Best state podcast!?

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Anybody been listening to Fitz podcast? I picked it up a week or two ago and it’s now my favorite. I liked Matt’s show a lot but I’m not paying for it. I really enjoy this one now. No offense to the rest that post here. Y’all listening?

Reactions: Dawgg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I need to check it out. Our local sports shows are pretty weak. It amazes me that some of them can maintain a spot on local radio. Basically a long commercial with a few minutes of sports talk. Matt is the only one I like most of the time.

IMPP

Sep 30, 2022
Thunder and lightning
- great up to date info
- really enjoy when they have the opposing team beat writer on
- could do without the wrasseling talk

The boneyard
- best for recruiting etc
- don’t care about top ten list etc..

out of left field
- very easy to listen
- good info

in no particular order. All have positive and negatives

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I like T&L and always listen except for the rumblings. Good info for the most part. I guess I was blathering about the radio shows on 105.9 mostly. And of course Steve is always good

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Anybody been listening to Fitz podcast? I picked it up a week or two ago and it’s now my favorite. I liked Matt’s show a lot but I’m not paying for it. I really enjoy this one now. No offense to the rest that post here. Y’all listening?
I like it. Who exactly is the other guy on with Fitz?
Since you pay for Matt's show is it ad free? I really enjoy Boneyard but wished the advertisements would rotate. If I was doing a mortgage or looking for a house in Starkville, Portico right off campus and Blair top 1% in a magazine rating would be the last places I used just from complete Chernobyl-style burnout.

Sep 15, 2009
Thunder and lightning
- great up to date info
- really enjoy when they have the opposing team beat writer on
- could do without the wrasseling talk

The boneyard
- best for recruiting etc
- don’t care about top ten list etc..

out of left field
- very easy to listen
- good info

in no particular order. All have positive and negatives
Thunder and Lightning is the best. I sometimes listen to the BoneYard but I hate listening to a drive by drive recap of a game I just watched. Especially if we lose.

Reactions: Blitz83
Aug 8, 2022
Really enjoy Out of Left Field, wish it could be more days per week.
T&L is usually very good, this morning i think there was 6 or 7 minutes of ads and BS before any football talk....
Miss "More Cowbell " from Brandon Walker but like Unnecessary Roughness even though its not MSU.
I like Steve Robertson but his podcast can be hard to get into/stay into.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Honestly, pretty much all of them have qualities that I don’t care for, but most of them bring at least something to the table that most of our fans typically like.

T&L was my answer for years but I feel like Brian and Robbie are too similar for my tastes. They tend to double down on the emotional takes and that’s just not my thing. Say what you want about Bob or Joel but I felt like it was a more balanced perspective on things. You kinda got devil on your shoulder/angel on your shoulder vibe (sorry for calling you the devil, Hadad).

Bart and Charlie (Out of Left Field) tend to have the best info if you’re really into stats, but can feel a little preachy sometimes. I have similar complaints with Matt, knows his stuff but definitely can be preachy.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Out of Left Field: The most professional and best flowing conversation but you only get a couple episodes per week.
Thunder & Lightening: Really good daily updates & talking points. Thought it was best with Brian & Joel. The wrestling talk is cringy.
The Has Been & The Never Was Show: Probably the funniest of the bunch. Good to get insight from a former player.
The Boneyard: I've had to quit listening to this one. Too damned long for such little info. It'll go off the rails with ad reads or life advice. Next thing you know it's been 10 minutes without a single mention of MSU sports. Not to mention the middle of the show is just completely dedicated to some Top 10 list of a crappy 80s rock. Just start a separate music podcast for that junk.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Thunder and Lightning is the best. I sometimes listen to the BoneYard but I hate listening to a drive by drive recap of a game I just watched. Especially if we lose.
Boneyard is only a detailed game recap on Mondays during football season but I agree...like it after a win, sucks to hear again after a loss. He also does a Wednesday and Friday and I enjoy the top 10 list when I'm familiar with the bands/music.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Would someone mind doing a quick rundown of who does each one? Like what are their day jobs/background. I've listened to all of these but Out of Left Field and like them all but don't feel like I know who I'm listening to. :confused:
...I know who Steve and Nick are but none of the others.

Zesty Jalepeno

Sep 29, 2022
Really enjoy Out of Left Field, wish it could be more days per week.
T&L is usually very good, this morning i think there was 6 or 7 minutes of ads and BS before any football talk....
Miss "More Cowbell " from Brandon Walker but like Unnecessary Roughness even though its not MSU.
I like Steve Robertson but his podcast can be hard to get into/stay into.
I like Steve, but I prefer podcasts with multiple people rather than someone going solo.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
I listen to pretty much every T&L episode other than the rumblings. You have to FF the first five minutes of it. Worst part about the show is all of the food and wrestling talk. I agree with almost all of Brian’s takes though. It’s kind of dorky have family-friendly the podcast is though, makes you cringe a bit.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
day jobs/background.

Matt Wyatt : Former State QB / Broadcaster
Nicky Fitz : Former State QB
Steve Robertson : Lead Guitar for Motely Crue (AKA Mick Mars) / Writer for 247
Skydawgs : Meteorologists
Brian Hadad : Sports Talk Mississippi
Bob Carskadon : Writer in Tampa?
Brandon Walker : Barstool Personality
Joel T. Coleman : Writer in the Athletic Department
Robbie Faulk : Writer for 247 Sports
Charlie Winfield : Attorney and Leading the Bulldog Initiative / Broadcaster
Bart Gregory : Works in the Athletic Department / Broadcaster

Did I leave any off?

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
I listen to them all. Literally.
Theirs is the best.
I wasn’t asking.. i was telling!

