Baseball roster churn

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There’s been a lot of recent talk about Lemonis hitting the portal and making some significant roster changes prior to next season. However, when looking through our list of players yesterday, I was actually surprised to see very few lacking eligibility to return.

So Davis, Yeager, Talley, and Leggett are gone. Then I guess Sims and Tanner are draft locks, but who else do y’all expect to not be back next season?

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Aren’t Tullar, Johnson and Brandon Smith seniors that don’t have any eligibility left? The other possibilities are Cumbest and James although I believe both need to comeback.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
At least per hailstate, Smith and Tuller are Jrs from an eligibility standpoint, and Johnson is just a Soph. I think that free Covid season has really scrambled things for some of these guys that seem like they’ve been around forever

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Hancock, James and Cumbest are likely gone. As is Preston.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There’s been a lot of recent talk about Lemonis hitting the portal and making some significant roster changes prior to next season. However, when looking through our list of players yesterday, I was actually surprised to see very few lacking eligibility to return.

So Davis, Yeager, Talley, and Leggett are gone. Then I guess Sims and Tanner are draft locks, but who else do y’all expect to not be back next season?

I think some of the people that have eligibility left you have to ask whether they can really contribute or whether you need to make space for transfers. I don't know anything about the potential of these players, but just looking at playing time on this years teams and stats:

Drew McGowan is batting .192. Sophomore eligibility wise but a third year player.
Corder is batting .171. Same as McGowan
Meche doesn't have a good batting average but he is a true sophomore and gotten to play a good bit.
Walling has another year but presumably he'll go the cerantola route and try to fix his control issues in the minors.
SKinner has another year left but maybe you see if you can upgrade?
Maybe there are some true freshmen or sophomores that you have seen in practice and know they just aren't SEC players?

I haven't suggested any pitchers just because it's so easy for a pitcher to suck one year and then figure it out, but maybe there is a pitcher that you are willing to cut lose in order to bring in an extra transfer.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Lemonis has his work cut out for him. I think it's gonna take another season to get right

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Hancock, James and Cumbest are likely gone. As is Preston.

What’s that based on? With the possible exception of Johnson, I don’t expect any of those guys to be high draft picks. Not high enough to make it a no brainer decision for them to leave, at least.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Age. Age is huge in the draft. James is the only one I could see coming back. I dont expect Hancock to get drafted but I think he signs FA.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Age. Age is huge in the draft. James is the only one I could see coming back. I dont expect Hancock to get drafted but I think he signs FA.

Only appeal I could see for Hancock is proving he's an adequate catcher could help his stock

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Age doesn’t trump not having an MLB position, which is something that Hancock and Cumbest do not have currently. Cumbest might be able to learn 1B in the minors, but he doesn’t have the skill set to be an MLB outfielder. Not to mention he has a lot to clean up in his plate approach as well.

Hancock could possibly play 1B adequately, but doesn’t hit with enough power to play 1B at the MLB level. Too many better options at a non-premium defensive position. But if he’s just ready to move on and either try the minors or just try something else in his life / career, can’t really blame him.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Lemonis has his work cut out for him. I think it's gonna take another season to get right

The new coach at A&M cut about a 1/3 or the roster he inherited and reloaded in the portal. A&M went from last place in the West last season (9-21) to tied for 1st place in the West this season and in the discussion as a Top 8 seed.

It can be done. Can Lemonis do it is the question.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
A bunch of these guys have already won a national title in college and may be ready to move on with their lives. Some could be back but I would expect very little from the 2021 roster to still be on campus in 2023.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
What’s that based on? With the possible exception of Johnson, I don’t expect any of those guys to be high draft picks. Not high enough to make it a no brainer decision for them to leave, at least.

Houston Harding wasn't drafted and he chose to leave and sign a free agent deal. Some of these guys are just ready to move on to the next level.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Doesn't matter for a lot of players. They know the odds of making the majors don't get any better the longer you play college ball. If you want any chance at all, you need to get into a minor league system sooner rather than later once your 3 years are up.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Most of the returning roster with promise will be guys who did not start but played some. Meche, Alford, Downs, Corder. Forsythe and Hines of course. McGowan should be back as should Clark although Kellum would have to show me some improvement at the plate this summer and fall. Still need to hit the portal for another middle infielder and a couple of outfielders/DH guys. On the hill we have Kohn, Walker, Cheatham, Fristoe, Cade Smith, Tepper, Walker, Auger, Simmons Don't expect to see Sims, Johnson, Brandon Smith back. Maybe not KC Hunt either. Need to hit the portal hard for at least 1 SEC starter and maybe 2 as well as a couple of relievers. I really don't think we can consider anybody returning as having a safe starting position. Everybody should be competing to get on the field next season.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Id be surprised to get much out of Auger. Simmons maybe. Thats a long, tough recovery.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think some of the people that have eligibility left you have to ask whether they can really contribute or whether you need to make space for transfers. I don't know anything about the potential of these players, but just looking at playing time on this years teams and stats:

Drew McGowan is batting .192. Sophomore eligibility wise but a third year player.
Corder is batting .171. Same as McGowan
Meche doesn't have a good batting average but he is a true sophomore and gotten to play a good bit.
Walling has another year but presumably he'll go the cerantola route and try to fix his control issues in the minors.
SKinner has another year left but maybe you see if you can upgrade?
Maybe there are some true freshmen or sophomores that you have seen in practice and know they just aren't SEC players?

