Big 12 Expansion

patdog

May 28, 2007
And San Diego St has informed the MWC they’re not leaving after all. At least not next year. Still don’t think either them or SMU adds enough to the PAC-10 to cover their split of the revenue.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
And San Diego St has informed the MWC they’re not leaving after all. At least not next year. Still don’t think either them or SMU adds enough to the PAC-10 to cover their split of the revenue.
You think Memphis will ever get an invite to major/semimajor conference ?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
A big Memphis booster told me they were disappointed with not getting a B12 invite. That was with a 4-team playoff. Now that there will be 12 teams in the playoff, he told me they are better off just staying in the AAC where they regularly finish in the top 4. So, it was being a middle team in the B12 vs a possible top team in the AAC. I think their long range feelings are that the AAC Champion will eventually get an auto bid. Until that happens, they think if they can win the AAC title, then they will likely get an at-large bid. So, with the 12 team playoffs, they feel staying put is better. They could be right. Hard to tell at the moment.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
A big Memphis booster told me they were disappointed with not getting a B12 invite. That was with a 4-team playoff. Now that there will be 12 teams in the playoff, he told me they are better off just staying in the AAC where they regularly finish in the top 4. So, it was being a middle team in the B12 vs a possible top team in the AAC. I think their long range feelings are that the AAC Champion will eventually get an auto bid. Until that happens, they think if they can win the AAC title, then they will likely get an at-large bid. So, with the 12 team playoffs, they feel staying put is better. They could be right. Hard to tell at the moment.
From a $ standpoint…what would’ve been Memphis’s annual take this yr in Big 12 compared to AAC? I’m too lazy today to look it up.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Getting to the playoff isn’t the admin’s number one concern. Money trumps over time.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

patdog

May 28, 2007
From a $ standpoint…what would’ve been Memphis’s annual take this yr in Big 12 compared to AAC? I’m too lazy today to look it up.
Roughly $7M vs $27M. Memphis would take that money in a heartbeat if they got the chance. Regardless of playoff chances.

Last edited:

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Roughly $7M vs $27M. Memphis would take that money in a heartbeat if they got the chance. Regardless of playoff chances.
The booster said they would have gone to the B12......but it doesn't matter. They weren't offered. Now, who knows what the B12 will do in the coming years. They may add more teams later and Memphis could very well be on that list. Memphis is competitive in football with all of the teams in the 2024 B12. Their basketball is pretty much top 25 nationally every year. Baseball is their only drag. I think there is still a lot of conference reshuffling to happen in the near future.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Memphis will get in the Big12 when OkSt, TCU, Baylor and Tech leave. Hahahaha.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Their basketball is pretty much top 25 nationally every year.
Last year they were ranked No. 24 in final the AP. It was the only week they were ranked all season and it was the first time they finished ranked in the final poll since 2012-13.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Memphis brings nothing.

But they'd leave in a heartbeat. The money is too big not to, for any of these schools. Unless you're the Pac-12 and don't have a stable deal.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Memphis brings nothing.

But they'd leave in a heartbeat. The money is too big not to, for any of these schools. Unless you're the Pac-12 and don't have a stable deal.
It sounds harsh, but that’s really what it comes down to. If Memphis couldn't make the cut when they added UCF, Cincy, Houston & BYU, they’re not even going to be considered when the next targets include Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and possibly UConn, Gonzaga and maybe even Oregon & Washington if the Big 10 continue to pass in them.

personally, I hope the PAC-10 gets a good enough media deal to survive intact. This rampant chase the money conference realignment is bad for college sports.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Memphis will get in the Big12 when OkSt, TCU, Baylor and Tech leave. Hahahaha.
I would think KState is near the top in football now that they have Chris Klieman is at the helm. And their basketball ain't bad either. Baseball, not sure how they are doing, but going against OK, OKState, TCU, TTech, & Texas can't be easy.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What do they believe they bring to the table? They have a terrible off campus stadium that's not theirs, a 20 year old off campus shared basketball arena also not theirs, that's in a fast declining city with no history in any sport other than a few seasons of basketball success decades ago.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Definitely not from the SEC cuz we've got that State Locked Down on Multiple Fronts. Seems outta the 4 chosen the B12 woulda gone with Memphis for one of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login