Biggest problem for college baseball isn’t politics….

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
….it’s that there is so much concentration of power in the SEC. And a little in the ACC. It’s going to be hard to grow interest if it remains regional, and honestly it seems more regional than ever before.

Football too, for that matter. These super conferences aren’t good for anybody. At least the B1G made it national I guess.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's kinda weird that the Big 10 is so disinterested in being a good baseball conference. There's obviously a lot of talent in the Midwest, and a lot of money/NIL potential. I would think their ego couldn't handle seeing the SEC get 9, 10, 11 (about to be even more) teams into regionals every year, many of whom advance, while the Big 10 gets just a couple of also-rans.

It would be really good for the sport if the Big 10 decided to care and at least be on the level of the ACC/Big 12 and regularly competing for trips to Omaha and national titles.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
….it’s that there is so much concentration of power in the SEC. And a little in the ACC. It’s going to be hard to grow interest if it remains regional, and honestly it seems more regional than ever before.

Football too, for that matter. These super conferences aren’t good for anybody. At least the B1G made it national I guess.
Yeah there’s absolutely no buzz nationally for college baseball. It catches a little interest once Omaha arrives, but popularity is not growing.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's kinda weird that the Big 10 is so disinterested in being a good baseball conference. There's obviously a lot of talent in the Midwest, and a lot of money/NIL potential. I would think their ego couldn't handle seeing the SEC get 9, 10, 11 (about to be even more) teams into regionals every year, many of whom advance, while the Big 10 gets just a couple of also-rans.

It would be really good for the sport if the Big 10 decided to care and at least be on the level of the ACC/Big 12 and regularly competing for trips to Omaha and national titles.
It's kind of hard to get interested in baseball when it's below freezing.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
100%. I lived in Ann Arbor for a year back in '05, and we got 10 inches of snow in mid-May. Northern climates just don't mesh with college baseball's desire to start the season in late February

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Exactly. I have friends that are grads from Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan St, Nebraska and Ohio St and they all say the same thing. The weather is not their friend for baseball.
Ok that’s the excuse for northern schools. What about schools like Miami, Arizona State, Stanford that average 1-2k fans a game?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
College sports in general are and have been headed downhill and instead of applying the brakes, they are hitting the gas even harder.
This isn’t true with college football & basketball. You personally may not like where it’s headed, but nearly every SEC, Big Ten, ACC, and Big 12 football stadium this fall will be full.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Ok that’s the excuse for northern schools. What about schools like Miami, Arizona State, Stanford that average 1-2k fans a game?
I think the deal is there's tons of stuff to do in those areas, in the spring, there are few options for other things to do in Starkville, Oxford, BR or Fayetteville.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
That excuse doesn't prevent them from caring about lacrosse, field hockey, football, etc.

And it's not like those schools are never good. Most years, there's a host up there. Michigan was the runner-up in Omaha a few years ago. So it's very possible to have a good baseball program at any Big 10 school, but they don't care about sustained conference-wide excellence like the SEC does.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Those schools don’t really care about anything bc of location.

I think the deal is there's tons of stuff to do in those areas, in the spring, there are few options for other things to do in Starkville, Oxford, BR or Fayetteville.
Interesting. So what you’re saying is since Mississippi State ‘cares’ more about a niche sport than other D1 schools, we are more successful.

I wish we cared more about football.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Interesting. So what you’re saying is since Mississippi State ‘cares’ more about a niche sport than other D1 schools, we are more successful.

I wish we cared more about football.
im talking about the fans.l bc you pointed to attendance. But as to your point we can care all we want in FB but our opponents with bigger programs, more money and more history will always care as much as we do so that only goes so far. Our success in FB is tied to 1 thing. Hiring a good coach.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
No one outside the SEC gives a **** about college baseball. It doesn't make money. It doesn't drive ratings. So, nothing to lose screwing over SEC schools. You know that's true because when the vote came up to add more coaches all but two conference voted no. I would imagine Auburn has the one AD who really cares about College Baseball.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
im talking about the fans.l bc you pointed to attendance. But as to your point we can care all we want in FB but our opponents with bigger programs, more money and more history will always care as much as we do so that only goes so far. Our success in FB is tied to 1 thing. Hiring a good coach.
Agreed. Cohen completely overthinking the hire in 2020, moving away from Sarkisian to hire Leach will go down as one of the biggest what ifs in MSU history. For about 12 hours I remember Paul Jones saying Sark was the guy and I was super excited.

Reactions: patdog and 8dog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Agreed. Cohen completely overthinking the hire in 2020, moving away from Sarkisian to hire Leach will go down as one of the biggest what ifs in MSU history. For about 12 hours I remember Paul Jones saying Sark was the guy and I was super excited.
Hopefully Selmon fixed it. It will either be a Jenious move or first major fail as an AD. I am worried about our HC decision for DC. You have to play good defense in the SEC. That's a must.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The Southwest (Arizona and SoCal) where baseball used to be king are the biggest disappointments. Maybe college baseball needs to tap were MLB is going like the Caribbean, South America, Korea and Japan. Especially if they are going to get scholarships up.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This isn’t true with college football & basketball. You personally may not like where it’s headed, but nearly every SEC, Big Ten, ACC, and Big 12 football stadium this fall will be full.
Football is strange because less kids seem to be playing (similar to baseball) and the concentration of power exists there too. But it’s the bear in the room, and the real American past time now. Plus, they’ve pushed flag football, which is growing, and producing fans.

