Breaking: Sean Peyton to retire.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What? can't be! I was told a couple of days ago on here it's just speculation and he wouldn't leave the saints.**

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That vault door you just heard swing open was Jerruh about to go ham.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
After they signed Taysum to that contract too, I doubt the next coach has the same love affair with the guy.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you're stuck with Taysom Hill (big power running tight end who can throw a little) at QB and no other decent coach wants to mess with that rebuild... I am calling it.

Mullenz to New Orleans.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Sits out a year no breach of contract then from what I understand

Where are you getting that? He’s under contract through 2024 and retiring freezes the contract I believe. Bruce Arians did the same thing with Arizona, retired and sat out a year and the Bucs still had to trade for him. They sent a 6th round pick, I know the Saints would ask for more than that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If you're stuck with Taysom Hill (big power running tight end who can throw a little) at QB and no other decent coach wants to mess with that rebuild... I am calling it.

Mullenz to New Orleans.

Except the Saints have a QB who was on pace for a top 10 QB finish when he was hurt in week 8. I get that Jameis is annoying AF but there's 10 teams that would love to have him right now. Plus he's only 28 and due to getting hurt and not playing for a year, there's a lotta miles left on those tires.

Edit to add: ok so 30-30 is a free agent, I'm being told. Still think Saints should re-sign him.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He'll turn up somewhere in the NFL. However watch how us Saints fans act. You will get a peak into the window of how bad it will be over in Alabama when Saban hooks up and retire.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
He'll turn up somewhere in the NFL. However watch how us Saints fans act. You will get a peak into the window of how bad it will be over in Alabama when Saban hooks up and retire.

You kidding? That liberal **** can't leave Tuscaloosa fast enough!**

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think Taysom Hill has a $13 million dollar cap hit next season. Winston is probably the top free agent QB in the NFL this year. Him or Bridgewater. Someone is going to overpay for him. $25-30 million is the floor for free agent NFL QB's now. Nobody could want to have $43 million tied up next season in Winston and Hill?

It's rebuild time for the Saints. Draft a young QB. Trade off some pieces for picks to build up in through the draft. It sucks, but that's what happens when you lose an all time QB.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Where are you getting that? He’s under contract through 2024 and retiring freezes the contract I believe. Bruce Arians did the same thing with Arizona, retired and sat out a year and the Bucs still had to trade for him. They sent a 6th round pick, I know the Saints would ask for more than that.

Every contract is different. His no doubt has specific language on what the implications are if he retires, and what the Saints are owed if he takes another job with X number of years left. It will also specify whether the contract freezes or whether he can continue to accumulate years towards completion without pay. He knows the landscape, and so do all the power players within the league.

In any case, it sounds like he is legitimately burned out. 16 years with one franchise is a long time. Plus, the Saints are entering an almost certain rebuild period where they are cap heavy, have no even semi-proven QB except JW who is a free agent, and their best 2 offensive weapons are aging (Kamara), or practically guaranteed to never play for them again (MT). That all made the decision easier, I would think.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I think Taysom Hill has a $13 million dollar cap hit next season. Winston is probably the top free agent QB in the NFL this year. Him or Bridgewater. Someone is going to overpay for him. $25-30 million is the floor for free agent NFL QB's now. Nobody could want to have $43 million tied up next season in Winston and Hill?

It's rebuild time for the Saints. Draft a young QB. Trade off some pieces for picks to build up in through the draft. It sucks, but that's what happens when you lose an all time QB.

All of this sounds right. ****.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I believe that is what they were saying yesterday on the radio in New Orleans.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
I think he will coach again. He's burned out right now. Very difficult year (Ida, Covid, post-Brees, etc.) Very difficult days in New Orleans. Window closing on an era. I don't think Peyton will ever work for Jones in Dallas. Future for New Orleans? I would interview Joe Lombardi currently at the Chargers. He knows the Saints system. Try to keep DA at DC. Keep Loomis and Ireland.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Very interesting article right here.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...me-cowboys-coach-in-2019-could-it-happen-now/

With Sean Payton stepping down as head coach of the Saints after 16 years on the job, his next move will become an issue of major intrigue and curiosity. There’s a sense he could land in television for a year or two, perhaps before returning to the NFL.

Or maybe he could simply resurface with a new team. Maybe sooner than later.

He has been linked to the Cowboys on various occasions in the past. He worked there as offensive coordinator under Bill Parcells, before getting the New Orleans job in 2006. Not long ago, Payton nearly became the head coach of the Cowboys.

What follows comes from my new book, Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). The essay from which it’s drawn can be found there, if/when you purchase the book. (The book contains more than 100 total essays about the last 20 years in the NFL.) Consider this a taste, with the obvious goal being that perhaps you’ll decide to buy the whole pie.

The year was 2019. The month, January. The Cowboys had won 10 of 16 games, along with a wild-card contest against the Seahawks. They lost to the Rams in the divisional round, 30-22. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones contemplated an upgrade from coach Jason Garrett to Sean Payton. Jones wanted to pull the trigger. Payton did, too.

Things unfolded quickly. The Saints had played in the NFC Championship, losing to the Rams on January 20. That week, Jones quietly made his move.

