Basketball Most Significant Transfers In and Out

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
ESPN had an article where they listed the best transfer in and most significant transfer out for every SEC program.
I can't argue Lawrence, but I'm not sure about Hansbrough.

Best transfer in: Lawrence Roberts, 2003-05
Roberts transferred out of Baylor as scandal engulfed the Bears program in 2003. He landed at Mississippi State, where he promptly won 2004 SEC player of the year honors. The Bulldogs won the regular season conference title that year, and earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Most significant transfer out: Ben Hansbrough, 2006-08
Hansbrough was the 2011 Big East player of the year at Notre Dame. That achievement is sufficient to earn Hansbrough this title in a notably crowded field of onetime Bulldogs like Romero Osby (first-team All-Big 12 with Oklahoma in 2013), Rodney Hood (second-team All-ACC with Duke in 2014) and Malik Newman (2015 McDonald's All-American who started 33 games for Kansas in 2017-18).

patdog

May 28, 2007
No arguments with either. But you've got to give a strong honorable mention to Shane Power for best transfer in.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
No arguments with either. But you've got to give a strong honorable mention to Shane Power for best transfer in.

Yea, and Roberts and Power were on the same team. Sad part is not having any significant transfers in since then while having a number of significant transfers out. I really thought some of the transfers in from last year's team were going to have a much bigger impact than they did.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Hansbrough had a huge senior season at ND. Who knows if he would have been that successful here - but he put up huge numbers, and was their best player his senior year.

Ironically Roberts and Hansbrough were both part of top 10 teams that were #2 seeds but got knocked out in the 2nd round.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Would go with Hansbrough but Osby and Newman come to mind too. If we’re talking misses due to the NBA though, Monta Ellis is number one, even over Bender

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Toward the end of the second round. To this day I'm shocked he didn't have an 10 year NBA career. I think it boiled down to size and how the NBA was played back then. At State he physically looked like a beast. Then when he got to the league, he was average sized.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Toward the end of the second round. To this day I'm shocked he didn't have an 10 year NBA career. I think it boiled down to size and how the NBA was played back then. At State he physically looked like a beast. Then when he got to the league, he was average sized.

Wikipedia says 27th pick overall to the Miami Heat.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

It was his knee. Chronic, if you will.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Would go with Hansbrough but Osby and Newman come to mind too. If we’re talking misses due to the NBA though, Monta Ellis is number one, even over Bender
Unless you assume having him would have prevented Roberts from coming here (although that might apply to Monta and Jamont, too), Travis Outlaw would be my pick here. The one year he would have been here was our best team since '96. The 99-00 and 05-06 teams would have been marginal either way.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
I hope Tolu adds his name to that incoming list after another season next year. If he can stay healthy, he has SEC player of the year potential.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login