But soccer and basketball are the true national sports that are played everywhere.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The start of College Baseball should be pushed back a month. The conference schedule should begin the week after the final four. Even in the 'Sip February games can be/are miserable. Play the CWS in late July and month later CFB is starting.
I haven’t seen many reasons not to do this, but except that it messes up summer ball, and gives the southern schools less of an advantage. But we need to look at the overall health of the game. I mean the MLB season goes through late October and college ends in June?? That’s a glaring difference.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The college football structure sucks but it’s as popular as ever.
The 12-team playoff will really help reverse all this disgust people have. More fanbases will have hope, and later into the season.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Southwest (Arizona and SoCal) where baseball used to be king are the biggest disappointments. Maybe college baseball needs to tap were MLB is going like the Caribbean, South America, Korea and Japan. Especially if they are going to get scholarships up.
Agreed. The only thing I can think of in Cali is that the middle class, who plays all the baseball, has moved out. But that should not be the excuse for AZ.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The 12-team playoff will really help reverse all this disgust people have. More fanbases will have hope, and later into the season.
Agree. But most people also vastly underestimate how many fans just show up to games. They don’t keep up with all of this like we all do. They just want to see kids run out of the tunnel in maroon and white.

patdog

May 28, 2007

It’s hard when the season starts in February and it’s 28 degrees outside and snowing.
Agree. There’s no reason there shouldn’t be a dozen top 40 teams in that region every year. This year there are 3 in the top 60.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The SEC shouldn’t worry about other conferences. The other conferences should worry about catching up.

They used to ask the UConn women’s coach if he was worried about his program being too dominant and it being a bad thing for women’s basketball. He said his job is to win games, not worry about others falling behind.

I’m ok with the SEC dominating as long as it takes the rest of the country to catch up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The SEC shouldn’t worry about other conferences. The other conferences should worry about catching up.

They used to ask the UConn women’s coach if he was worried about his program being too dominant and it being a bad thing for women’s basketball. He said his job is to win games, not worry about others falling behind.

I’m ok with the SEC dominating as long as it takes the rest of the country to catch up.
If the sport keeps growing, I’m fine too. I’m curious if it actually will though.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

I don’t see college baseball growing for a few reasons.

1. The best players elect to skip college baseball. There’s not much NCAA can do about this. It’s a disadvantage baseball has compared to football and basketball.

2. MLB ratings have been in decline for 30 years now. Less than 10 million watched the World Series last year, the lowest total ever. There’s a baseball problem, it’s having a difficult time attracting the younger generation across the board.

3. Unless college baseball begins to generate revenue, it will not be a top priority at D1 institutions. Therefore, resources will not be utilized to grow it at a national level.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Baseball is not well received because it ends in Omaha. That's an insurance town next to a truck stop.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

1. The best players elect to skip college baseball. There’s not much NCAA can do about this. It’s a disadvantage baseball has compared to football and basketball.

2. MLB ratings have been in decline for 30 years now. Less than 10 million watched the World Series last year, the lowest total ever. There’s a baseball problem, it’s having a difficult time attracting the younger generation across the board.

3. Unless college baseball begins to generate revenue, it will not be a top priority at D1 institutions. Therefore, resources will not be utilized to grow it at a national level.
You aren’t totally wrong, though I don’t see the immediate doomsday scenario. While we can, I say let’s be winners as long as we possibly can, since we’re still getting SEC money from football, no matter how well we do. And the big breakaway won’t happen in our lifetimes.

So, while we’ve disagreed, I do respect and understand your opinion. Even though I still disagree about the Banner M.

Just curious….how old are you @retire the banner ?

patdog

May 28, 2007

1. With NIL and the elimination of scholarship limits (part of the NCAA settlement is no more scholarship limits), this will be less of an issue. It already is to some extent as players realize it's a lot easier life to spend 3 years in college playing in front of big crowds in nice stadiums with less travel than spending 3 years in rookie league and Class A.

2. This is a problem that's not going away. Our ADD culture isn't going to sit through a 3-hour baseball game. We're seeing this in music too. Average song length is well under 4 minutes now. Bands don't have time to develop a complex song any more. They have to get the hook and the riff in as quick as they can and race to the end before people click to the next song on their play list.

3. College baseball will never generate much revenue. We're one of the very rare schools that turns a profit, and there's even debate about whether we turn a profit or not.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
1. With NIL and the elimination of scholarship limits (part of the NCAA settlement is no more scholarship limits), this will be less of an issue. It already is to some extent as players realize it's a lot easier life to spend 3 years in college playing in front of big crowds in nice stadiums with less travel than spending 3 years in rookie league and Class A.

2. This is a problem that's not going away. Our ADD culture isn't going to sit through a 3-hour baseball game. We're seeing this in music too. Average song length is well under 4 minutes now. Bands don't have time to develop a complex song any more. They have to get the hook and the riff in as quick as they can and race to the end before people click to the next song on their play list.

3. College baseball will never generate much revenue. We're one of the very rare schools that turns a profit, and there's even debate about whether we turn a profit or not.
Even before NIL, people were starting to figure out that playing college baseball was a better path to the MLB. NIL makes it a no-brainer unless you are offered the big contract.

I think the biggest threat is outside of the sport: the unknown impact of revenue sharing on athletic departments. Add to that unlimited scholarships and you could see a lot of programs get shut down.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Those are all in pro sports dominated markets. They don't draw that well for college football either.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

We rarely turn a profit in baseball.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They don’t have big crowds for football (unless they’re really good) and you want them to be that way for baseball? Miami has a pretty nice stadium if I remember right. A-Rod gave them a bunch of money.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I shouldn't be surprised at how cheap Mississippi State athletic dept is, but I was. Shameful for us to only be 18th on this list.
You realize a lot of those numbers are the schools building and updating their facilities right? We've already done that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login