winning, you could chalk it up to him being a good coach, but it doesn't make good sense that he's landing these transfers outside of big NIL, and I just don't know if Tennessee cares enough to do that.

We know the teams that truly 'care' enough to spend big NIL are us, Ole Miss, LSU and Arkansas.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our NIL is fine. NIL just gets you in the game anyway, when it comes to the mercenaries.

We've never recruited as well as LSU or Florida since Clark and Palmeiro left. Never. And since Corbin got to Vandy and figured out their niche, we've never recruited better than them either. So none of those are shocking.

I do wonder what Vitello has figured out at Tennessee. We know they have an education lottery, but so does Georgia, and that's never really helped them that much. I could understand if Vitello was just winning, you could chalk it up to him being a good coach, but it doesn't make good sense that he's landing these transfers outside of big NIL, and I just don't know if Tennessee cares enough to do that.

We know the teams that truly 'care' enough to spend big NIL are us, Ole Miss, LSU and Arkansas.
I’m just hoping for the day we can recruit as well as Missouri, Auburn & Kentucky.

Reactions: columbiadawg2

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m just hoping for the day we can recruit as well as Missouri, Auburn & Kentucky.
Depends on how you define 'recruit'.

On paper, we are as good as anyone outside those top programs I named. Problem is, we have too many PGAAs and travel ball all stars, not enough real dog players. Don't get me wrong, the studs are the studs, no matter what they are ranked, those are easy to see. But those guys get drafted or go to LSU, Florida or Vandy. We've been missing on the next crop, chasing metrics and showcases, not enough dirtbags and team players.

And surprise surprise, those PGAAs are the same mercenaries that will chase NIL first and foremost, with no loyalty. Because that's what the travel culture breeds. Always looking for the next 'opportunity' to "tAkE mY sKiLlS tO tHe NeXt LeVeL!!!11". That's my single biggest problem with Lemonis, and why I want a guy like Lane Burroughs or Butch Thompson. Cohen knew how to find these guys, and they are the closest thing to Cohen.

Folks need to discover that it's not working out. It worked for LSU because they got the studs. We don't live in that neighborhood.

patdog

May 28, 2007

On paper, we are as good as anyone outside those top programs I named. Problem is, we have too many PGAAs and travel ball all stars, not enough real dog players. Don't get me wrong, the studs are the studs, no matter what they are ranked, those are easy to see. But those guys get drafted or go to LSU, Florida or Vandy. We've been missing on the next crop, chasing metrics and showcases, not enough dirtbags and team players.

And surprise surprise, those PGAAs are the same mercenaries that will chase NIL first and foremost, with no loyalty. Because that's what the travel culture breeds. Always looking for the next 'opportunity' to "tAkE mY sKiLlS tO tHe NeXt LeVeL!!!11". That's my single biggest problem with Lemonis, and why I want a guy like Lane Burroughs or Butch Thompson. Cohen knew how to find these guys, and they are the closest thing to Cohen.

Folks need to discover that it's not working out. It worked for LSU because they got the studs. We don't live in that neighborhood.
For once, we agree 100% on something. You couldn’t have nailed the problem any better.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
For those in the know on baseball NIL, are we a poverty program now? Every top flight transfer winds up at LSU, Florida or Tennessee and I never hear us in the running at all. Is it us not having the funds or is it issues with the staff/direction of the program?
It has to do with finishing 13th and 14th in back
To back years. Kids aren’t stupid.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It has to do with finishing 13th and 14th in back
To back years. Kids aren’t stupid.
That's probably the deal with Tennessee. It's simply that Vitello has shown the ability to win consistently.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And he is a relentless recruiter. I dont get the sense you can say that about our staff.
Yeah. It was supposed to be, though. That's what Lemonis was hailed as, a relentless recruiter. Turns out he just chases the metrics.

On the other hand, he's proven to be a pretty good game manager. I'd say that's his strength, so maybe he needs to turn recruiting over to his assistants. Might be too late.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeah. It was supposed to be, though. That's what Lemonis was hailed as, a relentless recruiter. Turns out he just chases the metrics.

On the other hand, he's proven to be a pretty good game manager. I'd say that's his strength, so maybe he needs to turn recruiting over to his assistants. Might be too late.
Well we don’t need to pay $1.3 mill for a game manager. Thats probably the easiest part of the job. A sharp GA can handle that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well we don’t need to pay $1.3 mill for a game manager. Thats probably the easiest part of the job. A sharp GA can handle that.
Can't say I disagree.

No matter what happens, I do think he was the right guy for the job at the time. And I do think he deserves next year. I can live with what happens now that we have the title, even if it means we don't change coaches until after 2025. I know most do not agree with that, but we really, REALLY needed to grab a title. Even if it was COVID-induced. And I don't buy that anyway, because we were going to be elite in 2020 too.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
IF we did have the NIL funds, "the staff/direction of the program" would still drag down the numbers considerably. If we are in the running for a kid that can demand big $$, that kid isn't going to want to play for a loser like we've been the last 2 years when they can get the same or close to it $$ and play for a contender instead of pretender.
This makes me sad and upset yet I can't refute.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

DID read again.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It kills me when I read comments on here like… “if we fire Lemonis 2 years after a title, who’s gonna want to come here!?!?”. All while ignoring the entirely valid argument that you just posted

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
NIL isn’t why they aren’t getting big time guys. To think otherwise is very naive.

Reactions: patdog

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Doesn't matter with NIL. We will not get anywhere with an AD who can't see the writing on the wall. To me, he already made a decision that should get him fired. (keeping Lemonis after these last 2 seasons)

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

we are as good as anyone outside those top programs I named.

we WERE as good as anyone outside those top programs you named, a few years ago. Remains to be seen how long it will take to climb out of the pit we've fallen in to

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
we WERE as good as anyone outside those top programs you named, a few years ago. Remains to be seen how long it will take to climb out of the pit we've fallen in to

We are in solid Top 15 territory, which as we know, is good enough to win a national title. We may never become a dynasty like an LSU, but good enough.

We are like Clemson, Auburn, Oregon football.

We have not dropped in the rankings. So it's obvious the problem is likely in the rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is no way the State fanbase is as poor as people claim.

10k people contributing $100/month would be $12m/year. And knowing plenty of people contribute more than $100/month, the number of contributors needed at or above this level is a good bit less than 10k. We sent more than that to Omaha during a pandemic.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
DAMB IT. WE DONUT EVER HOLD ON TO ANYTHING NICE. BUT WE KEEP THE &TATE SCRIPT L0G0. 17.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login