Bob Carskadon’s Guide to Tampa

Bob Carskadon

Dec 2, 2018
*taps mic* Is this thing on?

Hi, all. It's later than I had meant to share it, but for those of you coming to town for the game, hopefully there are some helpful ideas on things to do and where to go while you're here. I can hardly explain how excited I am to have MSU coming to town (even if it took me a second to realize that ReliaQuest is the new Outback). If anyone has any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask here or shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Can't wait for the game, and especially can't wait see friendly faces and be hugging Bulldog necks all weekend. Hail State!

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

Hi, all. It's later than I had meant to share it, but for those of you coming to town for the game, hopefully there are some helpful ideas on things to do and where to go while you're here. I can hardly explain how excited I am to have MSU coming to town (even if it took me a second to realize that ReliaQuest is the new Outback). If anyone has any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask here or shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Can't wait for the game, and especially can't wait see friendly faces and be hugging Bulldog necks all weekend. Hail State!
Can you put these restaurants in like a top 40 format?

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Go to the BEST steal house in USA being Charley’s Steak House!! They slow cook steaks over pecan wood and u can about cut them with a fork.
Call or email them this week for reservations way before u get to town.
Make reservation for 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00.
Blue jeans and ball caps are accepted.
#YouWillNotBeDisappointed

Reactions: Bob Carskadon

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

Is there a good spot with a balcony for viewing that you recommend to watch the Reliaquest Bowl parade in Ybor City on NYE?

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009

Gonna go out on a limb here and Assume that you’ll be the one in a classic light blue polo and khaki’s.

Bob Carskadon

Dec 2, 2018
Is there a good spot with a balcony for viewing that you recommend to watch the Reliaquest Bowl parade in Ybor City on NYE?
Conveniently, a couple of the places I mentioned in the story are on what appears to be the parade route. Zydeco Brew Werks is one of my favorites in Ybor and is right in the middle of the action. Columbia is right there, as well. Carmine's Italian has balconies overlooking the street, as well. I can't figure out from the bowl website *exactly* where the parade and pep rally are, but somewhere in the area around Zydeco looks about right, and there's plenty to choose from in there. They're New Orleans style, full bar and restaurant, brew their own beer, definitely a good time.

If it's father west by Ybor Centro, try Ybor City Tap House. Tampa Bay Brewing Company overlooks Ybor Centro and has decent beer, good food. White Lie to the east and Copper Shaker to the west are good spots. Now that I'm looking at it, this Ybor Centro area may the "pep rally" location after the parade.

Bob Carskadon

Dec 2, 2018
Best Titty bars Bobby C?
This marks the return of Uncomfortable Bob. Truthfully, I have no idea. Only advice I have is to only go to the ones in Tampa, not at the beaches or in St. Pete.

Update: a local friend says Penthouse and Doll House are the best choices. She also recommends the steak at Scores (seriously).

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
This marks the return of Uncomfortable Bob. Truthfully, I have no idea. Only advice I have is to only go to the ones in Tampa, not at the beaches or in St. Pete.

Update: a local friend says Penthouse and Doll House are the best choices. She also recommends the steak at Scores (seriously).
Does “she” work at either establishment? If so, pics please!

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Does she know Hugh?

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
@bobcarskadon

ABC:

We’re staying in St. Pete so thanks for the detailed recs there. Sorry if I scanned past it, but any good recs in St Pete for NYE for two 50-yr old dads and three teenage boys (13-19)?…

Bob Carskadon

Dec 2, 2018
@bobcarskadon

ABC:

We’re staying in St. Pete so thanks for the detailed recs there. Sorry if I scanned past it, but any good recs in St Pete for NYE for two 50-yr old dads and three teenage boys (13-19)?…
Glad you're staying in St. Pete! You'll love it. For NYE with teenagers, I'd probably recommend the St. Pete Pier. Beautiful new facility downtown, fireworks at midnight, party starts at 8 pm with food trucks, games, bars for the dads, DJs playing. It'll get crowded later, so get there early if you go. Pier is worth a stroll even if you don't go Saturday. And the entire downtown waterfront has views of the fireworks - it'll be lined full of people.

During the day, 3 Daughters Brewing is a good family-friendly brewery. Huge tasting room and outdoor seating area, live music from 2-6, lots of games (cornhole, big jenga, big connect four, a full arcade, board games), a really good food menu, big Christmas village setup, NA drinks, and very good beer. Depending where you're staying, look up "SunRunner" if it's not an easy walk - free rapid bus transit that has a drop off one block from 3 Daughters and loops to downtown as well as the beaches.

Par Bar can be a fun-for-all-ages thing with games on TVs, mini golf, food and drink, plus it's Bulldog-owned.

please feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or want more thoughts on restaurants/bars/activities while you're here.

For anyone coming in with younger kids (younger than teenagers), there's also a free kids New Year's Eve party by the water in Tampa at Armature Works from 11 am - 3 pm with face painting, magician shows, games, food trucks, etc. May be a good spot for before the bowl parade in Ybor.

Reactions: wrapit and woozman
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login