Bo Bounds

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I know. I usually do not listen to him but he was suggesting they might keep Arnett and replace the DC or other staff. Would anybody think that was the right thing to do ? Seems like a waste of time and money to me. I would be disappointed personally

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
OC and C make coaches look good or make them look bad. He did not hire good ones. Arnett is making the adjustments at half or the defense, but no one is doing it for the offense.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
In my mind, that would be the absolute minimum off-season expectations, but like you said… I don’t think it does a thing to fix the problem with the program as a whole.

We can talk all day about what’s fair or not when it comes to giving head coaches time, and I get the “next year’s gonna suck regardless arguments”, but imagine this scenario. What if Arnett loses a couple more of our top ‘24 recruits which I honestly expect at this point, and by keeping this staff for another year, we now have two consecutive recruiting classes in the 50s if not lower?

As the saying goes, what must be done eventually should be done immediately. We’re about to find out what kind of AD we have

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
With Tom Herman and Clay Helton, two HCs with success at the highest levels, out there and gettable for a decent price, we'd be crazy not to move all our chips to the middle of the table.

Personally I think if Arnett goes 6-6 he's back, but I have zero inside knowledge or connection.

The issue is that Keenum would have to admit he made a major mistake and folks at his level don't like doing that.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That would be disappointing and lazy. Which is why I fully expect this is what will happen.

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem is Arnett, not Barbay and Brock. If we let him stay and fire the coordinators, that's just compounding a mistake. This thing is not about the coordinators.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Him firing 1st year assistants is in essence saying "I 17d up and didn't do my due diligence in evaluating these guys". In this instance the DC even worked under Arnett last year so what does that say especially?

I think the biggest error made was not in some way at least discussing that this was an interim evaluation for him and structuring the contract accordingly. (this assumes it wasn't discussed) Given the circumstances (new, young, 1st time HC in the SEC w/ NO HC EXPERIENCE and the time frame) to say that it would be used against us in recruiting if he wasn't given a long term contract is a weak argument in this case. It wouldn't be saying he wouldn't be given a long term one, it would simple be saying it would be evaluated at the end of this year. As a new recruit that isn't a total turn off especially now that its as easy as taking a morning dump to transfer elsewhere. Instead as it stands, we either pony up the buyout and go through the search or are stuck w/ 'this' (whatever 'this' is) for another year including another recruiting year, w/ recruits knowing he is on the hot seat........

patdog

May 28, 2007
The problem is Arnett, not Barbay and Brock. If we let him stay and fire the coordinators, that's just compounding a mistake. This thing is not about the coordinators.
When one coordinator is doing a bad job, you have a problem with a coordinator. When both coordinators are doing a bad job, you have a problem with your head coach.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I like the idea of searching for a coach without a ton of competition. Guarantee if we put this off then we’ll find ourselves with no other option but to search for a coach during one of those crazy years where 1/4th of the FBS schools are searching right there with us.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
To be fair, I kinda need the added context of the next four games. There’s technically a path to us finishing with an acceptable record that most would probably be OK with. I think it’s probably an unlikely path. But I’m willing to see what happens. We will know all we need to know 3 weeks from today, i.e. Black Friday.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is why I hate early signing period and the portal now. If you wait till end of season it's too late to fire a coach and get one before all of that closes. You can't see how things are going to end even if you think it might be bad or good.

Reactions: patdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If we just fire the assistants what makes anyone think that good candidates will be interested in our jobs knowing that there is an extremely high chance that a year from now they will be unemployed? The only alternative is to guarantee the candidates a very strong financial severance package. That just digs a deeper hole. We are much better off to just admit that we messed up, wipe the slate clean, and start over.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Considering what Arnept contract looks like it was basically an interim contract even tho they did not apply the interim title. And I can understand saying we need to see the whole season before we make judgement but honestly, has anyone seen any improvement so far ? I mean the offense is all over the map. Looked decent against SC but zero defense. Defense " looked" good at Arky but zero offense. I can barely watch this garbage and will not buy into the line that we just don't have talent. BS we have enough talent to look competent at least

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I know. I usually do not listen to him but he was suggesting they might keep Arnett and replace the DC or other staff. Would anybody think that was the right thing to do ? Seems like a waste of time and money to me. I would be disappointed personally
That will be STRIKE TWO against Zac Selmon.

