BREAKING: Penn State adds QB Marcus Stokes to Class of 2023

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Last edited:

JoeBatters1

Nov 1, 2021
His offer list seems kind of pedestrian. It appears none of the big 3 in Florida have offered - it will be interesting to see if he sticks if they do.

Is he a different style QB than Allar?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
His offer list seems kind of pedestrian. It appears none of the big 3 in Florida have offered - it will be interesting to see if he sticks if they do.

Is he a different style QB than Allar?

Few schools can stack elite QB recruits year after year - Stokes seems like a solid prospect who won’t scare anyone on the roster but will hopefully be serviceable if needed. Seems like a good get for this cycle; need a QB a year anyway.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t know whether this applies to Stokes or not but following Penn State recruiting back to the early 90’s, Penn State was hurt by bringing in four stars that peaked early in high school as opposed to guys who blew up in their senior year. It looks like early commitments are here to stay, but there is still something to be said for identifying recruits that are under recruited or poised to improve with opportunity and development. I would expect that when Penn State offers a three star QB, they don’t think he hears a three star ceiling.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Few schools can stack elite QB recruits year after year - Stokes seems like a solid prospect who won’t scare anyone on the roster but will hopefully be serviceable if needed. Seems like a good get for this cycle; need a QB a year anyway.

How is he with time management?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know whether this applies to Stokes or not but following Penn State recruiting back to the early 90’s, Penn State was hurt by bringing in four stars that peaked early in high school as opposed to guys who blew up in their senior year. It looks like early commitments are here to stay, but there is still something to be said for identifying recruits that are under recruited or poised to improve with opportunity and development. I would expect that when Penn State offers a three star QB, they don’t think he hears a three star ceiling.

You always need someone to wear the neon yellow ballcap and who is good at hand signals.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

The number of highly ranked (4* or better) QB busts or never-were’s at Penn State is shocking (Morelli, Devlin, Jones, Bolden, Roberson, Hackenberg, Johnson Jr., Zembiec, Levis - and Clifford was a 4*). Our best QB's recently have been McGloin and McSorley (and both had very good talent around them). Rankings aren't everything, and I think they're getting better at rating prospects, but his offer sheet says more than anything else. Only 247 has him as a 4*/top ten prospect and he might be (On3 has him 18th overall, 3*; Rivals has him as a 3* but no overall ranking) but the good news is he doesn't really have to be anything more than a good QB for now. But, he is from Florida, and at some point one of the Big 3 may not get their guy, and they may give him a ring.

Watching his tape he appears to be way more athletic than anyone else on the field - he's outrunning DB's easily - and he has a really strong, accurate arm in the short to mid-range distances.

Reactions: Got GSPs

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The number of highly ranked (4* or better) QB busts or never-were’s at Penn State is shocking (Morelli, Devlin, Jones, Bolden, Roberson, Hackenberg, Johnson Jr., Zembiec, Levis - and Clifford was a 4*). Our best QB's recently have been McGloin and McSorley (and both had very good talent around them). Rankings aren't everything, and I think they're getting better at rating prospects, but his offer sheet says more than anything else. Only 247 has him as a 4*/top ten prospect and he might be (On3 has him 18th overall, 3*; Rivals has him as a 3* but no overall ranking) but the good news is he doesn't really have to be anything more than a good QB for now. But, he is from Florida, and at some point one of the Big 3 may not get their guy, and they may give him a ring.

Watching his tape he appears to be way more athletic than anyone else on the field - he's outrunning DB's easily - and he has a really strong, accurate arm in the short to mid-range distances.
Devlin was on an NFL roster for a number of years, so I wouldn’t call him a bust. He left because he was stuck behind Clark and even when there should have been an opportunity to play (Iowa 2008), he wasn’t given a chance, for whatever reason. I can’t blame the kid, he had talent and wanted to play.

Reactions: Bison13

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Devlin was on an NFL roster for a number of years, so I wouldn’t call him a bust. He left because he was stuck behind Clark and even when there should have been an opportunity to play (Iowa 2008), he wasn’t given a chance, for whatever reason. I can’t blame the kid, he had talent and wanted to play.
Marsh, is that you?

btw, I agree. He should have played the entire game at Iowa.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

I’m talking performance while at Penn State - nothing else. I really thought Devlin would kill it at PSU.

