Big 12 close to adding

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah, per CBS Sports. Interesting.

I remember one or two posters on this site adamantly claiming that conference realignment was about to “calm down.”

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Had that been confirmed? Didn’t seem like many people with a reputation were pushing that story.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah, per CBS Sports. Interesting.

I remember one or two posters on this site adamantly claiming that conference realignment was about to “calm down.”

I had wondered about that but asked myself why? Too many time zones IMO that can give someone advantage every other year.

I really can't wait to see them try to adapt to the heat on the plains east of the Rockies.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you'll read my earlier post, I specifically said we may see some Big 12 / PAC 12 raiding/merger.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Dennis Dodd posted a story about 45 minutes ago. Interesting that there’s no mention of Stanford or Cal. I wonder what will become of them, Oregon State, and Washington State.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Wasn’t aimed at you Patdog. Specifically one or two guys that were being condescending with regard to further expansion. The truth is, this is a war between ESPN and FOX, and none of us know **** about what the final endgame will be.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
They're all waiting for that Big Ten invitation.

You almost need them if you're the Big Ten, just to give USC and UCLA a break on traveling logistics. However, I'm not sure the Big Ten intended to be a 20 team super conference when this all started. Sixteen teams is workable under the current structure of college football scheduling. I'm not sure exactly how a 20 plus team conference works with a 12 game schedule. I wonder if the Big Ten has gamed all this out in the past year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The truth is, this is a war between ESPN and FOX, and none of us know **** about what the final endgame will be.
I think you could include all of the so-called national experts in this statement too. We can make guesses (some educated, some not), but that's about all. Take EVERYTHING you read or hear about realignment with a grain of salt until it's officially announced.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If all those teams really leave, the PAC is basically done. Outside of Stanford and maybe Cal, I’m not sure what is left is appealing enough to build a power conference around.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I said it. You misread it. It was meant in relation to the B2G and SEC there, squirt.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Pac 12 and/or the Big 12 need to make a move, just like the Big 12 did last year. It's totally reactionary.

To reiterate, I didn't figure the B2G was about to take Oregon and Washington (or whoever, Notre Dame, North Carolina, etc.). If they wanted them, they'd have already done it.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
It's Big Ten or independent for Cal and Stanford.

If all those teams really leave, the PAC is basically done. Outside of Stanford and maybe Cal, I’m not sure what is left is appealing enough to build a power conference around.

No way they want to share a conference with San Diego State and San Jose State.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Or maybe those 2 are holding out for a Big 10 invite, but if/when that doesn't come, they may be added to the Big 12 later. You have to think they'd be worth adding to get the Big 12 into the California market.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

Larry Scott drove that bus straight off the mountain

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
What big/pac majors should do is leave and form new conference so they can drop ucf kstate, tt, etc

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Notre Dame isn’t going anywhere. They have their little deal with the ACC and rake in the NBC money. They aren’t joining the B1G.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only way Notre Dame is going to a conference is if the Big 10 & SEC lock down the new playoff structure after 2026 to not give them relatively easy access. Of course, there's no way the SEC would sign off on a plan that doesn't give Notre Dame access, so it's not gonna happen.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
there's no way the SEC would sign off on a plan that doesn't give Notre Dame access, so it's not gonna happen.

If Notre Dame remains independent, then why would the SEC care whether Notre Dame has access to any new playoff structure?

Stated differently, if Notre Dame is not a member of the SEC, then why would the SEC want Notre Dame to have access to the new playoff structure?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Wierd to watch these bastions of academia care so much about sports.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Because Sankey wanted a 12-team playoff with six conference champions and six at-large spots.

The SEC would have 2-3 spots. Notre Dame would likely earn one with a 9-3 or 10-2 record.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Ensuring they have a path to the playoff as an independent keeps them from joining Big10/Team Fox, unless the SEC can get them to join the SEC/Team ESPN. For the SEC, adding ND is about the only brand you can add for value to the media deal.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Every SEC team makes more than ND does with their NBC deal

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Because Sankey wanted a 12-team playoff with six conference champions and six at-large spots.

The SEC would have 2-3 spots. Notre Dame would likely earn one with a 9-3 or 10-2 record.

I think something like this will happen in a different form when this all plays out. The Disney/ESPN and the Fox conferences could have 4 five team divisions. Division winners proceed into the playoffs which means 8 teams in 4 games. Next weekend the 4 teams in two games play. The next week is 2 teams in one game each conference for conference championship. The Disney/ESPN champ plays the Fox Champ for the college football championship. Remember, this has to get done before the NFL playoffs. Under this format Notre Dame will be ineligible to participate because they are not in the Disney/ESPN or Fox conferences?

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Every SEC team makes more than ND does with their NBC deal

But their deal runs out in 2025. They’ll be able to negotiate a much better deal for themselves in the next few years, likely even kick off an “Irish Network” or something similar with ESPN, Fox, etc.

The current NBC deal is similar to the SEC’s current deal with CBS….completely one-sided in favor of the network with the network also refusing any sort of renegotiation / extension. The extent of that is going to force NBC out of consideration for their next TV deal, in all likelihood.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login