Baseball observations

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Dohm gave up some good contact pitching. I was a little concerned there. He did pound the strike zone which is good. Only 1 earned run thru 4 (2 runs overall). I’m not sure he is a Friday sec starter but it is way too early to make that call. Only 2 walks of the game were by him.
Siary gave up solid contact as well. A little concerning.
Davis and our 3 arm slot guy (not sure how to spell his name looked really good.
I was a bit disappointed we didn’t dominate, but after scrolling through sec scores, Fla got upset, vandy gave up double digit runs and had to walk it off at the end. Lsu gave up more runs than us in a struggle win. And arky gave up 4 and only scored 6. It’s early.
I was also impressed with Cupps at bats. 3 walks on the night. He is bigger than I imagined he would be.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I think AF has decent hitting. We will see how it turns out. Hopefully we will smoke them today.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Dohm gave up some good contact pitching. I was a little concerned there. He did pound the strike zone which is good. Only 1 earned run thru 4 (2 runs overall). I’m not sure he is a Friday sec starter but it is way too early to make that call. Only 2 walks of the game were by him.
Siary gave up solid contact as well. A little concerning.
Davis and our 3 arm slot guy (not sure how to spell his name looked really good.
I was a bit disappointed we didn’t dominate, but after scrolling through sec scores, Fla got upset, vandy gave up double digit runs and had to walk it off at the end. Lsu gave up more runs than us in a struggle win. And arky gave up 4 and only scored 6. It’s early.
I was also impressed with Cupps at bats. 3 walks on the night. He is bigger than I imagined he would be.
I thought Schuelke was a pleasant surprise. It would be nice to have a sidearm shutdown guy like we did in Van Johnson.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I think any lefty with good stuff that can throw their off speed and breaking balls for strikes is going to shut down our hitters. Last year, the NCAA tested a tighter strike zone and our hitters still struggled with chasing out of strike zone pitches. Our opponents has more patience and our staff gave up a ton of walks and the team paid for it in big losses.
This year, the story is they have gone back to the wider strike zone they had in the past. It showed last night as Schülke kept getting the call on the overhand backdoor curve that was 3 inches off the plate. Meanwhile, our hitters kept chasing the stuff down and away, couldn't pick up spin and Shim continuously got the curve over the plate and our guys watched it go by.

all thst to say, it is just one game. After 5 or 6 games adjusting to the umps going back to the wider zone, hopefully the hitters will adjust, pick up the spin and find contact .
There 3 hole hitter hit a breaking ball out if the park. Tracking the curve is hard to do with the decision time you get from 60 feet, but it can be done. Hitters don't face breaking balls in BP. Need jugs guns that create side and downward spin in the batting cages.😎😎

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think any lefty with good stuff that can throw their off speed and breaking balls for strikes is going to shut down our hitters. Last year, the NCAA tested a tighter strike zone and our hitters still struggled with chasing out of strike zone pitches. Our opponents has more patience and our staff gave up a ton of walks and the team paid for it in big losses.
This year, the story is they have gone back to the wider strike zone they had in the past. It showed last night as Schülke kept getting the call on the overhand backdoor curve that was 3 inches off the plate. Meanwhile, our hitters kept chasing the stuff down and away, couldn't pick up spin and Shim continuously got the curve over the plate and our guys watched it go by.

all thst to say, it is just one game. After 5 or 6 games adjusting to the umps going back to the wider zone, hopefully the hitters will adjust, pick up the spin and find contact .
There 3 hole hitter hit a breaking ball out if the park. Tracking the curve is hard to do with the decision time you get from 60 feet, but it can be done. Hitters don't face breaking balls in BP. Need jugs guns that create side and downward spin in the batting cages.😎😎
I don't know what it is about our team, but left-handed pitchers that can throw a breaking ball, give us a hard time every year. Do we really not work on breaking pitches during batting practice?

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
If we run Dohm out there on Friday nights in the SEC, that dude goes 6 innings in 3 starts and is shelled and relegated to mid week relief.
If that’s what we have for Friday it’s going to be another long season.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login