Because I’m still not done with LSU

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
here’s the alarming part to me that I don’t feel I’ve been able to put into words yet.

On our first drive of the game, we had a well balanced 87 yard drive for a TD. Rogers was a perfect 4-4 for 30 yds of passing. DJ and Marks combined for 52 yds rushing.

Over the next 53 minutes and 12 possessions…

Rogers: 20-38 for 184 yds
DJ/Marks: 48 total yds rushing

In other words, I thought we were past this level of offensive ineptitude in the Leach era, but we are again seeing proof that this air raid can be entirely shut down against a decent defense with a good gameplan.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
LSU adjusted, we didn’t. Will started holding the ball longer and got hit. Once he gets a good lick on him, he seems to digress pretty quickly during a game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What’s alarming to me is that the game went about like I was afraid it would. We got exposed, both offensively & defensively.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
JWS, Croom, Mullen, and JoMo had the same issue against the good teams, including LSU.

Telling that some fans are latched onto a loss to a team that we never beat, especially at their place.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I don't think we're ever going to get past these types of occasional performances under Leach. The whole point of the offense is to do the exact same thing over and over, play after play, driver after drive, game after game.

Honestly, I think that's why Leach gets his *** kicked in rivalry games. It's not hard to spend a little extra time in the offseason and really get a handle on how to stop us offensively.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A) the jury is entirely out on how good LSU is this year. Let’s not forget that an MSU team that was picked to finish somewhere between 5th and dead last in the West by most analysts was favored to go into BR at night and beat them.

B) The L sucked, but it’s not the part that stings. If we get beat on the road 45-42, fine. If we get beat 45-21 due to a dozen turnovers, ok. But getting shut down because you can’t move the ball for 53 minutes when we hired a coach whose calling card is moving the ball, that’s where I have the problem

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What’s alarming to me is that the game went about like I was afraid it would. We got exposed, both offensively & defensively.

It's LSU and that has been the story with them since JWS was head coach. We have a hard time beating them regardless how good we are or how bad they are. I am beginning to think JWS pissed off some Voodoo women when he was HC at State. We already having to deal with the dead Indians. That's a double whammy. *******

Last edited:

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
here’s the alarming part to me that I don’t feel I’ve been able to put into words yet.

On our first drive of the game, we had a well balanced 87 yard drive for a TD. Rogers was a perfect 4-4 for 30 yds of passing. DJ and Marks combined for 52 yds rushing.

In other words, I thought we were past this level of offensive ineptitude in the Leach era, but we are again seeing proof that this air raid can be entirely shut down against a decent defense with a good gameplan.

Washington shut down Leach every year, the last game of the season. Washington was always likely the most talented defense that Leach played each year there (maybe 2nd or 3rd some years), but also probably top 3 in coaching talent as well.

The Air Raid does this every season. It looks unstoppable sometimes (LSU '20, last 35 minutes of Auburn '21) and looks inept sometimes (Ark/UK '20, LSU '22). This is the Mike Leach experience. I'm already tired of it.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

So, zero dropped passes, zero bad passes and good run and pass blocking on the first drive. Wondered what changed? I could be wrong but I think it has more to do with us not consistently executing than LSU doing something to us. Granted the stud pass rusher was legit.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

Quit being so negative, and instead focus on the positives and more important things of having Leach and the air raid. Our quarterback still ranks #1 in the nation in completions per game!

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
So, zero dropped passes, zero bad passes and good run and pass blocking on the first drive. Wondered what changed? I could be wrong but I think it has more to do with us not consistently executing than LSU doing something to us. Granted the stud pass rusher was legit.

At a certain point, if you fail repeatedly because of "not consistently executing"... maybe, just maybe, it's a system feature and not a system glitch. And maybe, with a minor tweak, you can adjust the features of the system.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

THIS is our State****

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Once they were able to stop the run, it was over. IMO, elite SEC speed is the thing that CML cannot account for with his current system. Defenses are able to be more "multiple" and throw different looks at us. From a defensive perspective, there is a larger room for error when your entire secondary and LB corp can run like deer. Not to mention, their DL was getting pressure with 3 and 4 rushers.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Once they were able to stop the run, it was over. IMO, elite SEC speed is the thing that CML cannot account for with his current system. Defenses are able to be more "multiple" and throw different looks at us. From a defensive perspective, there is a larger room for error when your entire secondary and LB corp can run like deer. Not to mention, their DL was getting pressure with 3 and 4 rushers.
Unless we get elite speed.....whether that comes from the next Johnny Football, receivers, or some combination thereof......