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
Just a heads up, Matt’s show is free. It’s on our HailState+ Podcast Network on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. My show with Logan Lowery (Dear Ol’ State) and a weekly soccer show comes to the same feed as well. Be glad for you to listen to us too if you can bear it, but Matt’s show is there and won’t cost you a penny.

Apple link:

Spotify link (Click the Spotify logo in the top right hand corner to go to the HailState+ Podcast Network page):

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I can’t get into it as much as I want to. I hope they get better but I’m not giving up listening to T&L or the other shows for it. Production needs improvement badly as well.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Just a heads up, Matt’s show is free. It’s on our HailState+ Podcast Network on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. My show with Logan Lowery (Dear Ol’ State) and a weekly soccer show comes to the same feed as well. Be glad for you to listen to us too if you can bear it, but Matt’s show is there and won’t cost you a penny.

Apple link:

Spotify link (Click the Spotify logo in the top right hand corner to go to the HailState+ Podcast Network page):

You’ve got a great podcast.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Did I leave any off?
Yes
Cochise Cowboy : Good list taker and great poster

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Boneyard was my hands-down favorite for a while, but is down the list a bit. I cant listen to Mondays anymore, unless its a big win. How hie can talk for 2 minutes about the opening kickoff going for a touchback, and a Dillon Johnson 2 yd run blows me away.

Out of Left Field is my favorite. But....I listen to all of them and cant get my hands on enough MS State sports talk! I really appreciate what all of them do!

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Sep 18, 2014
I like T&L and always listen except for the rumblings. Good info for the most part. I guess I was blathering about the radio shows on 105.9 mostly. And of course Steve is always good
I always skip the Wednesday T&L show. Perhaps it would be better if people wouldn't ask stupid questions for laughs all the time.

Sep 18, 2014
Boneyard is only a detailed game recap on Mondays during football season but I agree...like it after a win, sucks to hear again after a loss. He also does a Wednesday and Friday and I enjoy the top 10 list when I'm familiar with the bands/music.
I always skip the top 10. I wish he would at least move it to the end of the show so that people who don't care can just stop listening. I also wish he would shorten the ads. 2 minutes on Bulldog Burger Co. is a bit extreme.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I really enjoy T&L but agree Wednesday is tough with the stupid questions. And the opening sound effect literally comes as close as possible to blowing my speakers. It’s so much louder than the rest of the podcast. That’s my only real complaint.
Listened to Has Been and Never Was for the first time this morning. Really enjoyed Fitz take on getting told to go 17 yourself from 100k people. I hate people act like that. It is just football after all

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
The latest one talking about the KY game was entertaining during commute yesterday. Fitz started the show sad, eventually went on a rant about what if you were working in your cubicle and saved a file in the wrong folder and had everyone blasting you about it (comparing blasting/tweeting players individually for an on field mistake), then ended pumping sunshine. :LOL:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I guess my favorite is Bart & Charlie's but I don't listen much to any of them. Because of Amazon Music, Sirius Radio and ad free subscription streaming services on tv I get bent out of shape and want to change the station when an ad runs on free tv or radio so its hard for me to watch or listen to either much anymore. I also don't like useless banter ("witty and animated joking") which seems to take up a lot of time on the co-hosted shows. And don't get me started on "Rasslin", if I wanted to hear that I'd tune into a rasslin podcast

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We are in negotiations with Dale’s for sponsorship. The ad reads are going to be the best part.
If you don't have at least one guest poster on every week, you're doing it wrong.

Ep 1: Shmuley: The Man behind the Yarmulke.
Ep 2: Saddawg, MadDawg, and IMPP: 3 Generations of Dedication to the Female Form

The Goatholder episode will go through all former usernames. 3+ hours but will be epic.

I have Peaches' cell number if someone wants to interview him.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022

Did I leave any off?
Awesome...that helps a lot. Anyone know what Fitz is doing now? If he's said on the podcasts I've listened to I missed it.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Fitz says we’ll win this week and touches on the refs being bammers. Great episode so far!

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I listen to Out of Left Field occasionally. T&L most days and Boneyard about once a week. Fitz podcast I think is, 'The has been and the never was' or something like that. I haven't listened but need to.

There are minor things that are slightly annoying, Like doing the show while eating, Hadad and Faulk bickering, Rosebowl chronic burping. But from a purely content standpoint the most entertaining is T&L with the 'no coffee' and 'things that are true'. I hate the rasslin' talk. Rosebowl often has better inside information but his show can be majorly tedious with the literal 'play-by-play' recap and the top 10 list is an immediate fast forward. Bart and Charlie are pretty good. Kind of hit or miss though.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Honestly, pretty much all of them have qualities that I don’t care for, but most of them bring at least something to the table that most of our fans typically like.

T&L was my answer for years but I feel like Brian and Robbie are too similar for my tastes. They tend to double down on the emotional takes and that’s just not my thing. Say what you want about Bob or Joel but I felt like it was a more balanced perspective on things. You kinda got devil on your shoulder/angel on your shoulder vibe (sorry for calling you the devil, Hadad).

Bart and Charlie (Out of Left Field) tend to have the best info if you’re really into stats, but can feel a little preachy sometimes. I have similar complaints with Matt, knows his stuff but definitely can be preachy.
I enjoy all 3 of those but for those that complain about advertising time on T&L and Boneyard, they don't hold a candle to the advertisements and commercial time on Out of Left Field. I feel like I have to keep my finger on the 30 second forward button because half of what Bart says during the podcast is all about promoting sponsors.

Oct 17, 2022
i used to listen to T&L until it got be all about being controversial/emotional to get attention. Need something more professional, I’ll give Fitz a try.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login