Beard says UM will decline NIT bid

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Talk about a collapse. When they beat us in late January, they were 18-3 and ranked in the top 25. They proceeded to lose 9 of their last 11 games with the only two wins being against winless Missouri. Too bad, so sad.
That was clearly a house of cards even at the time though. I made a comment to an ole miss friend about beard doing a good job and bearing who your supposed to beat was a really good sign for them with beard, but that beard just didn’t have the talent yet to compete, and he was incredulous. Said “well we’ll be in the tournament”. Certainly not crazy to be hopeful at that point, but definitely had blinders to act like it was a sure thing and that it was crazy to think they weren’t actually good yet. Really enjoying them being at home now and being around that friend

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
In his defense, I would rather spend my coaching staffs time working the Portal instead of prepping for NIT…

patdog

May 28, 2007
In his defense, I would rather spend my coaching staffs time working the Portal instead of prepping for NIT…
How much can you really work the portal next week when most of the players you would want to bring in are playing in the NCAA tournament? I think this is just an excuse not to play in a meaningless tournament.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
How much can you really work the portal next week when most of the players you would want to bring in are playing in the NCAA tournament? I think this is just an excuse not to play in a meaningless tournament.
In Todays NCAA, Even if players are in the tournament, portal work is still being done.. but I agree the NIT is a meaningless tournament..

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That is stupid as heck from a program of Ole Miss' level. It really is. Maybe they weren't going to get one and he got the word through back channels.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
That is stupid as heck from a program of Ole Miss' level. It really is. Maybe they weren't going to get one and he got the word through back channels.
You would think a program like Ole Miss would jump at any postseason opportunity. Could be that he read the room and - like non-playoff bowl teams - became concerned about the number of participants.

Last edited:
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I believe the NIT is giving autobids to the top 2 teams in each Power conference's standings who don't make the NCAA Tournament.

So with us and A&M presumably playing our way into the big dance, LSU and Ole Miss would get the NIT autobids. I guess Georgia will get the 2nd one instead now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login