Big 10 just..

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have managed to not learn about this so up to now, but since the guy is suspended for the rest of conference play, I guess it is worth asking...

How much would someone gain from attending games in person vs watching them on TV or any of the other angles available to viewers thru clips on X, YouTube, etc? TV streaming often has multiple camera angles too, like overhead as well as regular.
Can someone that isn't paid just record it and send video to various programs?

Last edited:

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
..suspended Harbaugh for the rest of the year.

Not that big of a deal, he'll more than likely be in the NFL next season. Time to fire up the Lane to Michigan rumors before the Egg Bowl!

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Given some of the concerted media efforts to keep Michigan out of the playoffs and or fire harbaugh this is starting to stink like a hidden agenda.

I’m not a Michigan or harbaugh fan, decide it on the field. they all steal signs.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
They are picking winners and losers with this crap. Like investigating only Iowa for online gambling when every other program has players doing it. How much of this is about television revenue and limiting the playoffs to two bigten teams not three.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have managed to not learn about this so up to now, but since the guy is suspended for the rest of conference play, I guess it is worth asking...

How much would someone gain from attending games in person vs watching them on TV or any of the other angles available to viewers thru clips on X, YouTube, etc? TV streaming often has multiple camera angles too, like overhead as well as regular.
Are you kidding? A tremendous amount. How are you going to steal signs watching on Tv?

Reactions: paindonthurt

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I thought cheating was cheating, especially if you’re the head of one of the most prestIgious institutions of CFB.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I wonder that too… but it’s hard to believe Michigan would have continued to go through the trouble of in person scouting and stealing signs if it was not helping some.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Until this happened I thought it was legal. Doesn't Saban have an analyst for each team they play this year. If he figures out the signs then you aren't doing a good job as a coach.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Until this happened I thought it was legal. Doesn't Saban have an analyst for each team they play this year. If he figures out the signs then you aren't doing a good job as a coach.
Yea, it’s a lot of BS. don’t look at the man behind the curtain, probably some back room deal to get PSU in the playoffs, tv revenue etc... There could easily be 3 bigten teams in the playoffs and they apparently don’t want that. everybody tries to steal signs.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They are picking winners and losers with this crap. Like investigating only Iowa for online gambling when every other program has players doing it. How much of this is about television revenue and limiting the playoffs to two bigten teams not three.
Big 10 has the #3 ranked conference strength right now. There’s not a chance in hell of even 2 teams in the CFP, let alone 3.

And if they were “picking winners,” Michigan would certainly be one of them. As it stands now, they are opening up the possibility of a B1G doomsday scenario where Michigan loses to PSU, but beats Ohio State at home, Bama / UGA win out and Bama takes them down in Atlanta, FSU wins out, and Washington loses to Oregon in the PAC title. You’d have the B1G shut out of the CFP aGAIN and the SEC getting 2 teams in aGAIN.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yea, it’s a lot of BS. don’t look at the man behind the curtain, probably some back room deal to get PSU in the playoffs, tv revenue etc... There could easily be 3 bigten teams in the playoffs and they apparently don’t want that. everybody tries to steal signs.
Everybody tries to steal signs? Really? Everyone hires a staffer to literally dress in another university’s team issued apparrel and sneak onto the future opposing team’s sidelines during games? You do realize that’s what happened, right?

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

If you want professional college football, which “they” do, then give em the same g d tools as the nfl. Put a speaker in the QBs helmet. Problem solved.

I mean. Go on and finish the job before she puts her drawers back on.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Big 10 has the #3 ranked conference strength right now. There’s not a chance in hell of even 2 teams in the CFP, let alone 3.

And if they were “picking winners,” Michigan would certainly be one of them. As it stands now, they are opening up the possibility of a B1G doomsday scenario where Michigan loses to PSU, but beats Ohio State at home, Bama / UGA win out and Bama takes them down in Atlanta, FSU wins out, and Washington loses to Oregon in the PAC title. You’d have the B1G shut out of the CFP aGAIN and the SEC getting 2 teams in aGAIN.
Not a chance in hell of Ohio state and Michigan being in the playoffs ? Ok, they are currently #1 and #3

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Not a chance in hell of Ohio state and Michigan being in the playoffs ? Ok
Both of them? Absolutely not….unless pure chaos ensues and there are only 4 or fewer teams with no losses or 1 loss. One’s likely to be undefeated and the other won’t even play in the championship game of the 3rd best conference.

An undefeated B1G champ is guaranteed a slot.

A 1-loss B1G non-champ is going to come in behind an undefeated or maybe even 1-loss FSU, a 1-loss Bama, an undefeated or 1-loss UGA, an undefeated or 1-loss Washington, a 1-loss Oregon, and a 1-loss Texas.

A 1-loss B1G champ is going to come in behind 2 1-loss SEC teams, an undefeated or 1-loss PAC champ, or an undefeated FSU.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
So Ohio state, Rutgers and Purdue sharing Michigan’s offensive signals is different how ?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I was reading an SI Article on this, and it turns out Harbaugh's attorney is our old friend Tom Mars.

