Baseball tournament only on ESPN+??

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Is that true? For some stupid reason I pay for it, I think, but that blows my mind. Softball was on the regular ESPN channels but baseball on ESPN+?

forgive me if this has already been discussed

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I only have SECN+ so I guess I ain't watching. I think the Supers are the first round where all games are on regular networks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some games on ESPNU, ESPN2, SECN and ACCN. But 1st two games of our regional on ESPN+. Guess I'll just keep track of how things are going.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Is that true? For some stupid reason I pay for it, I think, but that blows my mind. Softball was on the regular ESPN channels but baseball on ESPN+?

You typically have 16 games going at once so there is no way to show them all on the network. It wasn’t too long ago some just weren’t available for viewing at all.

They determine what games are on ESPN+ through analytics showing which teams fanbase are most likely call baseball a club sport.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Pretty sure you can just sign up for ESPN+ now and cancel when we're out. It's really not that expensive for 1 month. So you would pay $10.99 to watch all of State's games throughout the tournament.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I know we haven’t been in a regional in a long time.. but am I misremembering that 8 of the 16 started on Thursdays to allow more viewing opportunities?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I know we haven’t been in a regional in a long time.. but am I misremembering that 8 of the 16 started on Thursdays to allow more viewing opportunities?
No, all regionals have always been Friday-Monday (if necessary). Super Regionals split, with 4 starting Friday and 4 starting Saturday

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023

I believe softball was on, only because its Supers. Baseball supers are all on the regular channels I think too

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hmmm... SEC vs. ACC vs. Big 12 has to be on ESPN/SEC Network or in the ESPN app at no additional charge. Although I am curious if any SEC/ACC/Big 12 team is the "home" team, they may have to offer it at no additional charge as well.

They could put the other games on ESPN+ and make you buy it for those games based on what I understand about the live game rights they own.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Pretty sure you can just sign up for ESPN+ now and cancel when we're out. It's really not that expensive for 1 month. So you would pay $10.99 to watch all of State's games throughout the tournament.
Yep! I did the same thing last year for Peacock for the NFL. Pay for a month or 2 then cancel.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I think you’re confusing “available on” with “only on”. Some games will be on one of the “family of networks” and some will only be on ESPN+. ALL games will be available on ESPN+, even the ones on a regular ESPN network. Softball has done the same thing for their postseason. The alternative is that these games aren’t shown at all.

B2AEED4B-38A2-4298-90D8-145958051DD4.jpeg

Reactions: aTotal360

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think you’re confusing “available on” with “only on”. Some games will be on one of the “family of networks” and some will only be on ESPN+. ALL games will be available on ESPN+, even the ones on a regular ESPN network. Softball has done the same thing for their postseason. The alternative is that these games aren’t shown at all.

View attachment 581594

I think the argument is that if you pay for ESPN as part of your TV package, the games should all be available at no additional charge in in the ESPN app without having to subscribe to ESPN+ for $10.99 (and then cancel it in July)

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the argument is that if you pay for ESPN as part of your TV package, the games should all be available at no additional charge in in the ESPN app without having to subscribe to ESPN+ for $10.99 (and then cancel it in July)
Really for me, it's not the cost factor so much as the pain in the a** factor that's going to stop me from watching on ESPN+.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Just released from ESPN.... full TV schedule (some games on regular TV, streaming on ESPN+)

• Charlottesville: Richard Cross, Todd Walker
Is this OM's Dick Cross?

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Really for me, it's not the cost factor so much as the pain in the a** factor that's going to stop me from watching on ESPN+.
Really? I feel like it's one of the most widely available apps. I think ESPN is available on just about every streaming device I own, even the smart TVs.

It is so much easier to just go to the ESPN app and find the game I want to watch than it is to scroll through all of the different channels to find it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Well, that's a different argument entirely and that was previously the case when "ESPN 360" and "ESPN3" were more of a thing. I think at one time, ESPN was trying to leverage cable and dish companies into covering streaming as well, but I think that largely fell off. I see your point though, but I also see the other direction, too, in that ESPN+ is a separate service from ESPN's cable channels.

