Billy Napier is done

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We’ve got our own problems, and he’s whipped us the last two years, but when I heard this quote from SEC media days, the first thing that went through my mind was “he’s done “.

Napier: “It's not about the size of the Gator in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the Gator."

Actually, the first thing that went through my mind was “he’s been getting speaking tips from Butch Jones. “

Reactions: Mountain guy

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
We’ve got our own problems, and he’s whipped us the last two years, but when I heard this quote from SEC media days, the first thing that went through my mind was “he’s done “.

Napier: “It's not about the size of the Gator in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the Gator."

Actually, the first thing that went through my mind was “he’s been getting speaking tips from Butch Jones. “
If he is, I think they will hire Lane Kiffin, who will win national championships down there.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022

They are definitely circling the wagons down there, I wouldn't take them lightly, but that schedule might get him fired, probably the toughest in the nation.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
They, just like FSU, are serious people about their football program. I hope we are if Beamer shows indications, this year, he can't get the job done. I suspect though that we have weaklings in charge.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They, just like FSU, are serious people about their football program. I hope we are if Beamer shows indications, this year, he can't get the job done. I suspect though that we have weaklings in charge.
They are, but it goes to show that being serious may not really matter. They have all the resources, great facilities, one of the most talent rich states in the nation, a tradition of success and they care deeply about football. Yet, outside of a 5-year span under Meyer, they haven't been able to put together a consistent winner since Spurrier left in 2001.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
In today's football climate, it will require ''lightening in a bottle'' except for a few Elite teams no matter who the coach is.
The job description has changed significantly.

Reactions: bcaldw01

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
In today's football climate, it will require ''lightening in a bottle'' except for a few Elite teams no matter who the coach is.
The job description has changed significantly.

Lightning in a bottle is right. Bama was more or less "meh" for a solid decade, while cycling through 3 coaches, before Saban arrived. UGA was stuck in the "good-to-really good" category for 15 years before Kirby arrived. We know about Dabo at Clemson.

A lot of factors have to come together, but the biggest factor is just rolling the dice right on the coaching hire. You simply never know. Muschamp was to be the next big thing in coaching. Tom Herman was to be the next big thing in coaching. Napier was to be the next big thing in coaching.

It's hard to remember now, but nobody really expected what happened at Bama under Saban to happen. He wasn't even the first choice...it was Rich Rodriguez. He certainly came in as a proven successful head coach, but nobody had him pegged back then as the best ever.

There is also a decisiveness involved. UGA ran off a coach who won 75% of his games and had them in the top 10 a season earlier b/c they knew they had to move on Kirby. It was cold-blooded killer move to keep Kirby away from another SEC team.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
They are, but it goes to show that being serious may not really matter. They have all the resources, great facilities, one of the most talent rich states in the nation, a tradition of success and they care deeply about football. Yet, outside of a 5-year span under Meyer, they haven't been able to put together a consistent winner since Spurrier left in 2001.
Some on here say that coaching is not as important as talent. Florida always has talent.

FlebusJones

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Jan 19, 2022
Being able to recruit top 10 classes consistently is one of the ingredients of a great program but obviously it isn't the only one. I never would have thought Kirby would be as successful as he has been. I was convinced Herman was a homerun hire for Texas.

The jury is still out on Beamer though. He has made some tactical young coach mistakes that have led to some bumps in the road. His 3rd year was a combination of bad luck on injuries and poor planning in the NIL to plug gaps. He's had trouble getting top assistants. But if he can hang in there and let the stars align, you never know. I like the way he has handled his portal transfers and his assistants for this season.

Reactions: bcaldw01

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Being able to recruit top 10 classes consistently is one of the ingredients of a great program but obviously it isn't the only one. I never would have thought Kirby would be as successful as he has been. I was convinced Herman was a homerun hire for Texas.

The jury is still out on Beamer though. He has made some tactical young coach mistakes that have led to some bumps in the road. His 3rd year was a combination of bad luck on injuries and poor planning in the NIL to plug gaps. He's had trouble getting top assistants. But if he can hang in there and let the stars align, you never know. I like the way he has handled his portal transfers and his assistants for this season.

It's been a while since I've done it, but you can back probably 20 years or more and look at recruiting rankings. Every single team that has won a national title had at least one top 10 recruiting class in the previous 4 cycles. Most had multiple (as you note).

A top 10 class isn't a guarantee, but it is a requirement. You will not win a title without a top 10 class.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I believe once this schedule came out, with those final 7 games, he was done,

Heck forget Tenn and KY, but look at the last 5

A schedule built for the wheels to come off, and the team to fall apart, and Gator nation to lose their you know what, LOL

Last edited:

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Lightning in a bottle is right. Bama was more or less "meh" for a solid decade, while cycling through 3 coaches, before Saban arrived. UGA was stuck in the "good-to-really good" category for 15 years before Kirby arrived. We know about Dabo at Clemson.

A lot of factors have to come together, but the biggest factor is just rolling the dice right on the coaching hire. You simply never know. Muschamp was to be the next big thing in coaching. Tom Herman was to be the next big thing in coaching. Napier was to be the next big thing in coaching.

It's hard to remember now, but nobody really expected what happened at Bama under Saban to happen. He wasn't even the first choice...it was Rich Rodriguez. He certainly came in as a proven successful head coach, but nobody had him pegged back then as the best ever.

