Baseball talk

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Damn. He's increased his velocity because the last time I read about him he wasn't that fast.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
So, my understanding is that he can’t change arms during a single at bat. Is that correct?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So, my understanding is that he can’t change arms during a single at bat. Is that correct?
That would be my guess. My guess and my opinion on what the rule should be is that a switch hitter gets to pick the pitcher's arm he uses.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That would be my guess. My guess and my opinion on what the rule should be is that a switch hitter gets to pick the pitcher's arm he uses.
Why should a hitter choose what the pitcher does? The rule be that how you start an AB, whether pitcher or hitter, you're stuck until the AB is over or there's a change in hitter/pitcher.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why should a hitter choose what the pitcher does? The rule be that how you start an AB, whether pitcher or hitter, you're stuck until the AB is over or there's a change in hitter/pitcher.
Okay. So the batter steps up to the plate and the pitcher chooses which arm to use. At that point, the batter gets to switch to the other side of the plate and the pitcher cannot change arms at that point. Fair enough? So in essence, a switch hitter will be the decider in what arm the pitcher uses. Or the pitcher decides which side of the plate the switch hitter hits from but must use his opposite arm.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Okay. So the batter steps up to the plate and the pitcher chooses which arm to use. At that point, the batter gets to switch to the other side of the plate and the pitcher cannot change arms at that point. Fair enough? So in essence, a switch hitter will be the decider in what arm the pitcher uses.
How? The pitcher would just adapt again. No clue what the rules say, but seems easier be easier to enforce a batter staying in the box he first steps into. 2 batter's boxes. 1 mound/rubber. You regulate the choice from where you play, not how you play when you get there.

Reactions: johnson86-1

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Okay. So the batter steps up to the plate and the pitcher chooses which arm to use. At that point, the batter gets to switch to the other side of the plate and the pitcher cannot change arms at that point. Fair enough? So in essence, a switch hitter will be the decider in what arm the pitcher uses.
Pretty sure that is the actual rule put in place after the minor league (I think?) game where the batter would call time and switch sides everytime the pitcher changed arms.

To me, the rule is backwards. The pitcher steps to the mound and doesn't have to disrupt play to change arms. If the batter wants to switch how he bats without leaving the batters box, more power to him. But he shouldn't get to keep calling time.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

The Pat Venditte Rule​

Venditte's rare ambidextrous abilities prompted the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) to issue a new rule for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers, limiting the number of times that a switch-pitcher and switch-hitter can change sides during one at-bat. After consulting with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee, the PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008.[61] OBR Rule 5.07(f),[62] known as the "Pat Venditte Rule",[63] currently reads:

A pitcher must indicate visually to the umpire-in-chief, the batter and any runners the hand with which he intends to pitch, which may be done by wearing his glove on the other hand while touching the pitcher's rubber. The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury. In the event a pitcher switches pitching hands during an at-bat because he has suffered an injury, the pitcher may not, for the remainder of the game, pitch with the hand from which he has switched. The pitcher shall not be given the opportunity to throw any preparatory pitches after switching pitching hands. Any change of pitching hands must be indicated clearly to the umpire-in-chief.[64]

Both NCAA and the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) have adopted similar rules, being NCAA rule 9-2k and NFHS rule 6–1–1.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

The Pat Venditte Rule​

Venditte's rare ambidextrous abilities prompted the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) to issue a new rule for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers, limiting the number of times that a switch-pitcher and switch-hitter can change sides during one at-bat. After consulting with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee, the PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008.[61] OBR Rule 5.07(f),[62] known as the "Pat Venditte Rule",[63] currently reads:

Both NCAA and the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) have adopted similar rules, being NCAA rule 9-2k and NFHS rule 6–1–1.

To stop the dubmassery of this video, just let the pitcher decide what side the switch hitter bats from but he has to throw with the opposite arm.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Pretty sure that is the actual rule put in place after the minor league (I think?) game where the batter would call time and switch sides everytime the pitcher changed arms.

To me, the rule is backwards. The pitcher steps to the mound and doesn't have to disrupt play to change arms. If the batter wants to switch how he bats without leaving the batters box, more power to him. But he shouldn't get to keep calling time.

