Blackstone revisited (recipes)

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
Wasn’t really shopping for one but picked up a 36” blackstone this week from an individual that had it a year and only used a few times. Thing is like new, no rust and pretty well seasoned… $175, couldn’t pass it up. I already have a Weber kettle and a Weber gas grill that runs off my house natural gas on the patio. Ordered the natural gas conversion kit for the blackstone yesterday.

Watched a bunch of cleaning, care, etc… videos yesterday so I’m good there.

First cook was bacon mainly to just add to the seasoning of the top and I can see breakfast being a staple with this thing. I looked through old threads to see recipe ideas (as well as google for recipe ideas). Looks like the last discussion kicked around on here was last fall. Any new recipes you flat top users have?

As said, breakfast will be good. I will try burgers, steak, pork chops, etc. but like my Webers for that already. I can definitely see using this thing for blackened fish and shrimp. Saw something called flat top jambalaya that looked worth trying. Anyway, what y’all got?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
No recipes but some YouTube channels to follow.

Sam the cooking guy.
Flattop king.
Blackstone
HowToBBQRight has also stated posting blackstone videos.

If you want to make fajitas that taste like the local Tex mex then pickup Malcolm’s grande gringo. Only seasoning you need.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Todd Toven works for Blackstone and has a Youtube channel that he does lots of recipes with and also travels around doing cooking demos. His recipes are good but to me he's kind of corny or too silly sometimes, good recipes and demos though.

Also Roku has a Blackstone channel where Bruce Mitchell (overall wearing coonass from Swamp People show) cooks all kinds of stuff at an outdoor cabin in the swamp on the Blackstone. There's some other guy on the channel too with a few videos that's lets say, a little more polished than Bruce, but recipes aren't as good as Bruce

In process of re-seasoning my Blackstone. I originally used Flaxseed oil that was highly recommended for its high smoke/flash point, put about 7 or 8 coats on it over the course of 2 days. It was really expensive stuff and just didn't do a good job, its slowly been coming off over last year or so. I do a lot of cast iron re-seasoning and have started using Crisbee Puck's for that and really like it, going to put that on this time and see how it does on the flat top.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m not trying to be argumentative but I just don’t understand the love for the outdoor flat tops. A piece of bacon or a piece of sausage or a hamburger isn’t going to taste any different on a Blackstone than it will out of a skillet on a stove top. If I want to cook outside I have a cast iron griddle that I can cook over a fire in the egg or on the gas side burner. I’ve cooked on several and they are great for cooking for a crowd but they’re much harder to clean than a skillet. Not only do you have to clean it after you cook but your going to have to clean it again before the next cook because you’ve mowed the lawn or a spider has built under the cover. I get their purpose in a Waffle House but I just don’t think it would add anything to my patio cooking

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I’m not trying to be argumentative but I just don’t understand the love for the outdoor flat tops. A piece of bacon or a piece of sausage or a hamburger isn’t going to taste any different on a Blackstone than it will out of a skillet on a stove top. If I want to cook outside I have a cast iron griddle that I can cook over a fire in the egg or on the gas side burner. I’ve cooked on several and they are great for cooking for a crowd but they’re much harder to clean than a skillet. Not only do you have to clean it after you cook but your going to have to clean it again before the next cook because you’ve mowed the lawn or a spider has built under the cover. I get their purpose in a Waffle House but I just don’t think it would add anything to my patio cooking

I'm about the same on it. The wife had to have one but immediately complained it was too hot to use. It is great for fajitas because of the 4 different temperature zones and I do blackened fish on it but that's about all anymore. In a few months it will be just 2 of us at the house and I'd rather use a cast iron skillet in the grill or in the air conditioned kitchen. I do use it a little more in the winter.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

For 1 person, the skillet is fine but the blackstone will be much better for family meals/gatherings. Also, keep the heat and smell outside, especially when the A/C is running full blast trying to keep up anyway.

As for flavor, I agree, haven't seen a big difference in blackstone vs skilklet.

As for atmosphere, there is just something about cooking outside that seems much more relaxed and less like work.

Nov 29, 2017
I just bought one this past weekend as well. I’m having a problem getting the bottom left corner to turn black, I love it so far though.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

It's great because of the sheer volume you can cook at one time. Your griddle will not handle a pound of bacon and sausage, a dozen eggs, and hash browns and have them ready at one time. Of course you will work your *** off.
Also, because my wife does not have to wash a single dish, which makes her very happy.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

It may be all psychological but to me it does taste different. Also seems to cook faster. But my main thing is being able to get it all done at one time. I can have bacon and sausage on one end, hashbrowns and eggs in the middle, and pancakes and French toast on the other end. Get all my pancakes in and buttered at one time while they're still hot enough to melt butter. And there's just something about cooking outside.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I bought the smallest cheapest one possible because I didn’t think I’d use it often. And now I use it more than anything else. It’s basically replaced the gas grill I have. I bought the gas grill to be able to cook hot dogs, or chicken quickly during the work week. Can’t remember the last time I turned on the gas grill. As for cleanup, squirt some water on there and wipe while it’s still hot and everything comes right off.

