Bo Bounds kept saying a few days ago that fanbase/crowd sizes doesn't affect wins and losses.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
....so just wanted to let him know, that if he reads this (which he does, but then attempts to act 'above'), that he's 100% dead wrong. It's dang near the most important variable. Fanbase size and power affects culture, fundraising, home field advantage, NIL, ability to attract coaches, everything.

What are you smoking @Out of Bounds ? Love the show and will continue to listen so you'll get a bump in ratings from me. But damn man. At least ATTEMPT to rise out of that level of small-mindedness.

I know what he's thinking. Coaches and players win games, blah blah. That's just too shallow. The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans.

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
Bo is the worst.
Animated GIF

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
....so just wanted to let him know, that if he reads this (which he does, but then attempts to act 'above'), that he's 100% dead wrong. It's dang near the most important variable. Fanbase size and power affects culture, fundraising, home field advantage, NIL, ability to attract coaches, everything.

What are you smoking @Out of Bounds ? Love the show and will continue to listen so you'll get a bump in ratings from me. But damn man. At least ATTEMPT to rise out of that level of small-mindedness.

I know what he's thinking. Coaches and players win games, blah blah. That's just too shallow. The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans.
Yes. That’s been proven by all the conference and national championships we have garnered throughout the years. One regular season SEC Championship since 1989 and finally won the CWS to pull us level with Coastal Carolina and Fresno State.

Reactions: RockyDog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I wasn't able to listen that day to know the full context. However in general, I would say Vanderbilt is proof that you don't need fans.

with that said, Vandy has a lot to offer talented players, outside of baseball to attend school and play there. The Dude and the fans is all MSU has to offer talented players.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

In college baseball, fanbase size has little to do with W/L’s

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Was his comment only on reference to baseball or was it all sports? If its just baseball, there are plenty of examples of it not mattering as much as people think. Vandy, Cal State Fullerton, etc. It does matter to a point, but its way less important than recruiting footprint, school / town size and atmosphere, historical program success, how much money players are getting in aid and NIL, current coaching staff strengths and weaknesses, academic strengths of the school, etc. Its all about the players and how to get them. Sure, they like big crowds and nice stadiums, but they would all play in a parking lot if they gave everything else above a 10 out of 10.

Florida is one example. In baseball our fanbase is way bigger than theirs, but we are never catching them as a program. They have too many built-in recruiting advantages. LSU of course has the biggest fanbase in the country and also has been the most stable AND highest ceiling program for a while.

I would argue that a big fanbase raises your floor as a program, and helps with consistency, but it does nothing for your ceiling.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I can't listen to Bo Bounds because he and his side kick never seem to be able to finish a sentence, much less a thought. I don't see how anyone could wade through a segment unless he's interviewing an athlete or coach - he does a good job there.
The other 'sports guys' he interviews are all over the place.

That written, it's great to give ourselves credit as fans for showing up and out, but we've been doing that a long time and the only things that win championships are coaching (that doesn't suck) and elite talent - in our case, transformational talent. And then you still have to appease the baseball gods.

Anyway, after 2021 and the NIL the ONE AND ONLY thing will be MONEY - but you'll still have to appease the baseball gods.

But, no. And sorry Bulldog fans - I'm a proud one myself - it is NOT about the fans. Not in baseball and that's a fact.

Last edited:

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

In baseball? Haha crowd size is completely irrelevant. In fact, Polk has said on multiple occasions that his boys couldn’t perform in front of our big crowd. (because they are mentally weak).

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Bo's opinion on how to win is slightly more valuable to me than yours is.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't understand why Bo gets so much hate on this board. To me, and I'm probably not his intended audience, his persona is "cringy," but it obviously works. There are not many better cheerleaders for Starkville and MSU.
I can think of a lot more "better cheerleaders for Starkville and MSU", but thats not why i do or don't listen to Bo Bounds or any other sports radio show. I want good info without feeling embarrassed for the guy giving me the info.

