Bookie Watson named top LB of his Senior Bowl team

patdog

May 28, 2007
He may not have the measurables other players do, but he just makes plays on the field. A lot of the hyped players don't always do that as well.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He may not have the measurables other players do, but he just makes plays on the field. A lot of the hyped players don't always do that as well.
I’d have to find it but there was a clip of Steve Smith talking about NFL scouting while they were discussing Brock Purdy and I think it also fits with people like Bookie and even Dak. Basically he said scouts today are too lazy to truly evaluate talent and they’re too scared to take a look at somebody who doesn’t fit the box of the ideal player.

ETA- Found it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’d have to find it but there was a clip of Steve Smith talking about NFL scouting while they were discussing Brock Purdy and I think it also fits with people like Bookie and even Dak. Basically he said scouts today are too lazy to truly evaluate talent and they’re too scared to take a look at somebody who doesn’t fit the box of the ideal player.

ETA- Found it.

He’s 100% right. Measurable do matter. But they can never matter as much as evaluating on field production.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He’s 100% right. Measurable do matter. But they can never matter as much as evaluating on field production.
I think it’s a little more specific than on the field production.

lot of great high school players that can’t play in college even they they had great stats. Even record setting stats.

But you can find guys who don’t fit the mold bc different things.

for instance
OL - good foot work, strength, toughness, hustle, etc
LB - good instincts, ability to read plays, reaction time, ability to not get blocked
RB - good vision, quickness vs top end speed

Take montrell Connor for instance who went to usc and then came here. Looked the part. Had good speed for his size. Wasn’t very good though.

Robert Elliot? Same

Dillon Day? Not highly recruited but a damn good olineman for us. You could see his high school videos he had it. Tough. Could move. Hustled. Coachable.

patdog

May 28, 2007

lot of great high school players that can’t play in college even they they had great stats. Even record setting stats.

for instance
LB - good instincts, ability to read plays, reaction time, ability to not get blocked

Take montrell Connor for instance who went to usc and then came here. Looked the part. Had good speed for his size. Wasn’t very good though.

Robert Elliot? Same

Dillon Day? Not highly recruited but a damn good olineman for us. You could see his high school videos he had it. Tough. Could move. Hustled. Coachable.
All very good points. It’s not just production, but projecting that production to the next level.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
All very good points. It’s not just production, but projecting that production to the next level.
Correct. I mean I agree with your original point and Steve Smiths. Just being a little more specific about it.

Jamar Russell for example. No way he should have been taken so early in the draft.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

for instance

Robert Elliot? Same

You need a team full of guys like this with one or two superstars sprinkled among them to have a very good team. Players like this make up the most of the best teams in the NFL.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login