Bracky Brett Comments and the reality of the NIL era

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
At a conference on the coast a couple of weeks ago Bracky Brett was speaking to a group of HS athletic directors and made the comment along the lines that MSU was using their NIL money primarily to keep current players not recruit new players like other schools. What's not clear is whether this is an intentional strategy or whether it is a necessity based on having limited funds available. I assume it is the latter. Anyway, if this is indeed the case we must be realistic with our expectations of attracting big name players out of the portal. Until something changes (NIL/Tranfer Portal/NIL funds) MSU will have to do what it has always done which is find ways to build the program while being at a disadvantage to most of the other schools in the SEC. I do think that the focus on recruiting MS and the 250 mile radius around Starkville plays into this strategy which reduces recruiting costs and in theory should help with roster stability. Also, as we have always tried to do we must continue to find players that have potential and coach them up. This will probably mean continuing to sign high three stars guys along with a few low 4 star guys. As far as the transfer portal we are probably going to have to mainly take a chance on guys who did well at smaller schools who maybe aren't as proven as guys who are coming from the bigger schools. While all of this is not ideal I think we have to be realistic in the current setting and do all we can as fans to support the team and university through giving/attendance and even social media. If you don't think that social media influences perception just look at the school in Oxford. The general perception of that school/town is much better than the actual reality. Also, when it comes to MSU the perception is worse than the reality. Much of this in my opinion has been because of the way supporters of the school view themselves on social media. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying at all that we need to start acting like the Rebels but I do believe we could do better at times discussing/representing/promoting what Starkville/MSU has to offer. Anyway, just some random thoughts based on what Brett said at the coast and how it should encourage us to do what we can to offset the challenges and perhaps make us stop and think before we criticize certain coaches/administrators as we understand the restrictions they are operating under. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Sounds about like what State would do. That’s the reason we will never get the Walker Howard’s of the world.
But what is the alternative IF the money isn't there? Once again, if indeed that is the problem then we will have to decide between a strategy of allowing 3 to 4 "good" players leave to get one really good prospect. I'm not sure what the answer is if indeed the problem is the money just isn't there to do both.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Sounds about like what State would do. That’s the reason we will never get the Walker Howard’s of the world.
Yep. 2 decades post LT and we still pinching pennies, clipping coupons and shopping at the Dollar Tree
But what is the alternative IF the money isn't there? Once again, if indeed that is the problem then we will have to decide between a strategy of allowing 3 to 4 "good" players leave to get one really good prospect. I'm not sure what the answer is if indeed the problem is the money just isn't there to do both.

SUN BELT — Here we come!

And as @Mr. Cook would say: Three wins is all I see.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
At a conference on the coast a couple of weeks ago Bracky Brett was speaking to a group of HS athletic directors and made the comment along the lines that MSU was using their NIL money primarily to keep current players not recruit new players like other schools. What's not clear is whether this is an intentional strategy or whether it is a necessity based on having limited funds available. I assume it is the latter. Anyway, if this is indeed the case we must be realistic with our expectations of attracting big name players out of the portal. Until something changes (NIL/Tranfer Portal/NIL funds) MSU will have to do what it has always done which is find ways to build the program while being at a disadvantage to most of the other schools in the SEC. I do think that the focus on recruiting MS and the 250 mile radius around Starkville plays into this strategy which reduces recruiting costs and in theory should help with roster stability. Also, as we have always tried to do we must continue to find players that have potential and coach them up. This will probably mean continuing to sign high three stars guys along with a few low 4 star guys. As far as the transfer portal we are probably going to have to mainly take a chance on guys who did well at smaller schools who maybe aren't as proven as guys who are coming from the bigger schools. While all of this is not ideal I think we have to be realistic in the current setting and do all we can as fans to support the team and university through giving/attendance and even social media. If you don't think that social media influences perception just look at the school in Oxford. The general perception of that school/town is much better than the actual reality. Also, when it comes to MSU the perception is worse than the reality. Much of this in my opinion has been because of the way supporters of the school view themselves on social media. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying at all that we need to start acting like the Rebels but I do believe we could do better at times discussing/representing/promoting what Starkville/MSU has to offer. Anyway, just some random thoughts based on what Brett said at the coast and how it should encourage us to do what we can to offset the challenges and perhaps make us stop and think before we criticize certain coaches/administrators as we understand the restrictions they are operating under. Thoughts?
Perception is reality, once again. Here in Louisville, KY, there is a large number of private high $chools* and they routinely have students attending ole miss. Nobody from any of these schools have had MSU on their radar. It's a systematic failure on MSU's part.

* High school tuition higher than MSU's

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
So what do you suggest? We aren't the US government, we can't spend money we don't have.
Find a good fundraiser to head up a push for funds from fans, businesses, and potential higher dollar funders. Some one smart and proven at this kind of work. Let them assemble a team of people under the University Pres and AD. It may already have started we might want a very visible head that is the kind of person who can sell maroon ice to Native Alaskan Indigenous Peoples.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He's right on the point of no one shites on the university/players/Starkville like MSU fans.