Matt Wyatt isn't the greatest radio personality in the world but he provides good analysis. And he's a lot less "cringy" than Bo.

But I don't listen to much sports talk radio anymore.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yes. That’s been proven by all the conference and national championships we have garnered throughout the years. One regular season SEC Championship since 1989 and finally won the CWS to pull us level with Coastal Carolina and Fresno State.
We have a good baseball program with great fan support. NIL is what's gonna matter now and not condos in left field.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

In football and basketball, yes it matters. In baseball, not so much. You have to think about the "crowds" that high school and travel ball baseball players play in front of. Nobody is there but relatives and their fat little girlfriends.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Was his comment only on reference to baseball or was it all sports? If its just baseball, there are plenty of examples of it not mattering as much as people think. Vandy, Cal State Fullerton, etc. It does matter to a point, but its way less important than recruiting footprint, school / town size and atmosphere, historical program success, how much money players are getting in aid and NIL, current coaching staff strengths and weaknesses, academic strengths of the school, etc. Its all about the players and how to get them. Sure, they like big crowds and nice stadiums, but they would all play in a parking lot if they gave everything else above a 10 out of 10.

Florida is one example. In baseball our fanbase is way bigger than theirs, but we are never catching them as a program. They have too many built-in recruiting advantages. LSU of course has the biggest fanbase in the country and also has been the most stable AND highest ceiling program for a while.

I would argue that a big fanbase raises your floor as a program, and helps with consistency, but it does nothing for your ceiling.
You are correct.

So it's silly to say that it doesn't matter. If we didn't have it, we'd be Alabama or Auburn baseball.

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You nerds are still falling for his shtick.

Bo=CL
Nah. It's a good show and I want him to be successful, and I support it. Mississippi needs more successful people.

This wasn't one of his hot takes to get texts. That was something he truly believed, and apparently so do many of the posters on this board. They are all wrong, but oh well, you're allowed to be wrong from time to time.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Let me say that I would take typically take whatever Bo Bounds says w/ a grain of salt. That narcissistic little man disease infested troll would be the last I would ask an opinion of. That said, in this instance, I don't totally disagree with him.

UCLA plays in a 42 year old stadium that seats 1,800 and seldom has more than 300 there. They don't have fans, they just have people that walk by and say "whats going on here?" They've won as many National Championships as we have (beat us 2 games to none to win it even) and they are perennially in the NCAA tournament.

Coastal Carolina plays in a 5,400 seat stadium. They've been to a slew of NCAA tournaments, won conference championships and have the same number of Natty's we do after winning it all in 2016......

The Campbell Fighting Camels came her a few years ago to a regional and played their hearts out and won some well deserved fans in the process. They've been to the NCAA tourney 5 times since 2014, won 4 conference championships since 2018. Their stadium holds a whopping 1,250 fans.

None of the 3 above teams have anywhere near the history we have but all 3 of the above teams are Nationally ranked today and waaaaay better than ours right now. We had 13,000 last Saturday after getting embarrassed the night before by 23 runs, those 3 would have under 5,000 combined on any good Saturday but they seem to be doing pretty well.

-Vanderbilt's stadium holds 3,700 fans and shares bathrooms, concessions, and an entrance gate w/ the adjacent football stadium. We had way more fans than they did last 2 times I went there for a series. They've got 2 trophys
-Oregon St stadium is over 100 years old and seats 3,500, they've got 2 trophys

Fanbase size may help w/ money but when it comes to winning there are a lot of instances just like the 5 above that refute your statement, "The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans", it just isn't true as a blanket statement.

And did I mention I don't care for Bo Bounds? Well, I don't ........

Last edited:

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
Now days at least in football and basketball i wouldn't say crowd size is overly important but fan base size and more importantly your donor network are extremely important, more so in my opinion than whoever the current coach or players are.
We simply don't fundraise enough money to be consistently competitive for championships. We fall about where we should and usually overachieve in those two sports a good bit compared to our budget and what the rest of the SEC teams' budgets are.

we are basically last or second to last in every major financial category.

there is a reason alabama and Georgia dominate in football, they've got good coaches but they also spend more on recruiting than we have for our entire football budget just about.