There is also a decisiveness involved. UGA ran off a coach who won 75% of his games and had them in the top 10 a season earlier b/c they knew they had to move on Kirby. It was cold-blooded killer move to keep Kirby away from another SEC team.
Agree. GA made a bold move firing a ''successful'' coach or Kirby may very well have been our coach.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I agree with most of that, especially that they are in a talent-rich state. That's why I say if they hire Kiffin, they will win national championships (at least one, anyway, under Kiffin).

Much of what you say there points to our (South Carolina's) disadvantages. That's why it is ludicrous for Gamecock hiring authorities to think that we can recruit ourselves to national relevancy. We never have been a recruiting powerhouse and never will be. History proves that. History also proves to have even a chance to win the conference, to have a generational season, be a Top 10 or even a Top 20 program, the Head Coach must have "coaching" skills (devise good game plans, be able to strategize, implement tactics to carry out the strategy, be able to organize his staff and motivate). There's a lot more to being the Head "Coach" than just the title.

The good news I believe is that this year's schedule will give us the answer as to whether Beamer is the long-term solution. The question may come down to whether we "care deeply about football". Do we? So far, it looks to me like the answer is "NO", USC is not serious about the sport; but content as can be to be a woman's basketball school.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

A schedule built for the wheels to come off, and the team to fall apart, and Gator nation to lose their you know what, LOL

That is UGLY

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

Agree. Our schedule is comparable. Should Beamer survive if we implode?

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
It's been a while since I've done it, but you can back probably 20 years or more and look at recruiting rankings. Every single team that has won a national title had at least one top 10 recruiting class in the previous 4 cycles. Most had multiple (as you note).

A top 10 class isn't a guarantee, but it is a requirement. You will not win a title without a top 10 class.
For some reason I have a vague memory of BYU winning a national championship. Maybe I'm just dreaming. I don't remember them ever having a top ten class. I do seem to remember that they had a good coach.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
For some reason I have a vague memory of BYU winning a national championship. Maybe I'm just dreaming. I don't remember them ever having a top ten class. I do seem to remember that they had a good coach.

Yeah, but BYU was way more than 20 years ago.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Player talent is important. But, it's not the end all. Our leadership goes about its business as if it is. I recall a recruiting service labeling Brad Scott, when we hired him, as the best recruiter in the nation. Will Muschamp failed at Florida. At his first press conference at Carolina, he pointed to his wife's looks as proof he could recruit (ha ha). And we all remember Beamer being shoved down our throats by some here because he is a "great recruiter". I hope Beamer works out. But if he doesn't, I hope lessons have been learned.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Yeah, but BYU was way more than 20 years ago.

Yeah, they won the title in 84. Forty years ago. Don't think they even had recruiting rankings then. At least not like they do now.

GaTech won a split title in 1990 with Colorado. Not sure either of them would have had a top 10 class. Probably not. But, again, recruiting rankings weren't a thing like they are now.

I would be willing to bet in the last 25-30 years, nobody has won a title without a top 10 class.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
It's hard to sell Brussell sprouts when others are dangling Wagyu on a regular basis. Regardless of the coach.
If you can't offer Wagyu, it will take ''lightening in a bottle'' as posted above.

SILVERSPUR-rier

Joined Nov 18, 2004
Jan 18, 2022
Hope spring eternal. From the official Florida athletics web page:

Dec 7 (Sat) SEC Champtionship 4:00 Atlanta, GA

And I thought our schedule was brutal....

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
I agree with most of that, especially that they are in a talent-rich state. That's why I say if they hire Kiffin, they will win national championships (at least one, anyway, under Kiffin).

Much of what you say there points to our (South Carolina's) disadvantages. That's why it is ludicrous for Gamecock hiring authorities to think that we can recruit ourselves to national relevancy. We never have been a recruiting powerhouse and never will be. History proves that. History also proves to have even a chance to win the conference, to have a generational season, be a Top 10 or even a Top 20 program, the Head Coach must have "coaching" skills (devise good game plans, be able to strategize, implement tactics to carry out the strategy, be able to organize his staff and motivate). There's a lot more to being the Head "Coach" than just the title.

The good news I believe is that this year's schedule will give us the answer as to whether Beamer is the long-term solution. The question may come down to whether we "care deeply about football". Do we? So far, it looks to me like the answer is "NO", USC is not serious about the sport; but content as can be to be a woman's basketball school.
There is absolutely no evidence to support the proposition that the administration, AD, or fans at SC are “content” being a women’s basketball school. We pour tons of money into football and fire coaches when they are not successful. I think there are fans who are “realistic” and understand becoming Bama or Georgia in football is a long shot, but virtually everyone actively involved wants a successfu, winning program

Reactions: Rogue Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT HAVING A DIFFICULT SCHEDULE!!!

Every team in the SEC has a difficult schedule.
True. That being said, if we have a disappointing season, there are going to be some who will use the schedule crutch, as their excuse. It's already used as an excuse.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT HAVING A DIFFICULT SCHEDULE!!!

Every team in the SEC has a difficult schedule.

I have not researched but I'm sure many SEC schedules have 3 or 4 tough teams in a row, and probably not all at the end of the season, since this is a thread about the demise of Sun Belt Billy, I think it is interesting that their schedule finishes with 5 really tough opponents, all top 14, and 3 that are in the ESPN post spring top 6, for 2024, and the way their schedule finishes is prevalent to the discussion and will play a role in his demise.

I guess we agree to disagree on that schedule being relevant to the demise of Sun Belt Billy.

Last edited:

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I have a strong feeling the Canes stream roll UF, and then the locals come out with the pitchforks.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Reactions: Thunderstick
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login