Bowl idea: Players in last year of eligibility don't play

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
I know the idea is ludricous and will never happen. But it's kinda fun to think about. Make all bowls except playoffs a preview of next year. Players in their last year of eligibility could attend the bowl, have a good time, and coach their replacements or whatever. It would solve the opt out controversy. I know some players in their last year of eligibility are wanting to up their draft stock but they've had 12 games to do so.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I know the idea is ludricous and will never happen. But it's kinda fun to think about. Make all bowls except playoffs a preview of next year. Players in their last year of eligibility could attend the bowl, have a good time, and coach their replacements or whatever. It would solve the opt out controversy. I know some players in their last year of eligibility are wanting to up their draft stock but they've had 12 games to do so.

I suspect the 95% of players who aren't expecting to be drafted will have interest in playing their last game.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Better idea- instead of filling the pockets of old bowl execs that dont need the money, tell the winning team they will be photographed for the next years marketing materials for $10k per player. Is that gonna get a Cross to play? No but it would likely make the games more meaningfull

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Better idea- instead of filling the pockets of old bowl execs that dont need the money, tell the winning team they will be photographed for the next years marketing materials for $10k per player. Is that gonna get a Cross to play? No but it would likely make the games more meaningfull
Or just expand the playoffs and forget the traditional bowl structure. A 16-teamer would yield 15 bowl games, and 24-teamer yields 23. Most other teams would likely start turning down the invites after that.

I mean this is already going to happen so it's really a moot point.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I just dont see bowls going away any time soon unless a lot of teams start declining them. And this year 80+ teams accepted bids.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know if you make it a rule. But old coaches and old fans (like me) just need to view the practice and game as a winter session of spring practice. It sucks. BUt the horse has left the barn regarding the value of a bowl game.

I say expand the playoffs to 16 teams to keep, at least, those teams engage. Then let the rest play bowl games.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
To add to this, I wish they would make the All-Star games SEC vs Big 10 or other conference affiliation. Pay the winning team players $10K and the losing team players $5K. Let the seniors get ready for this and the NFL. Find old SEC/Big 10 coaches to coach. I think this would definitely drum up more support than the current all star games.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The bowls aren't going anywhere. ESPN owns most of the minor bowls and they get good cheap programming for all the "dead" weeknights from mid December through early January.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The bowls aren't going anywhere. ESPN owns most of the minor bowls and they get good cheap programming for all the "dead" weeknights from mid December through early January.
And I’m glad they do. I don’t understand people that want less college football games.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Yeah, I'm not in favor of doing away with bowl games. Have a 24 team playoff which would take 23 of the bowl games. Whatever other bowls can survive will continue to be played and I would imagine fans of teams in those bowl games won't care much if players opt out.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I didn't for a long time, but I do now, because I'm one of them. I used to watch every last one of them until there became so many games and therefore many more teams. Looking down the list of this years games I have no interest whatsoever in watching Toledo, Northern IL, S Carolina St, UTEP, Fresno St, Eastern MI, Liberty, Utah St, Oregon St, Marshall, Old Dominion, Kent St, UTSA, Miami of Ohio, Ball St, GA St, or Central MI. Then, you start getting the best players opting out and that adds even less interest for me. Like those players, I'm opting out of a lot of the bowl games myself

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I just dont see bowls going away any time soon unless a lot of teams start declining them. And this year 80+ teams accepted bids.
That's fine but then we may as well quit talking about opt outs, and treat them for what they are - exhibitions and hype for the following year. Also don't need to make a big deal out of whether we win or lose as far as how it relates to that current year - and instead, more of a harbinger of things to come the following year.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Right. It’s no different than basketball. The NIT didn’t up and disappear when the tourney expanded to 64 teams. In fact, a whole new pointless postseason tournament came about in addition to the NIT.

As long as there is something to sell, folks are going to try and sell it. The 6-win requirement is already practically out the window whenever it needs to be to help the bowls fill slots. You’re going to see it go out the window permanently so there can be even more bowl games before you ever see a reduction.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The playoff is not going to 16 teams.
It will eventually. The only thing in the way of it now is this archaic bowl system.

Every single division of NCAA athletics has a playoff with 20% or more of the schools making it, so it really should be more like 24 teams in it.

In this era of rapid change, they should rip the bandaid off and get it done now. The 4-team playoff has been a failure.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I may be in the minority, but I feel like people are trying to fix a problem that’s not really much of a problem in the grand scheme of things.

I can’t imagine most teams having any more than 2-4 possible opt outs in an average year, and while I’d obviously rather see the stars play, I understand the decision of kids that are a few months away from making more money than most of us have ever dreamed of. It also gives fans a chance to see a glimpse of the next men up for next year

I don’t have anything against some kind of incentive, but I don’t think there’s a need to revamp an entire system over this

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is a good idea except for the number of games.

If we are talking player safety so much, I don’t see how you can add 4 games to a 12 game season.

Yes I know how long nfl seasons are. But you are adding games in college that could affect nfl longevity.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is a good idea except for the number of games.

If we are talking player safety so much, I don’t see how you can add 4 games to a 12 game season.

Yes I know how long nfl seasons are. But you are adding games in college that could affect nfl longevity.
Agree, and I've long been an advocate of going back to an 11-game season, and then getting rid of the conference championship. People talk about the money from the conference championship, but it would pale in comparison to a bigger playoff.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I may be in the minority, but I feel like people are trying to fix a problem that’s not really much of a problem in the grand scheme of things.

I can’t imagine most teams having any more than 2-4 possible opt outs in an average year, and while I’d obviously rather see the stars play, I understand the decision of kids that are a few months away from making more money than most of us have ever dreamed of. It also gives fans a chance to see a glimpse of the next men up for next year

I don’t have anything against some kind of incentive, but I don’t think there’s a need to revamp an entire system over this
You're probably right, but I think the biggest thing is that we all know deep down that the bowls mean nothing anymore. It's just TV entertainment during the holidays. The players know this too, and a lot of people check out of their team if they are essentially eliminated from high level contention.

To me, expanding the playoff is the way to take this thing to the next level.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

100% against this. I want to win, even if it’s “just an exhibition game”. Also, too many late round guys depend on that last showcase.

Finally, you really want to rob the guys that want to play of their final game, especially those guys not making it to the next level?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login