I'm convinced though there are a fair number of OM folks on social media masquerading as MSU fans just to make us look bad.

Reactions: The Fatboy

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
That feels like settling and I hope new AD isn’t thinking that way long term. I suppose it’s all we can afford at the moment.

Some sports (baseball) I hope we can make an exception and buy top transfers every year. As we saw with Will Bednar (and then with the loss of Sims) one ace pitcher can make or break your entire season. I don’t care what anyone says, we have the fan base and enough wealthy alumni to buy one 17ing pitcher. Our collective should not be letting LSU / UF etc outbid us for transfer baseball players. Baseball is already a sport where the best players only stay 2-3 years before going pro, so attracting transfers and convincing top HS talent to delay going pro is key.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I love all this bitching about NIL funding (or lack of funding.) How many of you guys are currently donating??
Do you honestly think the average message board Joe is the primary funding arm of NIL's for the larger schools? #grassroots loses to #corporateNIL everytime.

Aug 20, 2006
Sounds like the entity that is making a metric eff-ton of money off of the players, games, tv deals and bowl games should pony up their share into the NIL fund. Call me crazy, but they are the ones who stand to lose if we fall behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog and HailDat

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do you honestly think the average message board Joe is the primary funding arm of NIL's for the larger schools? #grassroots loses to #corporateNIL everytime.
I agree with this. The collectives sort of just maintain the status quo.

We don't have what Arkansas or Louisville has in regards to this. Ultimately that's what we need. We need real opportunities in Mississippi.

On another note @KentuckyDawg13, why is Ole Miss having success in Louisville? Just curious on the specifics there.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006

We don't have what Arkansas or Louisville has in regards to this. Ultimately that's what we need. We need real opportunities in Mississippi.

On another note @KentuckyDawg13, why is Ole Miss having success in Louisville? Just curious on the specifics there.
To tell you the truth, I have no idea. My kids recently graduated from private high school here, and they routinely tell me about so-and-so going to ole miss. I was like, why?! It is a known as "party school", and it's 6 hours away from Louisville, which is ideal for most college kids. Too far for parents to visit, close enough to visit parents for money.
I did teach high school a couple of years (Web Design, 2001-03) and one of my students was an exceptional baseball player and he knew about Mississippi State. He said he actually contacted the coach (Polk) and got no response. MSU marketing just has little vision compared to other schools in terms of national recruitment. Sure, some of the sarcastic billboards were great, but not recognizing untapped markets for growth is just sad.

Reactions: aTotal360

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
To tell you the truth, I have no idea. My kids recently graduated from private high school here, and they routinely tell me about so-and-so going to ole miss. I was like, why?! It is a known as "party school", and it's 6 hours away from Louisville, which is ideal for most college kids. Too far for parents to visit, close enough to visit parents for money.
I did teach high school a couple of years (Web Design, 2001-03) and one of my students was an exceptional baseball player and he knew about Mississippi State. He said he actually contacted the coach (Polk) and got no response. MSU marketing just has little vision compared to other schools in terms of national recruitment. Sure, some of the sarcastic billboards were great, but not recognizing untapped markets for growth is just sad.
I've sat through the student recruiting spiels from TAMU, the Barn, MSU and UGA. MSU's was the worse by far.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Or one of the few following the rules by not using the NIL as a recruiting tool. UF may be in some how water and their NIL with the whole Rashada deal. Admit you used it as a recruiting tool and take what if any punishment the NCAA hands out or the NIL pays the kid whoever he goes to school.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Cohen alienated sooo many fans that were contributing to athletics. He may have kissed *** of the top few donors but he destroyed the good will of a lot of rank and file donors and fans. I hope the new guy can reverse this trend but its going to be an uphill climb.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Cohen alienated sooo many fans that were contributing to athletics. He may have kissed *** of the top few donors but he destroyed the good will of a lot of rank and file donors and fans. I hope the new guy can reverse this trend but its going to be an uphill climb.
That’s the truth. Some won’t admit it but I’m either friends or work with numerous folks who walked away. They still watch but that’s about it.

Anon1674176197

Jan 19, 2023

It’s not just Kentucky. It is nation wide.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Had I won that billion dollar lotto prize the other day, Walker Howard would be a Bulldog and we'd get the baseball recruits currently signing with LSU.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Perception is reality, once again. Here in Louisville, KY, there is a large number of private high $chools* and they routinely have students attending ole miss. Nobody from any of these schools have had MSU on their radar. It's a systematic failure on MSU's part.

* High school tuition higher than MSU's
Educating private high school kids from Kentucky isn't what MSU is there for. It SHOULDN'T be what Mississippi is there for either, but stuff like that seems to be their focus. MSU is a public university in Mississippi. Our primary focus should ALWAYS be on Mississippians and the needs of Mississippi. I'm quite proud of what we do and what we are. Some of y'all have lost site of the primary mission of this university.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Please,

please,

please...

I'm begging...

PARAGRAPHS

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Feels 3 Dots GIF by T-Mobile

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login