Baseball portal class looks finalized.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
Cue meltdown with Montgomery reportedly headed to A&M.

Hope the other 4 pieces turn out to be studs, but apparently only 1 of them had other Power 5 suitors.

Gonna be a rough 2024 at DNF.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Hope the other 4 pieces turn out to be studs, but apparently only 1 of them had other Power 5 suitors.

At the very least, we should have better pitching. Then we fire Lemonis if we still suck overall.

I don’t know if this is true or not, but TAMU really isn’t a huge step down from Stanford if you believe the academic rankings. I could see it. The guy is a gifted student and athlete.

What a cluster17…. Cohen drove Schloss away, and hired a nobody that won a natty. Schloss is a choke artist and will never win one, but their optics have been way better than ours lately.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I like the Memphis 3B, and I think the D-II pitcher will be a decent middle reliever or possibly even a midweek starter for us. But overall, considering our needs, this has been a disaster.
We gained a legit pitching coach. That can’t be overstated. I think the prospect of having our arms, many of which are very highly regarded, under the tutelage of somebody that doesn’t suck can only help.

Offensively, we should be fine. Defensively, we had some very solid addition by subtraction.

If we still suck at the end of this year, only Lemonis can be blamed. And it will be time for him to pack his bags.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
At the very least, we should have better pitching. Then we fire Lemonis if we still suck overall.

I don’t know if this is true or not, but TAMU really isn’t a huge step down from Stanford if you believe the academic rankings. I could see it. The guy is a gifted student and athlete.

What a cluster17…. Cohen drove Schloss away, and hired a nobody that won a natty. Schloss is a choke artist and will never win one, but their optics have been way better than ours lately.
A&M is a huge academic downgrade from Stanford

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

We should see who wants to play D1 from
and
and
and

Reactions: Maroon Pug

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Did I miss a thread on Montgomery?? Where is the TAMU rumor coming from?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
A&M is a huge academic downgrade from Stanford
Maybe in the private vs. public scenario. TAMU is an elite public university, just like Stanford is an elite private one. They’re both all but impossible to get into for anybody below elite to very excellent academically.

17 both of them sideways. But going from one top 100 school to another isn’t exactly slumming.

Reactions: HRMSU

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We were stuck on how much it would cost to fire him. The real question was how much it would cost to keep him. Typical small minded Mississippi State thinking.
That was all a BS rumor. Buyout was less than people were claiming. We just had a new AD not ready to make that move because he didn't have time to get his feet under him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That was all a BS rumor. Buyout was less than people were claiming. We just had a new AD not ready to make that move because he didn't have time to get his feet under him.
The number was inflated for sure. AD doesn’t get a pass though. If he’s not ready to do his damn job on the day we hired him, we hired the wrong AD. I was excited when we hired him, but his performance so far has been Templetonesque.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Maybe in the private vs. public scenario. TAMU is an elite public university, just like Stanford is an elite private one. They’re both all but impossible to get into for anybody below elite to very excellent academically.

17 both of them sideways. But going from one top 100 school to another isn’t exactly slumming.
It’s just that rankings are ordinal. I’ve been affiliated with multiple top 25 universities, and top 10 undergrand are truly a step above. Value of that depends on what you want to do, though.

Reactions: HRMSU and eckie1

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

You've got a coach who won the school's first team national championship ever two years ago and you're a brand new AD who just met the guy.

Maybe, just maybe, giving the guy one more year so you can make your own assessment of competence makes some sense.

But don't tell that to the Lemonis Bad crowd.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You've got a coach who won the school's first team national championship ever two years ago and you're a brand new AD who just met the guy.

Maybe, just maybe, giving the guy one more year so you can make your own assessment of competence makes some sense.

Don’t be bringing logic up in here

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

He won with some else's players. He's run it in the ditch since. The guy isn't good. I get the AD issue and completely understand that. Just an unfortunate timing thing.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It doesn’t matter how new the AD was, or how much the buyout was. He wasn’t one of the ones personally paying the buyout (or salary for the next guy), so it wasn’t his decision.

The people who would have been paying the buyout are virtually the same people that named him AD. Same way it always works. Whatever credit or blame is due goes straight to them.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Imagine buying out a failing restaurant. The whole town's saying that the food's not what it used to be, the place is operating with half the staff that's needed because it can't keep workers, and the business hasn't turned a profit in 2 years. Meanwhile, joints all over town are doing great, and new spots are popping up a monthly basis.

I am trying as hard as I can to wrap my head around a sensible scenario where the new owner comes in and says to himself.... you know what, I think I'll hang on to this GM a little while longer

patdog

May 28, 2007
Imagine buying out a failing restaurant. The whole town's saying that the food's not what it used to be, the place is operating with half the staff that's needed because it can't keep workers, and the business hasn't turned a profit in 2 years. Meanwhile, joints all over town are doing great, and new spots are popping up a monthly basis.

I am trying as hard as I can to wrap my head around a sensible scenario where the new owner comes in and says to himself.... you know what, I think I'll hang on to this GM a little while longer
If there’s one athletic program on campus we should have high expectations for, it’s baseball. But nobody cares anymore We've fired coaches in several sports recently for better results than we’ve had in baseball the last 2 years.

Reactions: 60sdog

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

If he's not competent enough to look at Bucket Boys performance the last two years then we've got more than one issue.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Don’t be bringing logic up in here
I guess that we've done so well the last two years that it doesn't matter who the players are now. We did not need the better players, anyhow. We'll have the same coach, which will make all the difference. He just needs another year to show us how good of a coach he is.

Deere Lowered

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
One thing is consistent around here. There is always a group who believes the quick firing of the coach of an underperforming team is the absolute best solution to the problem.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The problem is that we're going to be a little bit better next year and sneak into a Regional as a 3 seed, and then the same people who made sure we kept Lemonis this past year will insist that you can't fire a coach after making a Regional, and we'll be stuck with him through 2026 or longer.

If we don't host next year, or at the very least barely miss out on hosting (like 2014), Lemonis should be all out of chances. But we all know he's not fired unless we miss a Regional again, or it may even take missing Hoover again.

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Has Montgomery announced his decision yet? Where is it being reported he is going to A&M?

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
One thing is consistent around here. There is always a group who believes the quick firing of the coach of an underperforming team is the absolute best solution to the problem.

Agree with your main point 💯

I'll just say that most of us on here have been or will be hiring managers at some point. I've made good hires and I've made bad hires. It generally doesn't take 2 years to figure out which one you made.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Agree with your main point 💯

I'll just say that most of us on here have been or will be hiring managers at some point. I've made good hires and I've made bad hires. It generally doesn't take 2 years to figure out which one you made.

It can if that manager has proven he can reach the absolute pinnacle of his profession two years ago.

These analogies are pretty weak.

Reactions: birdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login