Before the hype sites come to life.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Yes, the latest GFS is putting a major hurricane into the MS Gulf coast in a couple weeks. Yes, it has been consistent in showing a tropical system in the Gulf for a couple of days now. No, I do not think this is going to happen. At least not to the extent being shown now. I just don't think water temps are warm enough to support a system like this. As of right now I'm thinking maybe a subtropical system or a depression at best. Maybe a low end tropical storm. Could I be wrong? Possibly. Will I be wrong? I seriously doubt it. But just be prepared for the hype sites to start losing their collective **** with this.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like the o6z had it moving into MEX. Not seeing any support from the Euro in the same time frame.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Man, I appreciate you weather bros, I really do. Good information. But damnit, it's a downer. I hate to see your name pop up because it means **** is going not going to be fun.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yes, the latest GFS is putting a major hurricane into the MS Gulf coast in a couple weeks. Yes, it has been consistent in showing a tropical system in the Gulf for a couple of days now. No, I do not think this is going to happen. At least not to the extent being shown now. I just don't think water temps are warm enough to support a system like this. As of right now I'm thinking maybe a subtropical system or a depression at best. Maybe a low end tropical storm. Could I be wrong? Possibly. Will I be wrong? I seriously doubt it. But just be prepared for the hype sites to start losing their collective **** with this.
This has been the driest May I can remember down here. It also was the windiest spring I can remember. Normally in Spring we go Storm/ Strong N wind/day or 2 of slight E SE winds/ Strong S winds/ Storm. This year as soon as a storm passed we had one day of N wind then it switched to strong S wind immediately. I know the pattern will likely change by summer but if it doesn’t storms will probably turn N and move quickly.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
And the GFS just keeps on hanging on to the hurricane threat.

Yes it does. It's been in long enough now that I could see something developing in the Gulf, but never in recorded history has there been a hurricane in the Gulf in May. So if it happens this time it will be a first. But if it does happen and it comes into the MS coast as the overnight gfs indicates, I guess $5.50/gal isn't too much to pay for diesel to go down there.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
never in recorded history has there been a hurricane in the Gulf in May.

A Once-Forgotten May Hurricane

A 2013 study by Michael Chenoweth and C.J. Mock unearthed a once-forgotten Civil War-era U.S. hurricane in late May 1863.
Named Amanda in honor of a Union ship driven ashore, this is the first known May U.S. hurricane landfall on record.
It came ashore in the Florida Panhandle on May 28 and killed at least 110 people.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login