Boston College head coach leaves to take Green Bay D Coordinator job.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We (and other small resource schools) are going to have to find a way to moneyball this thing. Simply trying to 'keep up' will net us nothing.
We used to moneyball it. Find the kids everyone is overlooking that don’t have high rankings. But the portal has really hurt that. One- you already have a good idea of who is good bc they actually played CFB. Two- we develop kids and then have to work our *** off to hold them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We used to moneyball it. Find the kids everyone is overlooking that don’t have high rankings. But the portal has really hurt that. One- you already have a good idea of who is good bc they actually played CFB. Two- we develop kids and then have to work our *** off to hold them.
I know, well, at least during Mullen. We finally figured out a good system for us, and they change it. But now we're going to have to innovate again.

That is why the hire of Leach and a niche offense was so important. And also, why his death is making me think MSU football is just cursed, bottom line.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
To bring sanity back, immediate eligibility upon transfer needs to be done away. Still let the player transfer, be on scholarship, sign NIL, etc., just has to sit out a year.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I’d love to see the transfer rule amended to allow a player to enter the portal and transfer once every 2 years unless there are mitigating circumstances. That way when they transfer out they are possibly one and done for team 2 if they are a top tier player. If they leave for the draft after a year, the receiving team forfeits something for the remaining year of that 2 year period (roster spot or something, can’t say scholarship anymore because those have no real value under the current system).

Will never happen, but would add some sort risk vs. reward analysis that the big boys would need to consider and create opportunity for the smaller guys willing to gamble on a one and done, and the 2 year commitment would seem to add some stability.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’d love to see the transfer rule amended to allow a player to enter the portal and transfer once every 2 years unless there are mitigating circumstances. That way when they transfer out they are possibly one and done for team 2 if they are a top tier player. If they leave for the draft after a year, the receiving team forfeits something for the remaining year of that 2 year period (roster spot or something, can’t say scholarship anymore because those have no real value under the current system).

Will never happen, but would add some sort risk vs. reward analysis that the big boys would need to consider and create opportunity for the smaller guys willing to gamble on a one and done, and the 2 year commitment would seem to add some stability.
The answer is simpler. Pay the players direct salaries under contract. If your contract expires, you can transfer anywhere. If you want to transfer out while still under contract, the 2 schools can negotiate a transfer fee. If a player wants the freedom to transfer, he can sign a 1-year contract. If he wants the security of never being cut, he can sign a 4-year contract. Or he could sign a 2- or 3-year contract for a little of both. But as a practical matter, he can always transfer out if he really wants to. Few schools would keep a player who really doesn't want to be there. But if he's under contract, the school would be compensated.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To bring sanity back, immediate eligibility upon transfer needs to be done away. Still let the player transfer, be on scholarship, sign NIL, etc., just has to sit out a year.
Agree, but just know that this hurts MSU even further. Especially if we aren't doing anything 'niche' where we can develop lesser players.

NIL is what truly hurts us.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The answer is simpler. Pay the players direct salaries under contract. If your contract expires, you can transfer anywhere. If you want to transfer out while still under contract, the 2 schools can negotiate a transfer fee. If a player wants the freedom to transfer, he can sign a 1-year contract. If he wants the security of never being cut, he can sign a 4-year contract. Or he could sign a 2- or 3-year contract for a little of both. But as a practical matter, he can always transfer out if he really wants to. Few schools would keep a player who really doesn't want to be there. But if he's under contract, the school would be compensated.
I still don't think this is possible. I don't think the schools will ever be considered employers, nor do I think the collectives will ever be tied to the school. No matter how many lawsuits there are, I don't think they'll ever get this passed.

Even if they break away.....they are still schools, with a lot of restrictions.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We (and other small resource schools) are going to have to find a way to moneyball this thing. Simply trying to 'keep up' will net us nothing.
I still say the best strategy for schools like us would be to build towards 1-2 big years. Stockpile money for a couple of years while trying to build a core team, then spend big on a handful of difference makers for 1-2 years.

It'll never happen because college teams aren't managed the same way as pro teams. Fans would want the coach fired after a 4-8 "rebuilding" season. College is all about winning now or we'll move on to the next guy. I think we'd have a lot better chance at making a postseason run if we could implement something like a 5-year plan where you focus on building towards 2 great years out of 5. But fans won't have the patience to deal with a couple of losing seasons in the process.

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next decade. But it sucks that this is what college sports has turned into.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Then players would need lawyers. Schools and NILs would need more lawyers. You’d have the Bamas of the world keeping players under contract just to keep them from going somewhere else or only willing to release them to a non-threat.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Except it’s not going away. It’s going the opposite direction. As of that latest court ruling, the NCAA can no longer even restrict the portal windows at all, unless they can somehow get that ruling overturned.

