Baseball rules question

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Had a weird one last night. Pitcher made a step towards 3rd where there was a base runner, caught him leaning, and then got him a rundown, and he ran out of the baseline for an out.
The opposing coach appealed that the pitcher had balked, and after a rather lengthy conversation, the umpires agreed and awarded the runner home base.

I honestly can't find whether a balk can be granted on appeal.
I think that's because balks are normally called instantly, and can't be appealed.
My expectation would then be that no, a balk can't be granted on appeal.

What are y'all's thoughts?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
That's a tricky one. I'd say no, it shouldn't be granted on appeal. In my opinion a balk is a judgment call a la balls and strikes, which also can't be challenged or changed upon appeal.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Had a weird one last night. Pitcher made a step towards 3rd where there was a base runner, caught him leaning, and then got him a rundown, and he ran out of the baseline for an out.
The opposing coach appealed that the pitcher had balked, and after a rather lengthy conversation, the umpires agreed and awarded the runner home base.

I honestly can't find whether a balk can be granted on appeal.
I think that's because balks are normally called instantly, and can't be appealed.
My expectation would then be that no, a balk can't be granted on appeal.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Is it technically an appeal though, like if a runner left a bag early on a fly out or failed to check his swing, or is it just asking the umps to confer and get the call right?

Technically, can't any ump call a balk, so who would you be appealing it to?

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Can you fake to 3B in your league? In leagues where the 3rd-to-1st move is outlawed, you can’t fake to 3rd unless you step off the rubber. So if the runner broke and the pitcher ran at him instead of throwing to 3B, it’s a balk.

Which would make sense because then the appeal wasn’t a judgment call as to whether there was a balk, it was a rule question as to whether the pitcher had to throw or else balk.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Fake to 3rd is allowed in our league.

Good thought, though.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
That's a good question.

While the opposing coaches were throwing around the word appeal, after looking through the rulebook that can't technically be an appeal, since there are very specific things that get that label, and not many of them.
Everything else is a conference between umpires where ones asks another for help in getting a call right.
So, did that conference include one guy telling the other "yeah, it was a balk, and I missed it at the moment, sorry"? ....that's about all I can come up with where this should've been possible. Since they took several minutes to hash it out, I'm guessing that wasn't it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login