Last I heard, after the whole Hugh Freeze thing and helping UMiss players get transfer waivers, the NCAA hired him to work with their compliance commission. Guess representing coaches pays better.

Oh, he also cut and pasted part of his letter to the NCAA from a Michigan sports message board. I knew this gig could lead to fame and fortune!

SI Article on Tom Mars plagiarism

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

If you want professional college football, which “they” do, then give em the same g d tools as the nfl. Put a speaker in the QBs helmet. Problem solved.

I mean. Go on and finish the job before she puts her drawers back on.

I agree... currently we've got one nerd typing on an enigma machine and handing it off to 3 grad assistants who jump around like idjits twirling signs on the sidewalk in front of a pawn store.

Just do what the NFL does and be done with it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Are you kidding? A tremendous amount. How are you going to steal signs watching on Tv?
I mentioned multiple camera angles that are now available, clips on X, YouTube, etc.
And I also asked if someone can just record the game from the stands then send it to a bunch of programs.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Everybody tries to steal signs?
Yes, any advantages a team can gain may result in a win.

yes
Everyone hires a staffer to literally dress in another university’s team issued apparrel and sneak onto the future opposing team’s sidelines during games?
This isn't James Bond stuff and they don't have to be on the sidelines. Are Alabama staffers banned from attending State games? How would ticket takers even know? Auburn games? I've seen a lot of Alabama tee shirts at our games. Other teams too.
You do realize that’s what happened, right?
So they have to be on the sidelines? Otherwise, it is OK? A set of binoculars and a cell phone is all that's necessary to steal signs.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This isn't James Bond stuff and they don't have to be on the sidelines. Are Alabama staffers banned from attending State games? How would ticket takers even know? Auburn games? I've seen a lot of Alabama tee shirts at our games. Other teams too.

So they have to be on the sidelines? Otherwise, it is OK? A set of binoculars and a cell phone is all that's necessary to steal signs.
First off, the UM guy was on the sidelines. Literally snuck down there in CMU apparel when they were playing Michigan State. That’s above and beyond “just attending games.” You’re obviously going to be able to get a much better view of the signs from there. He could have likely walked around to the MSU sideline if he wanted (and maybe did).

Secondly, its pretty cut and dry that in-person scouting of future opponents is expressly illegal in the NCAA rulebook. Been that way since 1994.

And there’s a ton of evidence that Michigan has pushed the envelope much farther than anyone else in that regard, based on actual results on the field. They were world-beaters all during the regular season last year, then sh*t the bed against a vastly inferior opponent in the CFP who they very likely didn’t have on their future opponent bingo card. They’ve been 8-4 or better every year of the Harbaugh era, except for a putrid 2-4 record in 2020, when, guess what, nobody was allowed to attend games. Hmmm….

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
First off, the UM guy was on the sidelines. Literally snuck down there in CMU apparel when they were playing Michigan State. That’s above and beyond “just attending games.” You’re obviously going to be able to get a much better view of the signs from there. He could have likely walked around to the MSU sideline if he wanted (and maybe did).

Secondly, its pretty cut and dry that in-person scouting of future opponents is expressly illegal in the NCAA rulebook. Been that way since 1994.

And there’s a ton of evidence that Michigan has pushed the envelope much farther than anyone else in that regard, based on actual results on the field. They were world-beaters all during the regular season last year, then sh*t the bed against a vastly inferior opponent in the CFP who they very likely didn’t have on their future opponent bingo card. They’ve been 8-4 or better every year of the Harbaugh era, except for a putrid 2-4 record in 2020, when, guess what, nobody was allowed to attend games. Hmmm….
My response was to your response about "everybody tries to steal signs". You don't have to be on the sidelines to do it. I wasn't talking about the UM situation but I guarantee they aren't the only ones in college football doing it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My response was to your response about "everybody tries to steal signs". You don't have to be on the sidelines to do it. I wasn't talking about the UM situation but I guarantee they aren't the only ones in college football doing it.
That’s fine, but you sound like a Houston Astros fan in 2020 with your “But everybody does it!!11!!” reply to a University of Michigan employee literally wearing a disguise, getting either a fake / forged media pass, fake / forged recruiting / equipment manager pass or badge, paying off a security guard, or just outright breaking and entering his way to the sideline of a football game where he had no legitimate authorized access.

What Michigan is doing isn’t normal gamesmanship….not even close. A runner on 2nd base looking at the catcher’s signals isn’t even remotely the same thing as setting up a high resolution camera in center field sending 4K signal to a monitor used by the team to tell hitters through an earpiece what pitch is coming. Likewise, just buying a ticket and bringing in some binoculars isn’t remotely the same thing as forcing your way onto the sideline and using video recording devices to get a team’s signals. This is like the 4th or 5th major scandal of Harbaugh’s short tenure at Michigan, and his second time to be suspended for 3 games just this season. Nobody’s coming to this clown’s defense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login