Brandon vs. NWR for the title??

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When did these two become good at basketball? Is this a product of dumbing down the divisions? All the Jackson schools are now 5A or something? Where's Lanier and Provine???

Getting worse next year. Winning 7A sports gonna be about like Jackson Prep in their little piddly division with about 4 teams.

Travel ball taken over everything.

Reactions: Shmuley and patdog

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
When did these two become good at basketball? Is this a product of dumbing down the divisions? All the Jackson schools are now 5A or something? Where's Lanier and Provine???

Getting worse next year. Winning 7A sports gonna be about like Jackson Prep in their little piddly division with about 4 teams.

Travel ball taken over everything.
Three 7A schools in Rankin County: Brandon, Northwest and Pearl

patdog

May 28, 2007
I remember when the Jackson suburb schools weren't that competitive statewide, but with the money, transfers, and performance academies sprouting up, that's changed. They're pretty much all powerhouses now. Jackson sports have suffered from years of lack of resources and declining enrollment and I think Covid just about dealt them the death blow. Murrah is the only 6A school (7A next year) and they're going to play as an independent in most sports because they just can't compete.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I remember when the Jackson suburb schools weren't that competitive statewide, but with the money, transfers, and performance academies sprouting up, that's changed. They're pretty much all powerhouses now. Jackson sports have suffered from years of lack of resources and declining enrollment and I think Covid just about dealt them the death blow. Murrah is the only 6A school (7A next year) and they're going to play as an independent in most sports because they just can't compete.
I figured all the Jackson players had headed out to the suburbs. It's a shame, because Jackson basketball used to be a sight to behold, back in the Monta days and such. I always had a theory that MSU should have been involved in Jackson basketball, but it appears that time has simply passed by.

Maybe if someone ever really invests in it, it could come back? Just from my own kid playing basketball, the gold standard seems to be the Jackson AAU-type circuit, though I don't know if it's really worth messing with. The outer leagues are just as good.

Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I always had a theory that MSU should have been involved in Jackson basketball, but it appears that time has simply passed by.
How should MSU have been involved? We signed players from there...do you mean something like running camps down in the city? If so, that would have been pretty neat.

Was it you that wanted Thomas Billups to coach at MSU after Stansbury stepped down? Or it may have been someone named 'Toag'? Or maybe I am totally misremembering since its been a decade.

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
AAU is all that matters now in basketball. I agree that in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s Jackson Public School basketball was unreal. Gulfport also had great programs too. Seems like I remember North Natchez having a powerhouse too. I miss going to the Mississippi Coliseum this time of year and watching some of the players.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I watched Murrah play against Madison central last year and it was pretty bad. Didn’t hardly look like 2 teams that belonged on the field together and certainly not in a district together.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I watched Murrah play against Madison central last year and it was pretty bad. Didn’t hardly look like 2 teams that belonged on the field together and certainly not in a district together.
Madison lost to Murrah the 1st time they played back in 1993. Won 27 straight since then. Average score 46-14. Murrah's all-time playoff record, dating back to 1981 is 0-3. I can't blame them for going independent. Their district would include Madison, Clinton, Starkville, Tupelo and Germantown.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login