Boston places to eat

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Where ya got? I am going to be staying at the Parker House soon, and won't have a car. So hopefully y'all know some good places close by.

Also, what's the homeless junkie situation there like?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I was there recently, but was at the Seaport and took Uber's so not much help for you walking-distance wise. If you do go to the Seaport, Row 34 was some of the best fresh seafood I've had. If you're into art, the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is A+.

I didn't see any more homeless junkies than in any other city but if you're looking to get lucky probably find some.*

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Just came back from Boston. Recommend the original Boston Crème Pie at the Parker House. Their Clam Chowder was good too. I liked the Isabella in the north end.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Where ya got? I am going to be staying at the Parker House soon, and won't have a car. So hopefully y'all know some good places close by.

We went for the UMASS game and walked everywhere (11 miles one day) and took the T when a storm popped up so not having a car isn’t a huge deal. The T seemed way safer than Marta to me even at night.
Mama Maria’s on the North end is the best Bolognese I have ever had.
Warren Tavern is cool as hell but it is in Charlestown so it’s a little hike or an Uber.
Legal Seafood was actually a great experience even though it’s probably a tourist trap.
For a quick bite, we loved Regina Pizzaria as well. It’s a local chain now, but the one on the North End is the original and it was very good.
Didn’t really have any issues with the homeless. They were there but most of them were just sitting with funny signs. Not like Austin/New Orleans. It may have changed since then. I’m not much for the north and Yankees in general, but I loved that town and the people were awesome that we met.

Reactions: dorndawg

rem101

Jan 22, 2008

That's an easy walk to the north end. Plenty of Italian restaurants to choose from. Bricco and Trattoria II Panino are two we've enjoyed.

When I've been there wasn't much of a homeless issue.

chefdawg

Aug 23, 2012

Neptune for lobster roll. Row 34 for oysters. Toro for tapas. Saltie Girl or Ivory Pearl for great seafood. Bar Enza for the 100 layer lasagna. Cusser’s for a roast beef sammich. Coppa for Italian sammiches and snacks. O Ya for “break the bank” sushi. Prezza for pasta. Brewer’s Fork for beer and pizza.

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
I was there 2 weeks ago. We stayed a little south in a Brownstone (Copley House) but walked up to the Boston Public Market, lunch there was good. Dinner in little Italy at Ciao Roma, it was fantastic. Breakfast at Tatte, Cask n Flagon (across from Fenway) , Boston Burger and Not your average Joe. All were good meals. We didn't do seafood in Boston, as we went to Newport and Block Island and pretty much ate nothing but seafood there.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Find a local italian place. Don't eat their oysters anywhere there. They suck.
Half Shell Oyster house does them better.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just got back from Boston yesterday. We ate at Reel House near the airport, Row 34 near MIT, and found a good Texas style BBQ place on the water in Portsmouth NH. All were excellent. But there are hundreds of excellent restaurants in Boston. If you just use Yelp and find one that’s convenient & not outrageously expensive, you should be fine.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get you a couple loaves of bread, couple half gallons of milk, bologna and cheese with some mayo thrown in at the Park Luncheonette.

IYKYK

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Obviously Cheers, additionally Regina's Pizza on Thacher Street (both are very popular and the later in the day the longer the line) and a cannoli from Mikes (there's one near Regina's). Uber prices are all over the map, when we were there on Saturday, they were $30/$40 dollars for a few miles, on Sunday the same ride was $10. (this was late June) High demand prices I guess. The buses/trains are very easy to use.

Download the City Mapper app to use public transit.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

The North End is an easy walk from your location. One restaurant we like there is called Trattoria Il Panino. After you eat you can get a dessert at Mikes Pastry (cash only) or Modern and just walk around. You'll probably run into some history.

Best lobster roll: Tie between Neptune Oyster in North End (small, you'll likely wait) and Salty Girl near Copley Square (take the T.) Wherever you go, get them warm with butter rather than cold with mayo. Honorable mention for best lobster roll - James Hook & Co. which is somewhat walkable from where you are.

Boston is really walkable. And if it's a little far, take the T. It's simple, cheap, and much cleaner than New York.

Not a big homeless issue in Boston compared to many major cities. It's relatively clean and safe.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Best lobster roll: Tie between Neptune Oyster in North End (small, you'll likely wait) and Salty Girl near Copley Square (take the T.) Wherever you go, get them warm with butter rather than cold with mayo. Honorable mention for best lobster roll - James Hook & Co. which is somewhat walkable from where you are.
The one thing I didn't get was a good lobster roll.
Boston is really walkable. And if it's a little far, take the T. It's simple, cheap, and much cleaner than New York.

Not a big homeless issue in Boston compared to many major cities. It's relatively clean and safe.
Concur, no homeless and very few bums (at least in the tourist areas), clean and safe.

Reactions: Faustdog

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was there recently, but was at the Seaport and took Uber's so not much help for you walking-distance wise. If you do go to the Seaport, Row 34 was some of the best fresh seafood I've had. If you're into art, the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is A+.

I didn't see any more homeless junkies than in any other city but if you're looking to get lucky probably find some.*
Won't be any time for sight seeing. It's a work trip. I will be spending my whole days in meetings.I

I also didn't want to accidentally stumble into the Boston version of Kensington Ave. in Philly

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Do they have a Bucees in Bos-ton?

Reactions: patdog

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I was there 20 years ago w inlaws and went to Union Oyster House. I think it's the oldest restaurant in America? Excellent seafood, and I never realized scallops could be so good.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Obviously Cheers, additionally Regina's Pizza on Thacher Street (both are very popular and the later in the day the longer the line) and a cannoli from Mikes (there's one near Regina's). Uber prices are all over the map, when we were there on Saturday, they were $30/$40 dollars for a few miles, on Sunday the same ride was $10. (this was late June) High demand prices I guess. The buses/trains are very easy to use.

Download the City Mapper app to use public transit.
Forgot to add Bell in Hand, the oldest Tavern in the US, and Sam Adams Tap Room.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I've only been there once. We were there for a few days before a cruise. We ate at Legal Seafood one night. It was ok. We were staying at the Hyatt Harborside by the airport. The restaurant there was surprisingly good. The chowder was amazing. We had nice weather, so we ate outside on their patio. I know there is better food in Boston, but that view across the harbor from the patio would be hard to beat, especially at night. I enjoyed the town and surroundings. The history geek in me had a GREAT time.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I've only been there once. We were there for a few days before a cruise. We ate at Legal Seafood one night. It was ok. We were staying at the Hyatt Harborside by the airport. The restaurant there was surprisingly good. The chowder was amazing. We had nice weather, so we ate outside on their patio. I know there is better food in Boston, but that view across the harbor from the patio would be hard to beat, especially at night. I enjoyed the town and surroundings. The history geek in me had a GREAT time.
View is important. I once dined with my girlfriend at Ed's Seafood Shed on the causeway over Mobile Bay. Our dinner was illuminated by the flame of a burning wrecked 18 wheeler on the I-10 bridge just south of us.

Reactions: L4Dawg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Forgot to add Bell in Hand, the oldest Tavern in the US, and Sam Adams Tap Room.
Had a drink at Bell in Hand several years ago. It was pretty good. I’d recommend more for the history than the actual bar. Had a drink at Saloon on Davis Square near Tufts University Saturday night. Really cool underground bar. Definitely recommend it.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login