We all want Champagne bottle popping results on a natty lite budget. Don't get me wrong I prefer natty lite but it's not gonna win you championships

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let me say that I would take typically take whatever Bo Bounds says w/ a grain of salt. That narcissistic little man disease infested troll would be the last I would ask an opinion of. That said, in this instance, I don't totally disagree with him.

UCLA plays in a 42 year old stadium that seats 1,800 and seldom has more than 300 there. They don't have fans, they just have people that walk by and say "whats going on here?" They've won as many National Championships as we have (beat us 2 games to none to win it even) and they are perennially in the NCAA tournament.

Coastal Carolina plays in a 5,400 seat stadium. They've been to a slew of NCAA tournaments, won conference championships and have the same number of Natty's we do after winning it all in 2016......

The Campbell Fighting Camels came her a few years ago to a regional and played their hearts out and won some well deserved fans in the process. They've been to the NCAA tourney 5 times since 2014, won 4 conference championships since 2018. Their stadium holds a whopping 1,250 fans.

None of the 3 above teams have anywhere near the history we have but all 3 of the above teams are Nationally ranked today and waaaaay better than ours right now. We had 13,000 last Saturday after getting embarrassed the night before by 23 runs, those 3 would have under 5,000 combined on any good Saturday but they seem to be doing pretty well.

-Vanderbilt's stadium holds 3,700 fans and shares bathrooms, concessions, and an entrance gate w/ the adjacent football stadium. We had way more fans than they did last 2 times I went there for a series. They've got 2 trophys
-Oregon St stadium is over 100 years old and seats 3,500, they've got 2 trophys

Fanbase size may help w/ money but when it comes to winning there are a lot of instances just like the 5 above that refute your statement, "The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans", it just isn't true as a blanket statement.

And did I mention I don't care for Bo Bounds? Well, I don't ........
Can you guy quit trying to make this argument? It doesn't hold up.

UCLA is located in Los Angeles, one of the most talent rich areas in the country, with people who have plenty of money to pay for college.

Vanderbilt has need-based aid to attract players, and while they recruit nationally, they are also located in a high-talent area.

Oregon State was built by Pat Casey.

Coastal Carolina and Campbell aren't comparable to us. But their rises were due to coaching.

ALL of this matters. You're trying to attract the best coaches and players you can. Some have money, some have talent, some get lucky and get a great coach. It takes luck sometimes. We have a big crowd, fanbase and culture. That's why we've been able to maintain a pretty good program for 50 years. That's our advantage. If you take that away from us, we won't be able to duplicate what UCLA and Vandy have done, unless we get extremely lucky with a Pat Casey-type coach. Odds are against that. And even those programs still have to get lucky with a coach. Vandy was nothing until Corbin got there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Goat you need to decide what your argument is going to be. You can't say this: "The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans" and then backtrack when I show you programs that are successful and don't have fan bases.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Goat you need to decide what your argument is going to be. You can't say this: "The coaches and players aren't there if not for the program created by fans" and then backtrack when I show you programs that are successful and don't have fan bases.
There is a difference between not being necessary and not mattering. Fan support isn't necessary. But it's helpful. It's partly why being good in baseball is more or less the rule in the SEC rather than the exception.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In football and basketball, yes it matters. In baseball, not so much. You have to think about the "crowds" that high school and travel ball baseball players play in front of. Nobody is there but relatives and their fat little girlfriends.
Came here to post this. In any individual game, I don't think the crowd matters that much. Most of the players are used to playing a lot of games in front of nobody. For every player that having a crowd pumps up there is probably another player that it causes to either try too hard or to choke.