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think a semi-mobile QB will make a huge difference. Making linebackers account for the threat of the run will slightly open up that drag across the middle we like to run.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Telling that some fans are latched onto a loss to a team that we never beat, especially at their place.
If our receivers had simply caught the football when it was thrown or punted to them, we would have won 3 of our last 5 in Baton Rouge

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
A) the jury is entirely out on how good LSU is this year. Let’s not forget that an MSU team that was picked to finish somewhere between 5th and dead last in the West by most analysts was favored to go into BR at night and beat them.

B) The L sucked, but it’s not the part that stings. If we get beat on the road 45-42, fine. If we get beat 45-21 due to a dozen turnovers, ok. But getting shut down because you can’t move the ball for 53 minutes when we hired a coach whose calling card is moving the ball, that’s where I have the problem

What's the tangible difference between a turnover and dropping a wide open pass on 3rd down? Nothing. We turned it over there and then we turned it over on a punt return giving them the ball inside our 10. We lost by 15 and those two plays pretty much sum up the game. We had other drops as well, but if we aren't going to catch the passes, then there isn't an offense that will work for us.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
On the bright side, we solved the slow start issues that have plagued us the last 2 years. 3 games - 3 TDs on our first drive.

Seriously - we've scored 35 in the first quarter in 3 games vs. 77 in 13 games last year.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The L sucked, but it’s not the part that stings. If we get beat on the road 45-42, fine. If we get beat 45-21 due to a dozen turnovers, ok. But getting shut down because you can’t move the ball for 53 minutes when we hired a coach whose calling card is moving the ball, that’s where I have the problem

Maybe not from you, but either a 45-42 loss or a 45-21 loss with a bunch of turnovers would have led to a similar meltdown here to what we got after 31-16.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
LSU will be good this year. They have top 5 recruiting talent over the last 5 years and a coach that can put it to good use. I'm just as pissed as you are but the fumbled punt broke our backs. All that was left after was the final score. The rules must have changed for pass defense is all I can figure out because they were playing man defense and covering our guys like a blanket. I'm not saying this because of our game alone. Defensive Backs are able to ride WRs down the field without getting flagged on every game I've watched this year.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Our blocking wasn’t great.
Did he hold on to the ball too long some? Sure but we didn’t block very well either.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
At a certain point, if you fail repeatedly because of "not consistently executing"... maybe, just maybe, it's a system feature and not a system glitch. And maybe, with a minor tweak, you can adjust the features of the system.

Or maybe the system implemented in the SEC requires better offensive lineman, more talented QBs and more consistent and fundamental receivers.....maybe not. When I see it work it proves to me it can work. The question is can it work consistently. Better players make any system work better but you can't hide weaknesses in some systems.

Now if you want to tell me the Air Raid won't work consistently enough at State then I'm listening. Based on our current OL recruiting I may even agree. None of this changes the facts of what we did on that 1st drive compared to the unforced drops and bad throws from that point on.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No doubt about Jackal ruining our tradition of beating Lootie.

It's LSU and that has been the story with them since JWS was head coach. We have a hard time beating them regardless how good we are or how bad they are. I am beginning to think JWS pissed off some Voodoo women when he was HC at State. We already having to deal with the dead Indians. That's a double whammy. *******

Before Jackal, we would regularly beat Lootie every other year without much fanfare. We were within 10 games of .500 against them and played them most every year.

Jackal was as equally our biggest curse as he was a blessing. Lost 100% as many games as he won here. And, his only claim to fame was beating some ****** Bama teams and winning more Egg Bowls than he lost (if that).

It’s not like Lootie was ****** every year back then, and Jackal still managed to destroy that rivalry. And managed to incorporate nice losing streaks to **** programs like the pigs and kaintuck, for good measure.

Thanks, Jackal!****

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
What's the tangible difference between a turnover and dropping a wide open pass on 3rd down? Nothing. We turned it over there and then we turned it over on a punt return giving them the ball inside our 10. We lost by 15 and those two plays pretty much sum up the game. We had other drops as well, but if we aren't going to catch the passes, then there isn't an offense that will work for us.
This all day long. Incredible how many of our fans discount this factor or blame it on Leach. And you didn't even mention how powerful momentum is. That muffed punt was the biggest turning point for momentum. But the drops added to that as well. Death Valley at night is perhaps the worst venue a team can afford to squander momentum & hand it to the other team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login