blind resume time

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
TEAM A projected 9 seed - 19-12 overall record, 3-9 Quad 1, 4-2 Quad 2, 10-1 Quad 3, 2-0 Quad 4
TEAM B projected 11 seed - 20-11 overall record, 4-7 Quad 1, 3-3 Quad 2, 5-1 Quad 3, 8-0 Quad 4
TEAM C projected 5 seed - 18-12 overall record, 9-10 Quad 1, 2-2 Quad 2, 1-0 Quad 3, 6-0 Quad 4
TEAM D projected 8 seed - 20-11 overall record, 3-9 Quad 1, 5-2 Quad 2, 4-0 Quad 3, 8-0 Quad 4

Team A is Arkansas, Team B is MSU, Team C is Iowa State, Team D is Maryland
This really helps show who even with a bunch of Quad 4 games, a team can still be a strong seed if they also play and win a lot of Quad 1 games.
Iowa State played 19 Quad 1 games to MSU's 11.
It also shows how If MSU just scheduled a few more Q3 instead of Q4 games, we would likely be 2 spots higher since thats exactly what Arkansas did.
And I included Maryland in there since their record is the same as MSU's, MSU has a better Quad 1 record, and they played just as many Quad 4 games. The big difference if they have a better Quad 2 record...but thats still surprising to see them 3 spots higher.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
TLDR -- C, A, D, B

I don't know about being a 5-seed but I'd take C in a heartbeat.

A is next. Not many Quad 4 games offsets that Quad 3 loss.

Team B has a slightly better record versus Quad 1 than does D but those Quad 2 & 3 losses

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
TEAM A projected 9 seed - 19-12 overall record, 3-9 Quad 1, 4-2 Quad 2, 10-1 Quad 3, 2-0 Quad 4
TEAM B projected 11 seed - 20-11 overall record, 4-7 Quad 1, 3-3 Quad 2, 5-1 Quad 3, 8-0 Quad 4
TEAM C projected 5 seed - 18-12 overall record, 9-10 Quad 1, 2-2 Quad 2, 1-0 Quad 3, 6-0 Quad 4
TEAM D projected 8 seed - 20-11 overall record, 3-9 Quad 1, 5-2 Quad 2, 4-0 Quad 3, 8-0 Quad 4

Team A is Arkansas, Team B is MSU, Team C is Iowa State, Team D is Maryland
This really helps show who even with a bunch of Quad 4 games, a team can still be a strong seed if they also play and win a lot of Quad 1 games.
Iowa State played 19 Quad 1 games to MSU's 11.
It also shows how If MSU just scheduled a few more Q3 instead of Q4 games, we would likely be 2 spots higher since thats exactly what Arkansas did.
And I included Maryland in there since their record is the same as MSU's, MSU has a better Quad 1 record, and they played just as many Quad 4 games. The big difference if they have a better Quad 2 record...but thats still surprising to see them 3 spots higher.
What are our Quad 4 games? Are two of them USCe? Or just the home game against them?

Can we realistically avoid Quad 4 games in the preseason? I know you are going to be suprised by teams that end up being worse than expected, but could we realistically fill out our preseason home schedule with regional teams that are likely to be good enough to keep those home games as Quad 3 games at worst, subject to one or two surprises?

ETA: Looks like the sure fire killers are the two SWAC and Southland teams. Not sure how hard it is to get a home game against mid majors, but some regional options:

Tulane (100)
South Alabama (104)
Belmont (116)
Middle Tenn. (119)
Troy (136)
Samford (137)
UNC Asheville (139)
Missouri ST. (142)
Lipscomb (152)
La Tech (163; so Quad 4, but geographically close and could go either way)
Eastern KY, Western Ky, and Chattanooga are other Quad 4 teams that are at least reasonably close to Quad 3.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
What are our Quad 4 games? Are two of them USCe? Or just the home game against them?

Can we realistically avoid Quad 4 games in the preseason? I know you are going to be suprised by teams that end up being worse than expected, but could we realistically fill out our preseason home schedule with regional teams that are likely to be good enough to keep those home games as Quad 3 games at worst, subject to one or two surprises?
Only SEC Q4 game was 1 vs South Carolina. Of course we have to play some Q4 games non-conference, but we sure don't have to play 7 of them, including 5 vs teams ranked #295 and lower. For comparison, last year we only played 5 Q4 games and only 2 vs teams ranked below #257. With a halfway reasonable schedule, we're in the NCAAT with room to spare.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I dont think we can or rather would avoid Q4 games entirely, but we could definitely hedge away from them. You dont have the benefit of hindsight once the season is in gear, but you do have some historical data to show if a team will likely be good/mediocre/bad.

Q4 games are home against anyone 161-353, Neutral 201-353, and Away 241-353.

Our weak non-conference games...
TAM-CC could have been avoided, though its a borderline Q4 game so no way of knowing ahead.
Arkansas PB could have been avoided. They have been bad/weak for years.
South Dakota could not have been avoided.
Omaha could have been avoided, though they were better in years past.
Mississippi Valley State could have been avoided. They have been bad/weak for years.
Jackson State could have been avoided. They have been bad/weak for years.
Omaha could have been avoided, though they were better in years past.

No reason to play AR-PB, MVSU, and Jackson State.
Itd be better to play teams like Mercer or GA Southern on the road when no students are on campus as they would be easy Q3 wins. Thats the benefit of hindsight though, I selected 2 teams I know would be Q4 wins at home and Q3 wins on the road. You dont know that going into the season.

Anyways, just dont willingly schedule more than 1 team that finished below 250 in the prior year. That alone has to eliminate a couple bad teams from the schedule each year and replace them with mediocre teams instead.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No reason to play AR-PB, MVSU, and Jackson State.

I've said for years that MSU should only play one SWAC+MEAC team yearly. Considering that this year was expected to be a rebuilding year, the weak schedule was actually kind of expected.

Corpus Christi - well, at least they're the regular season champions of the Southland-- not that it matters.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login