Baseball scheduling in expanded SEC

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
There has been a good bit of speculation about how football scheduling will look once OU and Texas join the SEC, but very little talk about baseball schedule. I would assume divisions will be eliminated, but will you go to 4 permanent opponents and rotate the other 6 series. Interested in how they do this as equity will be much harder (though less people care) than football.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I'd be ok with 4 permanents, as long as they are natural rivalries due to proximity or history. We keep OM, LSU, Ark, and maybe get Bama or Auburn as the permanent 4. Or add the other alabama school and go 5/5...I'd be ok with that. As much as I'd love to take a break from LSU or Arkansas I feel like if they go with any sort of permanent + rotational split, we'll end up keeping them as permanents.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Five permanent opponents & five opponents that rotate yearly so schools will face every other SEC school over the course of two years.

Never mind. That's problematic when it comes to scheduling.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Go to 36 conference games over 12 weekends, and also play the other 3 in single game midweeks on Tuesdays in May to develop a 4th starter for the Regionals. That makes a total of 39 games.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Everything will work out to four 16 team conferences in 5-10 years in all sports. We just need to make sure we are one of the 64 programs. That’s why we have to keep investing in football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe. Or it may work out to one 32-team super conference in football with the wild wild west world of transfer rules & NIL money.

engie

May 29, 2011
Go to 36 conference games over 12 weekends, and also play the other 3 in single game midweeks on Tuesdays in May to develop a 4th starter for the Regionals. That makes a total of 39 games.

This is close to my ideal scenario. Or keep it 10 series with midweek home and home with the other 5 for a total of 40. Yea it’s a pain in the *** for team travel and fans, but the sec network gets an additional treasure trove of midweek conference baseball

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Everything will work out to four 16 team conferences in 5-10 years in all sports. We just need to make sure we are one of the 64 programs. That’s why we have to keep investing in football.
That’s not happening anytime soon. And even if it does, we are already one of the 16 as we are currently in the SEC. Much more likely that one big football ‘league’ takes shape, with all the ‘haves’, rather than what you say.

But MOST likely is an expanded playoff, and everything stays nearly the same, with a little shuffling here and there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login