Bill Russell passes

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I met Mr. Russell in 1971 at Millsaps College. I asked about race relations in the NBA. He said it was better now than the 1950’s. He said they had a rule back then for the Celtics. They only started three Black players at home, but the coach could start 4 on the road, but you could have 5 on the floor if you were behind, anytime.
He was an NCAA champion, 11 time NBA champion, and a boat load of MVP’s. He was the first Black coach in the NBA and more than that a gentleman’s Gentleman. Rest In Peace.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I met him at State. He spoke there about that same time. Myself and a friend were walking through the union and he was sitting kinda in a corner going over his notes. We went over met him and sat and talked a few minutes. He was laughing and joking and just came across as a nice guy.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Met him at the memphis airport about 20 years ago. We were next to each other in the TSA line. He was wearing a khaki ballcap with small clover on it. I didn't say anything but "Mr Russell, I'm a big fan". He said thanks and nodded. He was doing his best to keep a low profile. I don't think anyone else recognized him.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
As a lifelong Celtics fan this one stings. I grew up in the 80’s so his playing days long predated me, but he was always there. I don’t know why, but it felt like he always would be. 88 is a hell of a run, especially when you live a life as remarkable as he did.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I remember he did a couple of those "Red on Roundball" segments with Red Auerbach at halftime of NBA games in the 70's. He made a point about how he always blocked a shot with the intent to get the ball to his teammates rather than slapping it out of bounds. I think of that every time I see someone block a shot out of bounds and then play to the crowd.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Blocking it to a teammate for a fast break happens too. If someone is coming baseline and you go for the block, it’s going out of bounds.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I heard him talk about that once as well

I remember he did a couple of those "Red on Roundball" segments with Red Auerbach at halftime of NBA games in the 70's. He made a point about how he always blocked a shot with the intent to get the ball to his teammates rather than slapping it out of bounds. I think of that every time I see someone block a shot out of bounds and then play to the crowd.

And I still think about it when players celebrate swatting a ball out of bounds. I remember he talking about either blacking it to a teammate or blocking it in a way he could control it. Never swatting it out of bounds

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login