Certainly it's easier to have a good program with good crowds because I think most players want to play in front of crowds all else being equal (and I also assume that bigger crowds means more and higher quality cleat chasers although I don't have any data to back that up). But I don't think it creates a home field advantage to nearly the extent it does in other sports. Maybe you get more favorable calls in general when umps get lit up by the crowd for a screwup against the home team if the home team has a big crowd? I think pitchers are more likely to feed off the energy without it negatively impacting their play? Maybe the other team is more likely to choke in the field with a lot of fan noise? I think all of that gives an edge, but I just don't think it's big or consistent.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You are correct.

So it's silly to say that it doesn't matter. If we didn't have it, we'd be Alabama or Auburn baseball.

I’ll also add that it’s kind of a strange argument because the schools with big fanbases only have big fanbases because of the history / success / recruiting / MLB household names / great coaches / huge and vibrant population areas, etc. Long term success brings big crowds, not the other way around.

Take MSU for instance. Without the long string of success and great players in the late 70’s and 80’s, we really would be Alabama / Auburn baseball. We wouldn’t have had all these fans backing up trucks to the outfield fence to watch 35-20 teams that barely make regionals and have no Clark’s, Palmeiro’s, or what have you.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I can think of a lot more "better cheerleaders for Starkville and MSU", but thats not why i do or don't listen to Bo Bounds or any other sports radio show. I want good info without feeling embarrassed for the guy giving me the info.

Matt Wyatt isn't the greatest radio personality in the world but he provides good analysis. And he's a lot less "cringy" than Bo.

Speaking of Matt Wyatt, is there a reason he doesn't do color on any MSU baseball games anymore?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Bo's right on the surface but he's leaving out an important caviat on purpose (cuz he's a dick). No top tier fanbase with top tier facilities and top tier investment should accept what's happening now. We've got the ways and means of pulling in top level coaching that produces the results the fan base deserves.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bo's right on the surface but he's leaving out an important caviat on purpose (cuz he's a dick). No top tier fanbase with top tier facilities and top tier investment should accept what's happening now. We've got the ways and means of pulling in top level coaching that produces the results the fan base deserves.
Soooooo then......fanbase DOES matter....

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Thats partially true, but we shouldn't expect to not have down years. Yes i understand down is very bad right now, but we are never going to be the Alabama of baseball. And really no one has been. LSU probably the closest thing to ever being that.

Speaking of Alabama, you had dumb @$$es who thought Saban should have been fired at times over the last 15 years.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
if all of those things mattered? Why did MSU have such a hard time bringing in a coach with a new stadium and a team with four future first round picks ?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
if all of those things mattered? Why did MSU have such a hard time bringing in a coach with a new stadium and a team with four future first round picks ?
We took a good B1G program's coach. Think about that for a second.

Texas got an AAC coach, so did South Carolina.

It isn't easy. We didn't have "a hard time" like so many of you idiots think, simply because we didn't get Tim friggin Corbin and Dan McDonnell. And we could have had Schloss had we truly been committed to that.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That sounds reasonable. It seems there's an element saying we should forget our history and just accept today's fate. I ain't buying that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That sounds reasonable. It seems there's an element saying we should forget our history and just accept today's fate. I ain't buying that.
NIL ain't an issue with 80% of the players. To assume it's the only thing that matters is just pure cynicism.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

I listen to Bo more days than not, but he is certainly a name dropper and very cringy at times. He mentioned the other day that he included a certain restaurant on his top 5, 10, whatever meals of 2022. I get that is part of his shtick, so I take the bad with the good. He has good guests for the most part and I enjoy that. I couldn’t care any less about his food and drink opinions.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I listen to Bo more days than not, but he is certainly a name dropper and very cringy at times. ....... He has good guests for the most part and I enjoy that. I couldn’t care any less about his food and drink opinions.
I agree with this.

I have to admit I enjoyed his interview with Brooks Bryan. When they mentioned Cotton District Grill... I went down memory lane. I'd enjoy it if that place became something again.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I agree with this.

I have to admit I enjoyed his interview with Brooks Bryan. When they mentioned Cotton District Grill... I went down memory lane. I'd enjoy it if that place became something again.
It’s a restaurant now. It’s just not very good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login