Bowl Projections: post-Week 1

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Trend from the previous listing will be marked as ▲,▼, or -, if available. Due to SEC bowl tiers, some trends are subjective.

CBS: Las Vegas vs Washington -
CFN: Gator Bowl vs Miami ▲
SaturdayDownSouth: Gasparilla vs Coastal Carolina ▼
247Sports: Birmingham Bowl vs Rutgers -
Brett McMurphy: Texas Bowl vs TCU -
Sports Illustrated: Texas Bowl vs Kansas State -
College Sports Madness: Gasparilla Bowl vs Virginia Tech -
Schlabach: Birmingham Bowl vs Arizona-
Bonagura: Birmingham Bowl vs West Virginia-
SixPackSpeak: Sugar Bowl vs Texas (new)
USA Today: Las Vegas vs Oregon (new)
LWOS: Texas Bowl vs Texas (new)

Not yet available along with previous week's pick:
The Athletic: Liberty vs WVU
Athlon Sports: Birmingham Bowl vs Maryland
Bleacher Report: Liberty Bowl vs Kansas State
Sporting News: Armed Forces Bowl vs Navy

ESPN Insider and/or The Athletic updates appreciated.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Only bowl prediction that matters...

[TWEET]1566957639233331201[/TWEET]

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This season is a disappointment if the bowl game ends up being Liberty or Birmingham. Seems unlikely MSU would end up back in the Liberty though.

We need a nice FL bowl game.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I’d take that Gator Bowl game v Miami right now.
The Vegas Bowl v Washington would be something totally different and a nice matchup with a name PAC 12 team.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The date is interesting.. Dec. 17th.

Coming so close to the end of the season I wonder how the Egg Bowl will factor in my decision to go. Win in Oxford and I might be pumped enough to book a flight a week later after our destination is announced. Lose... and the opposite would be true.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Sounds fun to me. There are direct flights out to LV from Nashville and New Orleans on Southwest. Guessing you’d have to connect out of Memphis, Jackson and Birmingham.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
The bowl pecking order just so stagnant. Leads to the same teams playing in virtually the same bowls every year.

Good thing the 12 team playoff could alter this

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
It is ruining college football. Nobody but Bummer fans and Buckeyes want to see them in the NC game. Sad that the playing field is so tilted toward the New York Yankee like college teams.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
A Liberty Bowl prediction for us tells you the writer isn't paying attention.

It would take very unusual circumstances to put any SEC team in the same bowl two years running.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The bowl pecking order just so stagnant. Leads to the same teams playing in virtually the same bowls every year.

I think that was a major point of the "group of 6" set up. Aside from getting several of those bowls to up their payout, it also gives the SEC and bowls the ability to minimize the fatigue with a particular location. I think it has ended up not working that way because regionality still matters (doubt Duke Mayo bowl is interested in us), Texas bowl I think would prefer A&M, LSU, and Arkansas over us and while they might not want Missouri over us, the florida bowls probably want us over Missouri, which plays into it.

And the downside is that it makes falling past the Citrus bowl meh for most teams. If we go 9-3 or 7-5, we're likely in the group of 6 bowls, which I think kind of limits the end of season reward. Even though it would lock us in to the same bowl in back to back years sometimes, I think I'd rather Texas and Gator be a tier after Citrus, then maybe Las Vegas and Music City, then Duke and Liberty, then whatever else. Might need the Las Vegas bowl to be a higher tier bowl if they want people to travel for it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Allegiant! I like it. I think they're HQ'ed out of Las Vegas now that you mention it.

For the record, I'm not sure i've ever actually flown on that airline.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

I hope that the bowls simply go away after the playoff. I mean you've 11 games from the playoff alone. If they expand to 16, then 15. We don't need the rest.

Let the remaining teams get a jump start on recruiting or something.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login