The Pat Venditte Rule​

This makes the most sense. The pitcher decides which arm he will pitch with and the hitter then picks the box. This preserves the advantage that switch hitters have always had but gives the switch pitcher the reverse advantage over everyone else. The switch pitcher is just so uncommon
That would be my guess. My guess and my opinion on what the rule should be is that a switch hitter gets to pick the pitcher's arm he uses

What makes the most sense is that the pitcher decides first which arm he will use for an AB then the hitter chooses which box he will hit from and neither can change unless there is a pitching change or a pinch hitter used in the middle of the AB.

This preserves most of the advantage the switch hitter has always had but still gives the switch pitcher that rare same advantage over everyone else. I said most but not all because there is still one advantage the switch pitcher has over the switch hitter. The switch pitcher can force the switch hitter into the box that he is weakest from or hits for less power from, or hits more ground balls if he needs a DP, etc.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This makes the most sense. The pitcher decides which arm he will pitch with and the hitter then picks the box. This preserves the advantage that switch hitters have always had but gives the switch pitcher the reverse advantage over everyone else. The switch pitcher is just so uncommon

What makes the most sense is that the pitcher decides first which arm he will use for an AB then the hitter chooses which box he will hit from and neither can change unless there is a pitching change or a pinch hitter used in the middle of the AB.

This preserves most of the advantage the switch hitter has always had but still gives the switch pitcher that rare same advantage over everyone else. I said most but not all because there is still one advantage the switch pitcher has over the switch hitter. The switch pitcher can force the switch hitter into the box that he is weakest from or hits for less power from, or hits more ground balls if he needs a DP, etc.
Yep. This makes the most sense. Pretty sure anyone in charge of baseball rules will go this way.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
How? The pitcher would just adapt again. No clue what the rules say, but seems easier be easier to enforce a batter staying in the box he first steps into. 2 batter's boxes. 1 mound/rubber. You regulate the choice from where you play, not how you play when you get there.
Nope. The pitcher chooses the arm but then the batter chooses the side of the plate. Case closed. Advantage still goes to the pitcher because he chooses what side of the plate the batter bats from but the switch hitter retains his well deserved and earned right to bat to an opposite arm.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I still don't think this makes sense. Why should the switch hitter get any advantage beyond picking which side of the plate he hits from? It's the batter's obligation to step into the box. Once he steps in the box and the pitcher steps to the mound, he shouldn't be able to get time for no reason other than he's unhappy with which side he chose. This also seems that it was consistent with the rules before they changed them to negate some of the advantage of a switch pitcher (at least according to my 3 second google research).

"The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat. (b) The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup." http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/06_the_batter.pdf

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Nope. The pitcher chooses the arm but then the batter chooses the side of the plate. Case closed. Advantage still goes to the pitcher because he chooses what side of the plate the batter bats from but the switch hitter retains his well deserved and earned right to bat to an opposite arm.

I would say the switch hitter hasn't earned **** compared to the person that has learned to pitch with both arms.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I would say the switch hitter hasn't earned **** compared to the person that has learned to pitch with both arms.
I don't discount how rare and extraordinary a switch pitcher is and I get that. .It shouldn't be 100% one sided though and it should be fair. My way is the only fair way IMO. What % of batters are switch hitters anyway? The switch pitcher has still a ton of advantages for the vast majority of his pitches thrown and I agree he has earned the hell out of it and even when facing switch hitters, he still gets to decide which side of the plate the switch hitter hits from.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Low 90s left side, 95 right side for our ambi pitcher. That's pretty crazy.

*hopefully not germans**

He was hitting those numbers before he got here and when working out for scouts.

The real question is the effectiveness and control of his off-speed pitches. I’m still not certain that Lemonis doesn’t just focus on developing him from one side. There is not likely enough allotted bullpen practice time for him to truly be effective with both the heat and the off speed stuff from both sides.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Since we’re talking baseball, I saw a picture of Lemonis on the twitters the other day. Is fat Lemonis back? Could be a good omen.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Yes. That's the rule. Pitcher declares arm. Batter can respond how he pleases. Pitcher commits to rest of AB with that arm (unless a pinch hitter replaces) and batter stays in the box he picks. You had argued that the batter can/should pick the arm the pitcher had to use.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yes. That's the rule. Pitcher declares arm. Batter can respond how he pleases. Pitcher commits to rest of AB with that arm (unless a pinch hitter replaces) and batter stays in the box he picks. You had argued that the batter can/should pick the arm the pitcher had to use.
Which was wrong on my part until I thought otherwise. I've seen nothing in the rule book, just been thinking about it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login