Breaking down Stansbury out of conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
We all know Ricky as the "King of the SEC West". However, the last couple of days many sportswriters have questioned his coaching like I have over the years. I think I know why.
In looking back over his coaching career, I took out games against doormats like Northwestern St, SE La, Holy Cross, and many mid-majors (altho we have lost to these guys too- George Mason, Butler, and numerous others) and just looked at major conference teams. Interesting to say the least:</p>

98-99- lost to Texas, Fla St, and Colorado St- no wins
99-00- lost to Rutgers and Stanford, beat Norwestern
00-01- lost to Tulsa and Cal, beat Arizona, USM, and Pitt
01-02- lost to Cincy and Texas, beat Tulane
02-03- beat Xavier, Oklahoma, and UAB
03-04- beat UAB, Xavier, Tulane...lost rematch to Xavier
04-05- lost to Syracuse, Arizona, Duke...beat Xavier, VT, and Stanford
05-06- weak schedule- loss to George Mason
06-07- lost to Clemson, Mizzou, and WV...beat Miami and FSU
07-08- lost to Clemson and Miami, beat Mizzou

That makes him 17-18 against major college programs (with 5 wins from Conf USA)...i'm not offering any opinion here...just pointing out facts. Very interesting stuff</p>

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
off the Stansbury is a poor coach/great recruiter bang wagon. However, care to explain what the point of this really is? He has a great SEC record and poor out of conference record against majors because...........The SEC is inferior????? I don't know. ..... You explain it......

Aug 29, 2004
Dude, it must suck to be you. We're back in the tournament.....enjoy.

Did Stans cut you off in traffic one day? Grab the last eggo waffle out of the toaster?

If we fired Stans today who would want to see us go after?

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
This is just like the locked thread below, about buying or selling that the season will be a disappointment if Oregon beats us. Since I didn't get to comment on that, I say SELL! I'll be thrilled if Oregon beats us! I'll tip my hat to the mighty Ducks, give my Oregon friends a congratulatory call, and have a few beers whilst reminiscing about our awesome season. Hey, you can't win 'em all, right?

Seriously, what kind of dumbass @%+*%%# buy/sell was that? Did you really expect anybody to sell? Hey, I've got an in-thread buy/sell for you:

BUY/SELL - When you're hungry, you should eat some food.

I'M SELLING! +$%% FOOD! CENTER Z GETS NOURISHMENT FROM THE SUN LOL!!111

This is another lame *** attempt by you to vilify Stansbury and set yourself up for some hardcore chest-thumping if Oregon beats us. We get it. Seriously. We do. You don't like Stansbury. You think he sucks. He won't get to the Sweet 16. You think he's an average floor coach who can't win big games. What is it? Did he fingerbang your ex-wife in college or something? Did your parents get divorced when you were a child, and your mom get remarried to a guy named Rick(y)? Did he make fun of you, Doyle Hargreaves style, while he groped your mom in front of you, and told you to go get him another beer or he'd smack you and your retarded friend? Does Stansbury make you envious because he actually has a high paying job as a coach, while you spend all day telling complete strangers about how you used to be one, while thinking they will care and/or take you seriously? Did the tin man scare you when you watched The Wizard of Oz as a toddler? Seriously, what is it? What makes you harp on this ****, over and over and over and over and over and over and over, when everybody on this board already knows your opinion?

Oh that's right, you're just trying to get a rise out of us. My bad.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Well, considering we play a third of our schedule every year against SEC West teams, I'll happily take our coach being King of the SEC West.

The other thing I find amusing is that you are basically bitching about three games over the course of his nine year career - the second round NCAA game that would have put us in the Sweet 16 in 2002, 2004, 2005. You are basically saying that winning one extra game in each of those years would make him more than an "average" coach.

Heading into this year, his career winning percentage was .640 from a record of 185-104. Let's say he wins all three of those games but loses in the Sweet 16 in each of those tournaments. His winning percentage would improve a whopping .004 to .644 (and is actually .6438) from a career record of 188-104. Yet, all of a sudden, to you, he would miraculously be a better coach.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
How do all the other SEC coaches (plus one recently fired coach) stack up under those criteria? </p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
you're too big of a moron to talk about basketball and go for the smartass personal attack. I just gave you facts, and look at your reaction...very telling</p>

</p>

as far as the buy/sell, considering we usually talk about how great we are when we win a West title, I was looking to see how many people would say they were satisfied by that accomplishment. But once aGAIN, someone cant discuss..it has to be a personal attack- The exact reason the board has declined.</p>

lxadawg

Mar 3, 2008
The only fact I am interested in is our sports teams usually don't fo well compared to others in the SEC. Basketball, overall, has been a definite exception to my previous sentence. For that reason, I simply choose to enjoy our success and move on to the more earth-shattering aspects of my life.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
I was looking to see how many people would say they were satisfied by that accomplishment. But once aGAIN, someone cant discuss..it has to be a personal attack- The exact reason the board has declined.
You simply want to "discuss" the issue? I mean, damn...we get it. You don't believe Stans is a good coach because of his lack of NCAA tournament success. However, not everyone on the board is ready to throw his *** under the bus...yeah, it would be great to make a Sweet 16 every now and then...but winning with somewhat consistency in the SEC is a pretty damn significant accomplishment as well.

Bottom line...we're not gonna change your mind about Stans, and you're not gonna change ours. Can we give it a rest now? Holy ****.

HD6, if you're looking for the next poster to "JR", Coach is starting to look mighty strong. Same ****, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
I agree with everything WMJ just said. It seems like every other thread for the last 3 weeks has been some post by Coach just trying to stir the pot, with a response from everyone on the board telling him he's an idiot. Eventually, a moderator locks it. It has really gotten old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login