Baseball team struggling, not much fanfare with football and Easter Weekend...

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Not trying to turn this into another college football is dying debate, but for 35 years, I can remember anxiously awaiting our Spring game every single year. Couldn't wait to catch a glimpse of new players, the "stud" juco guys we signed, or to see who the new head hunters were going to be on defense this Fall. Fast forward to today, and in spite of already having a trip planned to go to Starkville this weekend, I had no idea that our Spring game was even occurring until just yesterday.

College football has lost a lot of luster for me in recent years

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
We also had open football practice at the stadium last weekend and the next weekend, further diminishing the spring game on Saturday.

LSU game on Saturday had SBW crowd feel though.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Not trying to turn this into another college football is dying debate, but for 35 years, I can remember anxiously awaiting our Spring game every single year. Couldn't wait to catch a glimpse of new players, the "stud" juco guys we signed, or to see who the new head hunters were going to be on defense this Fall. Fast forward to today, and in spite of already having a trip planned to go to Starkville this weekend, I had no idea that our Spring game was even occurring until just yesterday.

College football has lost a lot of luster for me in recent years

I think part of it is that we have so much information now than we used to. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and we know ten times more about the players and everything else than we used to. There is no mystery involved any more. On top of that everyone knows that we have Alabama in our division and virtually no chance to win anything that means anything. The SEC needs Nick Saban to retire. Once that happens it will at least give the other folks preseason hope.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think a lot of this has to do with age. I assume the core of this board is 35-55. Somewhere in that age guys just quit caring as much about a game played by 20 year olds.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
Its also not going to be a true spring game. There will be some scrimmage parts but its just another practice.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Nick Satan retiring won't change anything. The recruiting system is in place with the boosters. LSU kept on winning after he left and they kept getting the best players. One of the worst coaches in college football even won an NC there. Money talks while everything else is just noise.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
State athletics suck. Hell, the school barely promotes them. And planning stuff like this on Easter takes a damn fool in charge. Oh, wait...

BearcatBully

Mar 3, 2008
It's ridiculous. I know they wanted to wait till football practice could have their Spring scrimmage, but having SBW on an Easter weekend is just asking for poor attendance numbers. Students away at home, Families celebrating together and attending Easter services. People just aren't gonna go this year. The whole MSU/Starkville scene has become very anti-fan these days. It's like they just don't even care anymore.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's ridiculous. I know they wanted to wait till football practice could have their Spring scrimmage, but having SBW on an Easter weekend is just asking for poor attendance numbers. Students away at home, Families celebrating together and attending Easter services. People just aren't gonna go this year. The whole MSU/Starkville scene has become very anti-fan these days. It's like they just don't even care anymore.
None of that is really true. It's more fan-friendly than ever before, outside of things like TV, which MSU can't control.

As far as Easter on SBW, a lot of people come 'home' to Mississippi for Easter. It may have very good numbers, we'll just have to see. It's worth a try.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login