I haven't suggested any pitchers just because it's so easy for a pitcher to suck one year and then figure it out, but maybe there is a pitcher that you are willing to cut lose in order to bring in an extra transfer.

Non of these are SEC Caliber players or really have the potential to be. With the Portal, there is no time to develop players, we need immediate impact players.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Id be surprised to get much out of Auger. Simmons maybe. Thats a long, tough recovery.

Weren’t their injuries only like a month apart? Seems like they’d both be long shots for 2023. Even if healthy they likely will not have returned to form yet.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Cumbest has no leverage if he comes back. He is the perfect Minor League guy. Just spend unlimited hours trying to recognize breaking ball

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think it's the opposite. Hancock is the only one with a chance to be back. Cumbest is gone. James will be back if not drafted but he likely will.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Age doesn’t trump not having an MLB position, which is something that Hancock and Cumbest do not have currently. Cumbest might be able to learn 1B in the minors, but he doesn’t have the skill set to be an MLB outfielder. Not to mention he has a lot to clean up in his plate approach as well.

Hancock could possibly play 1B adequately, but doesn’t hit with enough power to play 1B at the MLB level. Too many better options at a non-premium defensive position. But if he’s just ready to move on and either try the minors or just try something else in his life / career, can’t really blame him.

Don't know why this got downvoted. It's a very accurate assessment.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
As of now, he is not coming back. Things can always change

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They announced about 45 days apart. I agree. I think even Simmons is likely not a factor

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Doesn't matter for a lot of players. They know the odds of making the majors don't get any better the longer you play college ball. If you want any chance at all, you need to get into a minor league system sooner rather than later once your 3 years are up.

I get this but so many of these players don't really have a shot at the majors regardless, it seems like more of them should be enjoying being the man on an SEC team. Mule I get. He has the physical potential and since he hasn't focused on baseball exclusively on campus, being a full time MiLB player might allow him to catch up some.

Does James have the measurables to make him a MLB prospect? If not, I'd enjoy a year in college.

If I were Hancock, I think I'd come back and be the man at Catcher rather than go chase an extremely small chance in the minors. Maybe showing some potential at catcher would increase the odds that a team would invest some PT in him. Of course, it'd probalby be more appealing to him if it looked like we were going to be good next year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I get this but so many of these players don't really have a shot at the majors regardless, it seems like more of them should be enjoying being the man on an SEC team. Mule I get. He has the physical potential and since he hasn't focused on baseball exclusively on campus, being a full time MiLB player might allow him to catch up some.

Does James have the measurables to make him a MLB prospect? If not, I'd enjoy a year in college.

If I were Hancock, I think I'd come back and be the man at Catcher rather than go chase an extremely small chance in the minors. Maybe showing some potential at catcher would increase the odds that a team would invest some PT in him. Of course, it'd probalby be more appealing to him if it looked like we were going to be good next year.

There is also a chance at bigger signing bonus by leaving early. Someone like James, who probably has a chance to be a decently high selection (4th round or so), would probably get a decent signing bonus leaving after his junior season. Slot values in 4th and 5th rounds are over $300k. Drafted as a senior with no leverage, that signing bonus is peanuts.

Mafiadawg

Nov 5, 2013
No sports programs lose more players to “pro ball” off bad teams than MSU. Usually it’s football and hoops only but this year baseball gets to join the crowd.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
James still has 2 years left with his covid year - so he'd still be in position for a good signing bonus after next season if he returns. I think he could do well with another year, but didn't know he was projected that high. I'd be gone if I were him and got drafted that early.

I've got to imagine Cumbest is gone, he's got more upside than anyone after some work in the minors. Hancock seems like one of those guys that should come back to finish out his career here.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I wasn’t suggesting that. Im saying that when trying to project our arms next year I dont think we can expect much from them. If we get Something then great

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
James still has 2 years left with his covid year - so he'd still be in position for a good signing bonus after next season if he returns. I think he could do well with another year, but didn't know he was projected that high. I'd be gone if I were him and got drafted that early.

I've got to imagine Cumbest is gone, he's got more upside than anyone after some work in the minors. Hancock seems like one of those guys that should come back to finish out his career here.

He may not be projected that high. Seems like I remember he was thought of pretty highly coming out of high school. I think most scouts likely view him as someone who has a lot of potential. I don’t think he’s first round type guy though. I think James has definitely helped himself by settling in at 3rd. He went from being a liability at SS to a good 3rd baseman.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
There is also a chance at bigger signing bonus by leaving early. Someone like James, who probably has a chance to be a decently high selection (4th round or so), would probably get a decent signing bonus leaving after his junior season. Slot values in 4th and 5th rounds are over $300k. Drafted as a senior with no leverage, that signing bonus is peanuts.

I don’t know that he’s projected that high. He didn’t get drafted at all last year, despite being eligible. He also wasn’t on the MLB.com Top 150 list the last I checked. For comparison, Logan Tanner is #28 and Sims is #32 on that list.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login