We find some under the radar recruit at MSU, and he blows up in Week 1. Has another good showing Week 2 against an SEC team. We play Alabama week 3, and it’s before their enrollment cutoff in mid-September. Alabama calls the kid with a great deal. Bam. Kid is playing for us one week and against us the next. That’s where this shìt’s headed. It will happen.

College football is simply dead. It no longer exists. We’re not going to be competing at any sort of Top 20 level within 5 years…..and it blows my mind how anyone can get themselves to care so much that we do in this current playing field. There’s no honor, pride, or emotional attachment to be derived from just winning a fundraising competition.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Best solution ive heard is:

1) Players get their NIL or whatever you want to call it. It gets put into a trust. There is a min. wage that players recieve from that trust to live on. The rest stays in the trust. That the player recieves his trust after he either graduates or gets drafted into the NFL

2) If player decides to leave, etc, without graduating or going to the NFL -- he forfeits all money thats in that trust

This would at the very least make it tough for players to transfer out for 1 season and would hinder the jumping around from spot to spot..

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
As of that latest court ruling, the NCAA can no longer even restrict the portal windows at all, unless they can somehow get that ruling overturned.
Did the ruling mention immediately eligibility? I'm not advocating limiting their ability to transfer, be on scholly or get NIL funds, I advocating doing away with immediate eligibility to play in games.

If we continue with down the current path, where does it end? What about in season transfers and immediate eligibility? I can see Prime, Freeze or Lame doing something like that.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Chip Kelly interviewed twice to be the offensive coordinator for the Raiders. They went with Kingsbury but it’s yet another head coach in college taking a coordinator position in the NFL

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I know, well, at least during Mullen. We finally figured out a good system for us, and they change it. But now we're going to have to innovate again.

That is why the hire of Leach and a niche offense was so important. And also, why his death is making me think MSU football is just cursed, bottom line.
Leach's offense was as antiquated as the wishbone by the time we hired him. Don't pretend we were an offensive juggernaut when he was here, because we were NOT. What Mullen hit upon, and with my understanding he leaned a lot on JWS at first, was what worked with the type of Mississippi kids, and beyond, that we can land on a regular basis. THAT is what it takes to win at MSU.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
THIS is the REAL answer. The Alabamas and Georgias will never allow it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Then players would need lawyers. Schools and NILs would need more lawyers. You’d have the Bamas of the world keeping players under contract just to keep them from going somewhere else or only willing to release them to a non-threat.
But if they want to poach YOUR guys, they have to pay. If you want college athletes to be pros, then treat them like pros are everywhere.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach's offense was as antiquated as the wishbone by the time we hired him. Don't pretend we were an offensive juggernaut when he was here, because we were NOT. What Mullen hit upon, and with my understanding he leaned a lot on JWS at first, was what worked with the type of Mississippi kids, and beyond, that we can land on a regular basis. THAT is what it takes to win at MSU.
We would have been. Leachs track record means more than your opinion. Braden Locke was probably going to be the QB that realized the potential.

It has always taken Leach 3-4 years to build. And he was well ahead of schedule here because Moorhead had started the transition to a passing offense and we had Rogers, who could run the Air Raid.

That’s the facts my friend, no matter how much you prematurely judged Leach. You sound like those idiots who wanted Cohen fired at the beginning of his baseball tenure.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We would have been. Leachs track record means more than your opinion. Braden Locke was probably going to be the QB that realized the potential.

It has always taken Leach 3-4 years to build. And he was well ahead of schedule here because Moorhead had started the transition to a passing offense and we had Rogers, who could run the Air Raid.

That’s the facts my friend, no matter how much you prematurely judged Leach. You sound like those idiots who wanted Cohen fired at the beginning of his baseball tenure.
But it didn't happen. It sucks but it is what it is. I'm deathly afraid it may turn out to be the biggest mistake we have made in a football history littered with mistakes. Nobody runs what Leach did anymore. Kind of like nobody runs Emory Bellard's wishbone anymore. It worked like a charm, till it didn't.

As for Cohen, he was a good baseball coach. Now if we could have fired him at the beginning of his tenure as AD....that would have been good. Thank you Auburn!

Oh, and Moorhead ran an RPO, that is NOT a passing offense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But it didn't happen. It sucks but it is what it is. I'm deathly afraid it may turn out to be the biggest mistake we have made in a football history littered with mistakes. Nobody runs what Leach did anymore. Kind of like nobody runs Emory Bellard's wishbone anymore. It worked like a charm, till it didn't.

As for Cohen, he was a good baseball coach. Now if we could have fired him at the beginning of his tenure as AD....that would have been good. Thank you Auburn!

