Big OT: But who was building the 1st Gen Mustang on here?

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Welding new panels together? I got a few q’s.

For sports link.. atta boy Laquinston Sharp! Two in a row.[FONT=Stix Two Text, serif] [/FONT]

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
I’m building a ‘67 Fastback with 90% new parts.

i think you the man I’m looking for.

I just acquired a Chevelle in rough shape through family. It’s a post sedan and I want a coupe. Since it’s so rough, it makes sense to just build it with NOS and repo parts.

How did you square up the body? Did you build a jig for it? Spot weld and just square it as you went? How did you go about it?

Mig weld? Tig?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
I spent many hours searching the internet for accurate dimensions to at least be able to accurately locate the front and rear frame rails. I felt like I could manage from there. There was a dimensioned drawing in the Ford shop manual, but it had some incorrect dimensions on it. I was eventually confident enough to make a jig from 2" square tube. I did a LOT of measuring and leveling with a surveyor's auto level, and I learned not to do anything more than tack weld as I went because each piece required small adjustments. In the end, all the structural pieces came together really nicely.

I started off trying to use a Harbor Freight spot welder where I could, but that thing is very heavy. I also wasn't confident that it was working properly. So, I mostly made plug welds with a mig. There are tables that show the proper spacing for spot/plug welds, based on steel thickness.

Last edited:

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Ok. I see now how you went about it. I have an advantage in that the Chevelle is a body on frame car and not a unibody. So the measurements are already there by default.

So you just clamped the top and quarters, tacked, and grinded and moved as necessary? Welded fully when entire car was lined up?

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah. Having a frame is a big head start. Make sure it’s square and true when you start. Having another body to measure from will help big time, too.

Basically. There are a lot of structural pieces you don’t really notice until you get into the weeds. You can’t have too many clamps at that point, including some deep throat clamping pliers.

I like to listen to MS State sports while I am working on my car.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Does that mustang have the 289 or 302?

My dad gave me his 67 Bronco and has a 289 in it put it still purrs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login