Best Short Stops in MSU History

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
List the best 3 in order.
(Obviously Forsythe is not anywhere on this list.)

I don’t know who the best three are but I would think Matthew Maniscalco would be on the list. I’m just not a good enough MSU Baseball historian to remember who the others would be.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Paul Petrulis was damn good.

Brad Freeman and Maniscalco were solid.

Adam Frazier was really good as a college SS despite it not being his natural spot.

Jordan Westburg was good once he got adjusted.

We really haven’t had that many good ones, and certainly none that were considered elite guys that could play SS at the next level. Its certainly the hardest position of all to recruit high level guys into the college ranks. Outside of those 5 guys, for the past 30+ years we’ve generally just put a guy who was a plus defender but average to well below average hitter in that spot.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

I don’t know who the best three are but I would think Matthew Maniscalco would be on the list. I’m just not a good enough MSU Baseball historian to remember who the others would be.

Your thoughts?
That's a long list but of those I've personally seen I'd have to say (in no particular order) Jon Shave, Matthew Maniscalco, Adam Frazier, Brad Freeman, Jordan Westburg, Steve D'ercole'.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Javarious Windberg was a phenom, damn shame we wasted his talent.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Your thoughts?
I think he only played SS one year, but Berkery had a great senior year.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maniscalco was the best pure fielder. But even he missed a routine pop fly.

Remember that Forsythe won us a national title with his glove. He’s got something mental going on now but he was a big part of the mixed drink in 2021.

Brad Freeman used to laugh when he’d airmail throws. He’s not even close. I mean may as well go Jonathan Ogden lulzzz

Jon Shave maybe?

Ryan Gridley was very solid, as was Adam Frazier.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Alex Grammas probably should be given some consideration.

I doubt many or any of us saw him play, but this is the answer, no doubt. He stuck in the majors for 10 years because he was about as smooth a fielder as there was.

My dad saw him a lot and said he was among the best fielding infielders he ever saw.

Reactions: 60sdog

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
sounds as though you have wisdom which comes with age
I'm old so I don't remember if it was Mark Twain, Shania Twain, or Confucius that said:

Wisdom does not necessarily come with age. Age comes all by itself.

On second thought maybe it was Abraham Lincoln.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Maniscalco was the best pure fielder. But even he missed a routine pop fly.

Remember that Forsythe won us a national title with his glove. He’s got something mental going on now but he was a big part of the mixed drink in 2021.

Brad Freeman used to laugh when he’d airmail throws. He’s not even close. I mean may as well go Jonathan Ogden lulzzz

Jon Shave maybe?

Ryan Gridley was very solid, as was Adam Frazier.
I think that something mental for Lane’s gotta name and it’s David Mershon. Now that he’s healthy, he’s a force to be reckoned w/esp after those solo 2xplays Sat & Sun.

I’m w/ya on Lane, Gridley, & Frazier.

Nov 25, 2019
I remember him well. He was a pretty good pitcher also. My first game ever at DNF I saw him pitch a whopping 12 and a third innings against South Alabama. The man that came along next, Bobby Parker, was solid over there and had a good bat too.
I had forgetten about him pitching some.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I'm old so I don't remember if it was Mark Twain, Shania Twain, or Confucius that said:

Wisdom does not necessarily come with age. Age comes all by itself.

On second thought maybe it was Abraham Lincoln.
When I was young, I was poor.
Now, after years and years of hard work,
I am no longer young.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login