The main benefit to me is keeps smells out of the house, keeps from messing up dishes and it’s great for searing.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
-I agree, it doesn't taste any different but it cooks so much faster and you can cook so much at one time its a huge time saver.

-A griddle on a burner sucks bad. I've got a cast iron griddle and a carbon steel one and if you put those on a burner you end up w/ a big ole hot spot right in the middle of griddle.

-Cleaning is a piece of cake if you've got it seasoned. I'll send the food inside w/ wife while I clean mine and I will have it cleaned before she has the food ready to plate. Turn flat top up as high as it will go, wipe grease off w/ paper towel and scrape the food residue into grease container w/ scraper, wet a big dish towel and throw it on the griddle and spray some water anywhere there is a stubborn spot. The hot towel and spray water steams any residue off easily (steam will burn the hell out of you though I hear). Spray a little oil over the griddle, wipe the excess off and cover it and its ready to go next time, doesn't take me much if any over 5 minutes. I've got a hard cover and a vinyl one and usually use both, keeps the weather, bugs, and rodents off of it and I never have to clean it before I use it next time.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
The thing I dislike most about cooking in the kitchen is scrubbing numerous pots, pans, utensils, etc in the kitchen sink. While this flat top still requires cleaning, it has seemed so far to be an easier and quicker clean up as compared to the kitchen sink routine (does not apply to all meal types).

The more videos I watch, the more I can see me selling my Weber gas grill. The Peeper: I watched nearly all of Bruce’s shows this morning on Roku. While some were good and some not, all gave ideas for other ways to use this thing.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Wasn’t really shopping for one but picked up a 36” blackstone this week from an individual that had it a year and only used a few times. Thing is like new, no rust and pretty well seasoned… $175, couldn’t pass it up. I already have a Weber kettle and a Weber gas grill that runs off my house natural gas on the patio. Ordered the natural gas conversion kit for the blackstone yesterday.

Watched a bunch of cleaning, care, etc… videos yesterday so I’m good there.

First cook was bacon mainly to just add to the seasoning of the top and I can see breakfast being a staple with this thing. I looked through old threads to see recipe ideas (as well as google for recipe ideas). Looks like the last discussion kicked around on here was last fall. Any new recipes you flat top users have?

As said, breakfast will be good. I will try burgers, steak, pork chops, etc. but like my Webers for that already. I can definitely see using this thing for blackened fish and shrimp. Saw something called flat top jambalaya that looked worth trying. Anyway, what y’all got?

Smoked sausage tortellini

Add 4-cheese tortellini (already boiled)
with sautée red onions, green peppers, garlic (and mushrooms if u like)
cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
jar of red pepper strips (juice & all)
spinach leaves
mozzerella pearls near the end.

Toss that around with your spatulas.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Jambalaya. The only changes I make to the recipe video are (1) don’t put the butter on the sausage; (2) Louisiana hot sauce; and (3) right at the end I add some chicken stock and stir it in well. You have to be careful with the rice after adding stock. If you leave it on the flat top too long, the rice might begin to stick.

This makes a damn ton of food and it’s simple.

https://youtube.com/shorts/g0nxhSUrVfY?feature=share

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Rinse the rice good until the white starch is all gone and water runs clear and also make it ahead of time and refrigerate and that helps prevent sticking and clumping

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Rinse the rice good until the white starch is all gone and water runs clear and also make it ahead of time and refrigerate and that helps prevent sticking and clumping

I do all of that and make it the day before. I also let it dry out for a couple hours on a pan after cooking. The issue is adding broth to it and leaving it on the griddle for a long time. It negates the prep. I cook it for only about 3-4 minutes more after the broth. But in my opinion that recipe is much better with broth.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I believe the outdoor cooking crazy is nothing more than a vast conspiracy by women to get men to do all the cooking.*** (Semi-sarcasterisks)

"hey! Hey! Do that brand new thang."

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
That’s actually how I ended up with my last 2 purchases. My wife convinced me to buy her a bullseye and blackstone so she can cook outside. Guess who still does all the outside cooking? It’s almost daily I’m outside on one of the cookers. Now she’s wanting to bring the fryer up from the shop so “she” can cook on it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login