Brandon Miller Saga

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Many more op-eds like this and Oats won't have a choice about whether Miller remains on the team:

I can't get over how tone deaf Oats' original comments were yesterday and the "clarification" statement he released wasn't much better. Byrne almost has to fire Oats over this.

I'm also appalled reading the Bama fans toe the line that Miller was "just returning someone's personal property". Unbelievable!

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Many more op-eds like this and Oats won't have a choice about whether Miller remains on the team:

I can't get over how tone deaf Oats' original comments were yesterday and the "clarification" statement he released wasn't much better. Byrne almost has to fire Oats over this.

I'm also appalled reading the Bama fans toe the line that Miller was "just returning someone's personal property". Unbelievable!
And someone smarter than me is going to have to help me better understand how driving to the scene of the crime and providing a murder weapon to an individual that then used said weapon to murder a young lady is somehow not a crime.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
And someone smarter than me is going to have to help me better understand how driving to the scene of the crime and providing a murder weapon to an individual that then used said weapon to murder a young lady is somehow not a crime.
EXACTLY! Miles is being charged as an accessory because it was his gun and he asked Miller to bring it to the scene. However, Miller isn't being charged despite bringing the murder weapon to the crime scene...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There's no question if it were you or me, we'd be sitting in jail right now as an accomplice.
Don't know about that. Unless the shooter informed Miller he was considering shooting someone, then I don't know if simply returning a weapon to it's owner is a crime (if all parties are of the appropriate age, 18 or 21 depending on the state law). The article stated Miller parked his car so the victims couldn't leave, but where did that info come from? The article doesn't mention the DA or LE saying that. We'd have to know more about the "blocking in" situation before making a judgement.

No doubt that terrible decisions were made by Miller, but we don't yet know if any laws were broken. It may still be worthy or a suspension, but so far it doesn't appear criminal.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Don't know about that. Unless the shooter informed Miller he was considering shooting someone, then I don't know if simply returning a weapon to it's owner is a crime (if all parties are of the appropriate age, 18 or 21 depending on the state law). The article stated Miller parked his car so the victims couldn't leave, but where did that info come from? The article doesn't mention the DA or LE saying that. We'd have to know more about the "blocking in" situation before making a judgement.

No doubt that terrible decisions were made by Miller, but we don't yet know if any laws were broken. It may still be worthy or a suspension, but so far it doesn't appear criminal.
The info comes from the cops at a charging hearing I think. So take it with a huge grain of salt. Keep in mind that the shooter will very likely be claiming self defense, meaning he'll claim the bf of the victim had made threats (likely true as they had a previous encounter over the girl) and he saw him pull a gun (also likely, considering how quickly he returned fire), and only shot in self defense. This is decent ground for reasonable doubt. Keep that in mind as the cops say he had someone bring him the gun, as that would prove premeditation and intent and undercuts the self defense claim.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think this is going to be the answer and I assume accessory to murder has a pretty high intent requirement. Miles handing the gun to the shooter in those circumstances looks to satisfy the level of intent. He was handing his own gun to somebody else in a situation he knew was confrontational. Miller I guess has the argument that for all he knew Miles had been threatened and wanted his own gun in case the threat materialized later that night. Really depends on how much he knew about the situation going into it. I suspect he knew enough to be charged, but if information was given to him verbally and not by text, I'm not sure what they can prove unless Miles testifies against him as to what he told him and how much Miller knew about the situation.

ETA: That said, it does seem extremely plausible that him not getting charged at all as opposed to having a solid defense against charges is a result of him being an Alabama basketball player.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think this is going to be the answer and I assume accessory to murder has a pretty high intent requirement. Miles handing the gun to the shooter in those circumstances looks to satisfy the level of intent. He was handing his own gun to somebody else in a situation he knew was confrontational. Miller I guess has the argument that for all he knew Miles had been threatened and wanted his own gun in case the threat materialized later that night. Really depends on how much he knew about the situation going into it. I suspect he knew enough to be charged, but if information was given to him verbally and not by text, I'm not sure what they can prove unless Miles testifies against him as to what he told him and how much Miller knew about the situation.

ETA: That said, it does seem extremely plausible that him not getting charged at all as opposed to having a solid defense against charges is a result of him being an Alabama basketball player.

Except him bringing the gun wasn’t the only thing….and even that is bordering on preposterous in terms of self defense when you consider that he was asked to literally go and get the damn thing from a residence, vehicle, or what have you. The other thing is that he and another guy blocked the victim from leaving with their personal vehicles. You can’t just look at those two events in isolation. They both throw the self defense thing out the window.

When one guy pulls a gun as a threat, about the only thing you can do to 100% guarantee that gun will be fired is to pull out another gun. And they trapped them on top of that. They could have walked away or notified police and been fine.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Except him bringing the gun wasn’t the only thing….and even that is bordering on preposterous in terms of self defense when you consider that he was asked to literally go and get the damn thing from a residence, vehicle, or what have you.
He was asked to go get a gun by the owner of the gun. I agree that as a practical matter, he probably knew what was going on and doing so at night and bringing the gun to a bar scene I think just about locks up any civil case against him. Not sure if it satisfies beyond reasonable doubt without somebody testifying or having some text messages showing he knew what the situation was.

The other thing is that he and another guy blocked the victim from leaving with their personal vehicles. You can’t just look at those two events in isolation. They both throw the self defense thing out the window.

If they pulled up behind him to trap him, then I would think that would be enough. IF he pulled up to Miles, and stopped, and Miles was just behind the car, that's different. Again, I agree that he probably knew what was going on and knew what he was doing, but they need to be able to prove it. It seems like they at least didn't work too hard on that issue and coming to that conclusion without filing any charges seems very fishy.
When one guy pulls a gun as a threat, about the only thing you can do to 100% guarantee that gun will be fired is to pull out another gun. And they trapped them on top of that. They could have walked away or notified police and been fine.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

And, yet, all of this information has been available to both law enforcement and the district attorney for weeks. No charges. Wake me up when they charge the kid, present the charge to the grand jury and he's indicted.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login