Brandon shootout...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I understand domestic fights can get crazy. But what possesses these idiots to go postal on the cops? How does it go that far?

That's a nice neighborhood too, I'm over there weekly, literally passing that house every time. Very curious to see who, how, why of the suspect.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Prayers for the families involved. My dad was a police officer for close to 15 years in Memphis and always told me domestic disturbance calls were the worst ones to receive because it was the most unpredictable.

Most of these individuals probably are not of the frame of mind to really care who they put in the line of fire.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I understand domestic fights can get crazy. But what possesses these idiots to go postal on the cops? How does it go that far?

That's a nice neighborhood too, I'm over there weekly, literally passing that house every time. Very curious to see who, how, why of the suspect.
We had a domestic shooting in my neighborhood about 15 years ago. Daughter of one of my mom's best friends from college shot her boyfriend in the back. I walk or jog past that house weekly and knew her parents. Some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. Crazy what happens in these situations.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We had a domestic shooting in my neighborhood about 15 years ago. Daughter of one of my mom's best friends from college shot her boyfriend in the back. I walk or jog past that house weekly and knew her parents. Some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. Crazy what happens in these situations.
This was similar situation Pat, or so my wife read on FB. Young girl broke up w/ guy recently (both hs or college age), guy came over and took her and a friend hostage last night (not sure if male or female friend). One or both of them got away from suspect then cops either shot him or he killed himself, that part unclear. Consider the source (not me) Facebook......

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I wonder how a Madison Police Officer got involved.
When you're a first responder, I suppose you respond.

"Additional agencies, including the Rankin County Sheriff’s Department, Pearl Police, Madison Police, and at least one SWAT team then responded to the location of the standoff."

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If I was an officer I don't know which I would fear most, a mass shooting situation or a domestic dispute. R.I.P. officer Tyler.
For sure domestic dispute.

My BIL is a police officer for 20 years now and I think that has been his biggest concern for 20 years- safety when it comes to domestic disturbance. Family dynamics are 17ing crazy and that creates some really escalated emotions.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
For sure domestic dispute.

My BIL is a police officer for 20 years now and I think that has been his biggest concern for 20 years- safety when it comes to domestic disturbance. Family dynamics are 17ing crazy and that creates some really escalated emotions.
I think they have stats showing responding to a domestic violence incident is the most dangerous situation for cops. Not sure if that's on a per incident basis or just total number of injuries to/deaths of police.

Would not have expected that, but I guess it does make sense that in addition to the fact you've presumablyl already got somebody acting violent if not crazy, police probably put themselves in a more vulnerable position when responding. Coming to a drug deal/shooting or whatever call, the effective play is probably to mostly stay defensive. For a domestic violence incident, don't know how you begin to assess the situation without walking up to the door, and you can't really protect yourself there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've read this happened in Crossgates. If so, some parts are not really a nice any more. Urban legend has it that it was the largest neighborhood in the 'Sip at one time. There's some 1970s houses in there that are small are not in great shape. Several "less than desirables" have moved in over the past 10 years or so. About 5 years ago I bought a grill off FB marketplace that was being sold by an individual in Crossgates, that particular street was pretty rough.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've read this happened in Crossgates. If so, some parts are not really a nice any more. Urban legend has it that it was the largest neighborhood in the 'Sip at one time. There's some 1970s houses in there that are small are not in great shape. Several "less than desirables" have moved in over the past 10 years or so. About 5 years ago I bought a grill off FB marketplace that was being sold by an individual in Crossgates, that particular street was pretty rough.
It's older, but it's fine. Pansy. They are starting to do some good things around it too.

"less than desirables", haha, that's YOUR words, grandpaw.

It is hipster? No. But it's better than the sea of roofs all over Flowood.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's older, but it's fine. Pansy. They are starting to do some good things around it too.

"less than desirables", haha, that's YOUR words, grandpaw.

It is hipster? No. But it's better than the sea of roofs all over Flowood.
There are some shady areas, thoughts and prayers if you have to live in one of these parts. Some of the houses around the Rez are getting in the same shape.

Parents die and likely didn't put much money into keeping up the house in their final years. Sometimes surviving children can't or don't want to put money into the house to fix it up, so they sell for the first offer.

I don't think most people would consider Crossgates "nice," but to each his own.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

I’m not sure what it is, but a good friend of mine has been in the military or law enforcement his whole career. Starting with the USMC, then onto local law enforcement and now federal law enforcement. He has always said that domestic violence calls are, by far, the most high risk calls. So, I can’t answer your question, but I can tell you from you buddy’s experience, that DV calls seems to be really damn dangerous on the whole.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login