Baseball recruiting

expireddog

Oct 4, 2013
What’s the story on Aiden Fancher Winston academy deciding to go to EMCC instead of coming to State? Injury or scholarship number casualty?

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Total speculation here based on general information and not about any specific player. Word that I have read is that several recruits that were considered “developmental” types would be asked to find new destinations. This is so we can hit the transfer portal hard b/c we need immediate help next year. Supposedly there is going to be a pretty big change with the existing roster as well.

I have no idea if Fancher falls into this category or not.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
I did hear that Fancher’s senior season was not going well at the plate.

Not sure if that’s related to his decision.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We are 3rd in BA and 3rd in HR in conference games

Last edited by a moderator:

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
Total speculation here based on general information and not about any specific player. Word that I have read is that several recruits that were considered “developmental” types would be asked to find new destinations. This is so we can hit the transfer portal hard b/c we need immediate help next year. Supposedly there is going to be a pretty big change with the existing roster as well.

This is what happened to the two Hartfield Academy boys.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Its the top conference in the country. But the main point which was obviously missed is a guy hitting at a low BA and few HRs is not a perfect fit for us bc we have done those fairly well. Just own it that you made a Dumb statement

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
6 guys in this lineup carrying production. My statement about Fancher was his numbers are very similar to our revolving door of guys in center, Leggett, Seibert, etc. if you think this team as a whole is one of the top 3 offenses in the sec you need to learn ball

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
6 guys in this lineup carrying production. My statement about Fancher was his numbers are very similar to our revolving door of guys in center, Leggett, Seibert, etc. if you think this team as a whole is one of the top 3 offenses in the sec you need to learn ball

Beep, beep, beep, beep.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
6 guys generally carry every lineup. There are Sieberts and Leggett on every roster. Just own it. You made a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is so we can hit the transfer portal hard b/c we need immediate help next year. Supposedly there is going to be a pretty big change with the existing roster as well.
This is the best baseball news I've heard in almost 11 months.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Do you seriously think we have a high-powered offense? My point was Fancher would fit in with the Seiberts, Skinners, Leggetts of the world

Sickdawg

Oct 28, 2018
With SEC batting numbers like that and our record, we have to be last in situational hitting/ RISP.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Actually, 1-3 guys generally carry every lineup. 80/20 principle.

Of course, if the whole lineup is stout, then the production will be exponential (think our 2016 and 2019 lineups, which were solid up and down the order, but still 1-3 guys were still the engine). But this is rare.

You're much more likely to have lineups like our 2021 lineup. Or 1985 for that matter.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Do you seriously think we have a high-powered offense? My point was Fancher would fit in with the Seiberts, Skinners, Leggetts of the world
Team OPS is 855, which is 2nd highest since the balls changed in 2015. Only 2019 was higher at 869.

For reference, 2021 was 814. 2016 (widely known as a very potent lineup) was 831.

These numbers are not the end-all-be-all, especially in college. Stats in general are better suited for pro ball, since schedules are more controlled and even. But what it DOES do, is shatter the narrative that our hitting is the big problem this season.

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Surely that amazing offense scored more than 11 runs in the biggest weekend series of the season against a Florida team that just lost their Friday night ace

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Surely that amazing offense scored more than 11 runs in the biggest weekend series of the season against a Florida team that just lost their Friday night ace
I look at big picture data, not just individual pieces. You should adopt the same mindset, it will keep you from looking like an idiot.

Of course, most people are stupid and have hot-takes like yours, so I'm probably the outlier.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

I have no idea if Fancher falls into this category or not.
Be curious to know what developmental means to the staff. If we are turning away big, rangy, fast athletic types that just need some reps, I would say this is a mistake. If we are turning away lifelong baseball-only travel-ballers, probably a good move.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, here's the big picture. We are next to last in runs scored in SEC conference games with 91. This team has major problems both on the mound and at the plate.

Edit: Never mind. Just realized the Google link to SEC baseball stats took me to softball stats instead. We're actually middle of the pack in runs scored in baseball.

Last edited:

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
We don't do the little things right at the plate. They don't necessarily show up in the stats, but I would love to know the following.

How many times do we have productive out with RISP less than 2 outs? Simple things like advancing the runners with ground balls to the right side or sac fly? We seemed to thrive at those situations last year, whereas this year we K or pop up. It seems like we lacked a situational approach all season. Everyone seems to be HR or bust, especially with RISP.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They don't necessarily show up in the stats
They kinda do. We K a ton, which doesn't show up in batting stats as any different than a ground out, but if run production is middle of the pack, that shows we aren't putting balls in play enough.

A high K rate is one of the worst things a team can have. Dead outs.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I look at stats and analytics, I'm also a believer in the eye test. When I watch this team I see a lot of solo home runs, runners on 1st and 3rd no outs and a double play, runners on 1st and 2nd and scoring nothing, or sac flies. There isn't a stat for any of that but this team seems to never capitalize on its opportunities which is why we're 25-24 right now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. This certainly looks like a very wasteful team offensively. Also, I suspect if you looked at median runs per game instead of total runs, we’d be closer to the bottom.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I look at stats and analytics, I'm also a believer in the eye test. When I watch this team I see a lot of solo home runs, runners on 1st and 3rd no outs and a double play, runners on 1st and 2nd and scoring nothing, or sac flies. There isn't a stat for any of that but this team seems to never capitalize on its opportunities which is why we're 25-24 right now.
I see a team with a much bigger hole on the pitcher's mound, than at the plate. That is the reason we aren't a regional right now.

Sure, hitting could improve, in the ways previously discussed (not by you), but pitching is by far the more glaring weakness (mainly due to injury). It's not debatable, just silly to say otherwise. It's just downright sad to see people not understand this.

And I'm not trying to be a dick, it's guys like you making the hot takes. I'm just responding, trying to fight the good fight. It's senseless, though, just wasting my time.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I agree that pitching is more concerning but lets not pretend we have an offense that is comparable to the 2016 or 2019 teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login