It was a delicate situation, for various reasons. First, the Cowboys had a coach. Jones wouldn’t have fired Garrett unless he knew he could have gotten Payton. Second, league rules (specifically, the Rooney Rule) require a diverse and inclusive search. Third, Jones had to ultimately know that, after going through the motions of a search, he’d be able to get Payton.

So a deal was worked out, behind the scenes. The Saints would have allowed the Cowboys to hire Payton. The Cowboys would have compensated the Saints for the rights to Payton’s contract. And Payton would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys.

It was ready to go. It was happening. It was locked, and it was loaded. Then came Monday, January 28. On that day, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis announced he would not sign another contract with the team, and he requested a trade. (In July, the Pelicans traded him to the Lakers.)

Gayle Benson owns both the Pelicans and the Saints. Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was, as of January 2019, the executive vice president of basketball operations with the Pelicans. Once Davis made clear his intention to leave New Orleans, Loomis told Payton that Loomis couldn’t be the common thread between a pair of such high-profile Louisiana departures.

That ended it, just like that. The Saints were no longer interested in essentially trading Payton to the Cowboys. In September, Payton signed a new contract. That deal has three years left on it.

And, yes, Jones could once again fire up the behind-the-scenes engine in an effort to land Payton. It would be the same drill as three years ago, however. This time, an unexpected Pelicans-related complication wouldn’t get in the way.

If not now, then maybe 2023. Or 2024. Regardless, the Cowboys have a talented team. And Payton is keenly aware of the fact that no coach in NFL history has won a Super Bowl with two different franchises.

So there’s the story, courtesy of Playmakers. If that leaves you wanting the rest of the pie, well, dig in.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Very interesting article right here.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...me-cowboys-coach-in-2019-could-it-happen-now/

With Sean Payton stepping down as head coach of the Saints after 16 years on the job, his next move will become an issue of major intrigue and curiosity. There’s a sense he could land in television for a year or two, perhaps before returning to the NFL.

Or maybe he could simply resurface with a new team. Maybe sooner than later.

He has been linked to the Cowboys on various occasions in the past. He worked there as offensive coordinator under Bill Parcells, before getting the New Orleans job in 2006. Not long ago, Payton nearly became the head coach of the Cowboys.

What follows comes from my new book, Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). The essay from which it’s drawn can be found there, if/when you purchase the book. (The book contains more than 100 total essays about the last 20 years in the NFL.) Consider this a taste, with the obvious goal being that perhaps you’ll decide to buy the whole pie.

The year was 2019. The month, January. The Cowboys had won 10 of 16 games, along with a wild-card contest against the Seahawks. They lost to the Rams in the divisional round, 30-22. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones contemplated an upgrade from coach Jason Garrett to Sean Payton. Jones wanted to pull the trigger. Payton did, too.

Things unfolded quickly. The Saints had played in the NFC Championship, losing to the Rams on January 20. That week, Jones quietly made his move.

It was a delicate situation, for various reasons. First, the Cowboys had a coach. Jones wouldn’t have fired Garrett unless he knew he could have gotten Payton. Second, league rules (specifically, the Rooney Rule) require a diverse and inclusive search. Third, Jones had to ultimately know that, after going through the motions of a search, he’d be able to get Payton.

So a deal was worked out, behind the scenes. The Saints would have allowed the Cowboys to hire Payton. The Cowboys would have compensated the Saints for the rights to Payton’s contract. And Payton would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys.

It was ready to go. It was happening. It was locked, and it was loaded. Then came Monday, January 28. On that day, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis announced he would not sign another contract with the team, and he requested a trade. (In July, the Pelicans traded him to the Lakers.)

Gayle Benson owns both the Pelicans and the Saints. Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was, as of January 2019, the executive vice president of basketball operations with the Pelicans. Once Davis made clear his intention to leave New Orleans, Loomis told Payton that Loomis couldn’t be the common thread between a pair of such high-profile Louisiana departures.

That ended it, just like that. The Saints were no longer interested in essentially trading Payton to the Cowboys. In September, Payton signed a new contract. That deal has three years left on it.

And, yes, Jones could once again fire up the behind-the-scenes engine in an effort to land Payton. It would be the same drill as three years ago, however. This time, an unexpected Pelicans-related complication wouldn’t get in the way.

If not now, then maybe 2023. Or 2024. Regardless, the Cowboys have a talented team. And Payton is keenly aware of the fact that no coach in NFL history has won a Super Bowl with two different franchises.

So there’s the story, courtesy of Playmakers. If that leaves you wanting the rest of the pie, well, dig in.

So basically the business side of the NFL works like every other large organization anywhere (public or private sector)….where politics and optics get in the way of sound decision making more often than not. Sounds about right.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
Fellow Saints Fans: promote Dennis Allen or Carmichael? I would be ok with either. Carmichael because he has learned under SP for a very long time or Allen because of HC experience and the defense has been very strong recently

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Aints should hire Kevin James. He plays a convincing Payton in a new hit Netflix movie. 😂😂😂

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008

The entire defense minus kwon Alexander will be back next season. Michael Thomas will be back next season. The saints are not in rebuild mode.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Fellow Saints Fans: promote Dennis Allen or Carmichael? I would be ok with either. Carmichael because he has learned under SP for a very long time or Allen because of HC experience and the defense has been very strong recently

I'm guessing Allen to HC, Carmichael back as OC, and Ryan Nielsen as DC

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login