I mean, who is going to wanna sign up to work for Arnett at this point? Who would wanna transfer here? Who would want to stay another year? Who would wanna buy season tickets?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Arnett is a less-ready Rockey Felker. We made a mistake; and, of course, the most MSU thing to do is to make a bigger mistake keeping him.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
With Tom Herman and Clay Helton, two HCs with success at the highest levels, out there and gettable for a decent price, we'd be crazy not to move all our chips to the middle of the table.

Personally I think if Arnett goes 6-6 he's back, but I have zero inside knowledge or connection.

The issue is that Keenum would have to admit he made a major mistake and folks at his level don't like doing that.
Rule #1 of message board, never admit that you have no insider knowledge.****

ETA: Here is the honest way to make people assume you might know something: "Based on the information at my disposal I think that...". Let the reader assume what that means.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Don’t believe everything you hear on a free sports talk radio on a slow Friday.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Him firing 1st year assistants is in essence saying "I 17d up and didn't do my due diligence in evaluating these guys". In this instance the DC even worked under Arnett last year so what does that say especially?

I think the biggest error made was not in some way at least discussing that this was an interim evaluation for him and structuring the contract accordingly. (this assumes it wasn't discussed) Given the circumstances (new, young, 1st time HC in the SEC w/ NO HC EXPERIENCE and the time frame) to say that it would be used against us in recruiting if he wasn't given a long term contract is a weak argument in this case. It wouldn't be saying he wouldn't be given a long term one, it would simple be saying it would be evaluated at the end of this year. As a new recruit that isn't a total turn off especially now that its as easy as taking a morning dump to transfer elsewhere. Instead as it stands, we either pony up the buyout and go through the search or are stuck w/ 'this' (whatever 'this' is) for another year including another recruiting year, w/ recruits knowing he is on the hot seat........
His contract is absolutely set up as an interim deal. $3MM/yr with half guaranteed. That’s why his buyout is on $4.5MM. Has to be the easiest SEC HC contract to get out of.

Arnett wasn’t Selmon’s hire. I don’t think he’ll have any problem letting him go if we don’t win 6.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
That will be STRIKE TWO against Zac Selmon.

I mean, who is going to wanna sign up to work for Arnett at this point? Who would wanna transfer here? Who would want to stay another year? Who would wanna buy season tickets?
Anyone who marks Lemonis as a strike against Selmon is delusional. No way a new AD, 3 months into his tenure fires the ONLY Coach to lead their school to a Natty. Selmon literally COULDN’T fire Lemonis. I guarantee he’s set expectations and Lemonis will be gone if this season doesn’t go well.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
If you fire both coordinators, you are telling the world that Arnett is a lame-duck next year. Good Luck hiring quality coordinators under those circumstances. That will get you another run with Ron Cooper or Wesley McGriff as DC.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Mr. Sometimes a State fan, but moreso a LaneTrain groupie led the #StartMikeWright movement since early in the season, now he’s crediting Will’s injury to not giving us much a chance this weekend… WTF Sometimer?? Are we to forget what you were saying all morning, everyday till after Wrights first start? Nah, it’s just Beau being Beau. Reminds me of C34 so much….sometimes.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Not a big fan of Bo, but when he's spouting info like this, he knows something. Better prepare thyself for another year of Arnett.

Reactions: Shane of Pisgah

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Not a big fan of Bo, but when he's spouting info like this, he knows something. Better prepare thyself for another year of Arnett.
I think he's just covering all his bases. I.E. he doesn't want to take a chance and burn any bridges in the case Arnett stays, if he goes then it's on to kissing the next staff's azz to keep you connections. Wash, rinse, repeat.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Genuinely curious - did arnett hire the coordinators or were they hired “for him”?
Oh that dubmass did it himself. It should have been done for him

I know the whole drill about ‘anything happens in the egg bowl’ but you will drill us this year

• Haha
Reactions: Msdeltareb

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bo knows nothing. But he’s probably right this time.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Mr. Sometimes a State fan, but moreso a LaneTrain groupie led the #StartMikeWright movement since early in the season, now he’s crediting Will’s injury to not giving us much a chance this weekend… WTF Sometimer?? Are we to forget what you were saying all morning, everyday till after Wrights first start? Nah, it’s just Beau being Beau. Reminds me of C34 so much….sometimes.
Coffee34 is the content creator for Bo's program.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login