Big 12 is about to rename itself

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Will go for a multi-year naming rights deal where they keep the '12', but auction off the "Big". For example, next season, Oklahoma State and Utah could be battling for supremacy of the "Dr. Pepper 12", which I think is a little weird since they'll have 16 members.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Will go for a multi-year naming rights deal where they keep the '12', but auction off the "Big". For example, next season, Oklahoma State and Utah could be battling for supremacy of the "Dr. Pepper 12", which I think is a little weird since they'll have 16 members.

Can't wait to see what Fansville does with this.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I love the short-sightedness of naming your conference after the number of members.

"So we're all good with the Big 8?"

"What if the number of members changes?"

"Don't talk ridiculous."

[adds four teams]

"Ok. That was my bad. We have to change the name. I've learned my lesson."

"What's the new name?"

"Big 12"

"Don't talk ridiculous."

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Smart move.

Pro Leagues do this so now that paying student athletes is officially official, collegiate conferences can too.

So what are the likely candidates to be the SEC’s naming sponsor?

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Smart move.

Pro Leagues do this so now that paying student athletes is officially official, collegiate conferences can too.

So what are the likely candidates to be the SEC’s naming sponsor?
I don't know about the SEC, but sooner or later, Florida State is going to push its conference to become the Chick-Fil-ACC to keep them out of court.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I love the short-sightedness of naming your conference after the number of members.

"So we're all good with the Big 8?"

"Don't talk ridiculous."

[adds four teams]

"Ok. That was my bad. We have to change the name. I've learned my lesson."

"What's the new name?"

"Big 12"

"Don't talk ridiculous."
Yeah, that's what I don't understand about it. Why keep the '12'? By 2026, that conference will have spent more time having more or less than 12 teams than it did having 12 teams.

If you're going to go for this, go ahead and do the whole thing. Either call yourself the "AT&T 16" or drop the number of teams altogether and just become the "AT&T Conference".

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
According to Brett McMurphy, the leader for the Big 12 is Allstate. Also, Conference USA is getting in on the action and will rename itself to the Globe Life Conference. Baseketball is coming true.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login