Oh, and Moorhead ran an RPO, that is NOT a passing offense.
1706880916688.jpeg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not really.

The Wishbone and Spread offenses are variants of the Option offenses that have been in vogue since the days of Pop Warner.

Mississippi has always been stuck in the 19th century.

Leach at least wanted to get us one century further.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not really.

The Wishbone and Spread offenses are variants of the Option offenses that have been in vogue since the days of Pop Warner.

Mississippi has always been stuck in the 19th century.

Leach at least wanted to get us one century further.
What do you think the pure air raid is? It's very much an option offense. It just uses the short forward pass and the receivers rather than the pitch and hand off and the backs. It's basically the wishbone, by other means. It's a dinosaur.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What do you think the pure air raid is? It's very much an option offense. It just uses the short forward pass and the receivers rather than the pitch and hand off and the backs. It's basically the wishbone, by other means. It's a dinosaur.
If 1996 is a dinosaur, then sure. But who cares if it worked? And it did, against teams with similar and better talent than us. It didn't work against teams that had significantly better talent, what a shocker. Same for every good MSU coach in history.

I don't disagree that what Mullen did fit MSU players that we could recruit. But what Leach proved is that he could actually go get the QB and WR talent to run the Air Raid. So your point is again, moot.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
But what Leach proved is that he could actually go get the QB and WR talent to run the Air Raid. So your point is again, moot.
Leach had 1 QB the entire time he was here, Will Rogers. Costello (a grad transfer not a recruit) made some early season cameo appearances but Will was playing by game 3 and 4. Will committed to MSU in 2018 (look it up on his hailstate.com bio) long before Leach was here. The other QBs Leach signed wore ball caps and carried clipboards and never saw the field so to say he recruited "QB talent to run the Air Raid" wasn't proven.

As for "WR talent" that's a reeeeeal stretch. We had some guys that specialized in running 3-8 yard routes and we had to hopethey could break some tackles for YAC but its a stretch to say that's "WR talent" when compared to the receivers other teams have.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach had 1 QB the entire time he was here, Will Rogers. Costello (a grad transfer not a recruit) made some early season cameo appearances but Will was playing by game 3 and 4. Will committed to MSU in 2018 (look it up on his hailstate.com bio) long before Leach was here. The other QBs Leach signed wore ball caps and carried clipboards and never saw the field so to say he recruited "QB talent to run the Air Raid" wasn't proven.

As for "WR talent" that's a reeeeeal stretch. We had some guys that specialized in running 3-8 yard routes and we had to hopethey could break some tackles for YAC but its a stretch to say that's "WR talent" when compared to the receivers other teams have.
Costello could have been good, and had we not had COVID, who knows how that year turns out. Rogers was very average, even in the Air Raid, but he got the job done, in the early years. These guys were signed in Leach's first class.

Robertson was not good, but he had the accolades and the offers, and chose us.

Locke was going to be very good and was the Air** Apparent(starting QB at Wisconsin last year).

Parson, who knows, we will see. He had accolades and offers too.

Those are better QBs than we've ever signed, as a collective group. And our WR talent over the past few years is some of the best we've ever had, also as a collective group. I really don't see how these things are debatable.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It involves more people and opens up the field more.

It’s certainly not futuristic. After all, Leach said the setup was simple.

If the option is the dinosaur, then the air raid is its evolutionary descendant— the bird.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s certainly not futuristic. After all, Leach said the setup was simple.
I think we might be running out of futuristic different offenses to run. I mean we have tempo, spreads, RPO, etc. Not sure what else we can do. How many ways can you scheme up 11 guys?

That's why I think a bigger part of coaching is teaching fundamentals and figuring out to get folks to play confidently. That's why it sucks that we lost a decade of the most experienced Leach. And if this deal is now just going to revolve around NIL and crootin, I say 17 it and invest in basketball/baseball.

That's where I'm at.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Those are better QBs than we've ever signed

our WR talent over the past few years is some of the best we've ever had, I really don't see how these things are debatable.
That's a lot of "woulda, shoulda ,coulda, didn't" for the QB's, they didn't prove anything.

You've got to be kidding about WR. Number of catches doesn't prove crap when you're running short quick routes. How much talent does it take to run a 3yd route? Go look at TD's and yardage stats against the rest of the conference "WR talent" and get back to us.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's a lot of "woulda, shoulda ,coulda, didn't" for the QB's, they didn't prove anything.

You've got to be kidding about WR. Number of catches doesn't prove crap when you're running short quick routes. How much talent does it take to run a 3yd route? Go look at TD's and yardage stats against the rest of the conference "WR talent" and get back to us.
"us". How bout you (and maybe a few other dubmasses).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login