Reactions: LB99

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
At 6'1.5" and 180 he is probably not going to get a lot of *'s in his rating. Agree he does look fast, and is similar to McSorley with a stronger arm coming out of HS. on the PayDirt podcast McGloin and Hannifan both feel that Penn State will likley lose one of the current QBs before the fall season, so you need to keep recruiting new blood each year.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Clark was a two-time 1st Team Big10 QB and one-time Big10 offensive player of the year. How many of those have we had?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Clark was a two-time 1st Team Big10 QB and one-time Big10 offensive player of the year. How many of those have we had?
You missed the point. Devlin was labeled a 4 star bust by the original post. I would argue he wasn’t, he just didn’t end up showcasing his talent at PSU.

To my point about Iowa. Clark was obviously still dealing with concussion issues one week after exiting the game in Columbus after sustaining a concussion. A game that Devlin lead them to the game winning TD. For whatever reason, the staff never gave Devlin a chance at Iowa. They inserted Williams from time to time to run the wildcat with little success instead. It still is a head scratcher to me.

Reactions: Bison13

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You missed the point. Devlin was labeled a 4 star bust by the original post. I would argue he wasn’t, he just didn’t end up showcasing his talent at PSU.

To my point about Iowa. Clark was obviously still dealing with concussion issues one week after exiting the game in Columbus after sustaining a concussion. A game that Devlin lead them to the game winning TD. For whatever reason, the staff never gave Devlin a chance at Iowa. They inserted Williams from time to time to run the wildcat with little success instead. It still is a head scratcher to me.

I said ‘bust or never-was’ but Devlin did nothing in college. That is the scope of my criticism; that he was on a pro roster for a while is a separate consideration.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

I never said Devlin was a bust. He was beat out by a QB who was as credentialed as any that have played for the Blue & White. For that reason alone, Clark earned the right to play through any tough spots.

At O$U, the game was won mostly by the defense. Devlin’s primary role was handing off.

At Iowa, Penn State lost on the last play of the game after some (hard to believe in the Big10, I know) questionable officiating.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I never said Devlin was a bust. He was beat out by a QB who was as credentialed as any that have played for the Blue & White. For that reason alone, Clark earned the right to play through any tough spots.

At O$U, the game was won mostly by the defense. Devlin’s primary role was handing off.

At Iowa, Penn State lost on the last play of the game after some (hard to believe in the Big10, I know) questionable officiating.

PSU’s offense at Iowa went dormant. Clark wasn’t right after the concussion the previous week and instead of inserting Devlin, they ran several wildcat plays with DWill. So, why wouldn’t you play the kid who had to come in and save the game for you in Columbus? You also took DWill out of the WR option every time you lined him up in the wildcat. I don’t know who’s brainchild that was, but it was a bad one.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
PSU’s offense at Iowa went dormant. Clark wasn’t right after the concussion the previous week and instead of inserting Devlin, they ran several wildcat plays with DWill. So, why wouldn’t you play the kid who had to come in and save the game for you in Columbus? You also took DWill out of the WR option every time you lined him up in the wildcat. I don’t know who’s brainchild that was, but it was a bad one.
I don’t know, because Clark was a 2-time 1st Team Big10 QB and 1-time Big10 offensive player of year. For those of you keeping score at home, that means he was not only the best QB on PSU but in the entire conference? And he beat out Devlin. You don’t pull a proven player of that caliber for a person who’s highlight was a couple of handoffs at O$U.

Coaches who do that typically don’t last long.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I don’t know, because Clark was a 2-time 1st Team Big10 QB and 1-time Big10 offensive player of year. For those of you keeping score at home, that means he was not only the best QB on PSU but in the entire conference? And he beat out Devlin. You don’t pull a proven player of that caliber for a person who’s highlight was a couple of handoffs at O$U.

Clark was 9 for 23 for 86 yards and an INT in that game. Not exactly B1G player of the week stats for those keeping track at home.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

I’m not saying that is solely the reason why they lost the game. The defense couldn’t stop Shonn Greene. However, Clark clearly wasn’t himself.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Clark wasn't himself against Iowa, and leaving him in was a huge mistake

Reactions: LB99