Big 12 Rumors

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Since rumors are encouraged, Florida State and Clemson to Big 12. Don't know how legit.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No way the SEC and Big 10 let that happen. Not to mention that pesky Grant of Rights agreement. The same kind of agreement that kept Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 2 years longer than all the talking heads thought they would.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Looks like FSU not doing themselves any favors by trying to play hardball with the ACC. That said, the key quote in that article is
One source, however, cautioned “never say never” about FSU going to the Big Ten because there could be a path if the ACC disintegrates.

“There is no appetite among the presidents unless there is some catastrophic development with the ACC and it forces [the Big Ten] into a decision,” the source said.

If FSU can find a way out of the GOR agreement, that would be the catastrophic event that would set off the chain reaction.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If FSU has been a disruptive partner, what the 17 has Texas been?

Sarcastic Mohawk Girls GIF by CBC

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Since rumors are encouraged, Florida State and Clemson to Big 12. Don't know how legit.
That would make the comments on Finebaum (I think) yesterday saying UNC was the prize for the SEC make more sense. I was wondering why anyone would say that, unless the instate schools are somehow successfully blocking Clemson and FSU.

We got 17'ed on that instate deal a long time ago and I'm sure the others have learned from our mistake.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No way the SEC and Big 10 let that happen. Not to mention that pesky Grant of Rights agreement. The same kind of agreement that kept Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 2 years longer than all the talking heads thought they would.
The Big 12 has been floating the idea of selling a piece of itself to a private equity firm for a few weeks now, just like the idea they could be the "Mutual of Omaha 12" or whatever. The theory is that some of the money from that sale could be used to float Clemson and Florida a lifeline that pays for some or all of their grant of rights termination/exit fee and, in return, they join the Big 12 for the duration of the current Big 12 media deal, which runs until 2031 (five years shorter than the ACC).

It gives the Big 12 a couple of much-needed brand names and gives Florida State and Clemson a way out of the ACC (and potentially in a better position to make themselves available to the Big Ten or SEC) 5-6 years earlier than, for example, North Carolina or Miami.

I used to think it was pretty far-fetched, but if the Big 12 really is securing some outside funding, it actually doesn't sound like a bad deal to everybody involved.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The Big 12 has been floating the idea of selling a piece of itself to a private equity firm for a few weeks now, just like the idea they could be the "Mutual of Omaha 12" or whatever. The theory is that some of the money from that sale could be used to float Clemson and Florida a lifeline that pays for some or all of their grant of rights termination/exit fee and, in return, they join the Big 12 for the duration of the current Big 12 media deal, which runs until 2031 (five years shorter than the ACC).

It gives the Big 12 a couple of much-needed brand names and gives Florida State and Clemson a way out of the ACC (and potentially in a better position to make themselves available to the Big Ten or SEC) 5-6 years earlier than, for example, North Carolina or Miami.

I used to think it was pretty far-fetched, but if the Big 12 really is securing some outside funding, it actually doesn't sound like a bad deal to everybody involved.
Other than the fact that Private Equity is usually terrible for whatever Private Equity is investing in.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Isn't the ACC revenue situation better than the Big 12?
They're comparable and both in the $40-$45 million per school range, but the ACC is eating itself from the inside with members that are actively trying to leave and/or kill the conference. Meanwhile, the Big 12 is stable, in a position to grow, and willing to think outside the box to expand revenue. The Big 12 media rights deal also ends 5 years before the ACC's, so they'll be in a better position to negotiate.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They're comparable and both in the $40-$45 million per school range, but the ACC is eating itself from the inside with members that are actively trying to leave and/or kill the conference. Meanwhile, the Big 12 is stable, in a position to grow, and willing to think outside the box to expand revenue. The Big 12 media rights deal also ends 5 years before the ACC's, so they'll be in a better position to negotiate.
The question is, why is it eating itself from the inside? If the revenue is the same, the conference profile of the ACC is better on paper, what are they doing? Leaving for the Big 12 makes no sense.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The question is, why is it eating itself from the inside? If the revenue is the same, the conference profile of the ACC is better on paper, what are they doing? Leaving for the Big 12 makes no sense.
It's the length of the media rights. They have no opportunity to make more than they do now for another 12 years. If they can into the Big 12, they can shorten that timeline by 5-6 years either with a renewed Big 12 media rights contract (the Big 12 will have at least 1 more renewal before the ACC) or they fulfill their dream of making it to the SEC or Big Ten.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's the length of the media rights. They have no opportunity to make more than they do now for another 12 years. If they can into the Big 12, they can shorten that timeline by 5-6 years either with a renewed Big 12 media rights contract (the Big 12 will have at least 1 more renewal before the ACC) or they fulfill their dream of making it to the SEC or Big Ten.
I still think the SEC should take FSU and Clemson whenever it’s feasible to do it (ie the next major round of realignment and it’s cheaper to leave ACC). It’s easy for the SEC to act high and mighty now that things are calm. And don’t get me started on them being a trouble maker while we went and got Texas.

It’d be a good long term play. Strong football programs, big fanbases and good regional rivalries.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I still think the SEC should take FSU and Clemson whenever it’s feasible to do it (ie the next major round of realignment and it’s cheaper to leave ACC). It’s easy for the SEC to act high and mighty now that things are calm. And don’t get me started on them being a trouble maker while we went and got Texas.

It’d be a good long term play. Strong football programs, big fanbases and good regional rivalries.
I agree on Florida State and probably Clemson. This move to the Big 12 would theoretically expedite their ability to make that move.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody’s going to say “yeah, we’re definitely interested in adding a school that’s currently locked down for 10 years and is in the midst of a lawsuit against its own league”.

A lot will change for them over the coming years.
Exactly. SEC and Big 10 are perfectly content to wait 5 years before they fight over the top ACC schools. But if FSU can somehow get out of the GOR, it’s on. You’ll see 4-8 ACC schools to those 2 conferences. Big 12 can take the scraps.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login