I think this will all become moot when Venu and ESPN's standalone services launch.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Really? I feel like it's one of the most widely available apps. I think ESPN is available on just about every streaming device I own, even the smart TVs.

It is so much easier to just go to the ESPN app and find the game I want to watch than it is to scroll through all of the different channels to find it.
I can find the game in about 5 seconds on Comcast if it's on a regular ESPN channel. About 10-20 seconds if it's on SECN+. Really, ESPN+ wouldn't take any longer to find. But I'd have to sign up for the service, keep track of my login and password, and then remember to cancel it (no telling how big a PITA they would make that process). I really just don't care that much.

Reactions: Maroon13 and Dawgg

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022

At one time the ESPN app was not available on LG tvs. I had to use a Firestick. I have since upgraded tvs so I am not sure if that is still the case but it was a couple of years ago

Reactions: Dawgg

kired

Aug 22, 2008

It's improved tremendously over the last ~5 years. There were many times in the past when the app was completely unusable - might work one day, but the next it would give you subscription errors no matter how many times you logged out & back in. Sometimes it would just randomly kick you out mid game and couldn't get it to work again. I'd guess half the time I tried to watch something, it wouldn't let me.

I still get errors but always works on second or third try. It's been a 2-3 years since it absolutely would not let me watch something, but I can understand why some people still hate the thought of it.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
At one time the ESPN app was not available on LG tvs. I had to use a Firestick. I have since upgraded tvs so I am not sure if that is still the case but it was a couple of years ago
Yeah, I think you're right on that. We have a Samsung in the living room and it has the ESPN app. The LG in the bedroom doesn't appear to, but the games are available inside the Hulu app since we have the Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle. Plus, we have a Roku soundbar on that one that we use anyway.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It's improved tremendously over the last ~5 years. There were many times in the past when the app was completely unusable - might work one day, but the next it would give you subscription errors no matter how many times you logged out & back in. Sometimes it would just randomly kick you out mid game and couldn't get it to work again. I'd guess half the time I tried to watch something, it wouldn't let me.

I still get errors but always works on second or third try. It's been a 2-3 years since it absolutely would not let me watch something, but I can understand why some people still hate the thought of it.
Yeah, I remember getting the time-outs on my phone when trying to load a game or it 'losing' my subscription status, but I haven't really had any problems in the past few years.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I can find the game in about 5 seconds on Comcast if it's on a regular ESPN channel. About 10-20 seconds if it's on SECN+. Really, ESPN+ wouldn't take any longer to find. But I'd have to sign up for the service, keep track of my login and password, and then remember to cancel it (no telling how big a PITA they would make that process). I really just don't care that much.
....and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at my house. However 1/2 the time I try to watch espn+ it ask me to login. I'm using the same tv and same internet/WiFi.... what's the problem???? Then when I'm logged in, wait for the app to load. Scroll down past every sport known to man to Find college baseball. Click. Then scroll right to find &tate.click ... yada yada yada. It's just easier to me to scroll the channels and boom, espn.

I appreciate the added coverage but it isn't easy.

However this weekend I'm out of town. So I will be in the Stone Age, listening to the radio. Thanks good for the HailState app.

Reactions: onewoof

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

I'll stick with X updates like I have all season long

Reactions: onewoof

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm really surprised there's not more stuff behind the + paywall. I expect more and more content behind the paywall.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm really surprised there's not more stuff behind the + paywall. I expect more and more content behind the paywall.
We have seen midweek games not covered by the ESPN TV package, and require ESPN+ at $10.99/month.

I think this would be an ESPN first for the post season -- pay to watch what you kinda already thought you have paid for.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We have seen midweek games not covered by the ESPN TV package, and require ESPN+ at $10.99/month.

I think this would be an ESPN first for the post season -- pay to watch what you kinda already thought you have paid for.
I get the app for free, but will begrudgingly pay $10.99 a month if everything was paywalled.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Looks like many of the games will require the $10.99/month ESPN+

1000016743.jpg

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login