Brian Flores sues the Dolphins, Broncos and Giants... etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
No organization will touch him after that. Would think he’d a waited until he landed somewhere before he does all that.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Seems like a nice guy. I wonder how there could’ve been reports in Miami that the locker room didn’t like him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Yea, sounds like somebody that is burned out and throwing in the towel.

I agree with him that the Rooney rule is bad in that it results in sham interviews, but at the same time, it's a chance to practice interviewing and make connections and maybe establish a reputation that helps for future openings. Kind of need execs to not be dipshits about it and take it as a legit opportunity to make a connection even if they aren't a legit option for that job at that time, so I can get being pissed about Denver, but all in all, it does seem to me like the Rooney rule is a net positive for minority coaches.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
The Rooney rule seems flawed. Some initial interviews with minority coaches seem obligatory. I understand the frustration of Coach Flores. If what he said about the Dolphins owner and GM are true that they told him to purposely lose games to get the top draft pick. That is some egregious ********.

College football is not much better. How many times is the first candidate floated out in the media a black Head Coach that doesn't get the final nod for the job. Again, it seems like it is for optics only.

On another note, I noticed Garrapolo saying he "wants to go to a team that wants to win" and I thought, What team doesn't want to win?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
According to the Broncos, he isn’t being honest.

“Believe all victims”. Well who is the victim? Is it Flores or is it people he lied abt?

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m not sure what more the NFL can do to promote minority hires. There’s no doubt there are some sham interviews to comply with the rule. But I believe it’s been successful overall in getting more minority coaches hired.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m not sure what more the NFL can do to promote minority hires. There’s no doubt there are some sham interviews to comply with the rule. But I believe it’s been successful overall in getting more minority coaches hired.

Yep… when you force a team to interview certain people there are going to fake interviews to check a box.

SGIDawg

Jan 6, 2022
Wonder if somehow this lawsuit could make the NFL release all the emails from the WFT investigation? I know that investigation wasn't racially driven, but the leaked emails from that investigation that got Gruden fired certainly were.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yep… when you force a team to interview certain people there are going to fake interviews to check a box.

The problem is the media focusing on the number of black head coaches and race baiters demanding quotas. There have been black coaches; there will be black coaches. I'd rather see a coach get hired based on qualifications, not color of skin. Maybe one day we'll just be talking about "coaches," treating everyone the same, and not "black coaches."

MLK longed for the day we judge people by the content of their character over the color of their skin. He's rolling over in his grave.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Wonder if somehow this lawsuit could make the NFL release all the emails from the WFT investigation? I know that investigation wasn't racially driven, but the leaked emails from that investigation that got Gruden fired certainly were.

We could only hope but if they are not named not in the lawsuit, not likely. Not relevant information.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Drebin said:
MLK longed for the day we judge people by the content of their character over the color of their skin. He's rolling over in his grave.

Didn’t MLK dream of the day when picking a SC judge based on the color of their skin was acceptable?***

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The problem is the media focusing on the number of black head coaches and race baiters demanding quotas. There have been black coaches; there will be black coaches. I'd rather see a coach get hired based on qualifications, not color of skin. Maybe one day we'll just be talking about "coaches," treating everyone the same, and not "black coaches."

If you scroll Twitter now they are moving past head coaches, all the talk now is you need minority ownership in the NFL. Not real sure how that could be forced…

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Didn’t MLK dream of the day when picking a SC judge based on the color of their skin was acceptable?***

People bitching about Biden saying he is going to appoint a black women to the supreme court didn't ***** when Regan said he was going to appoint the first woman judge or when Trump said he was going to appoint a woman judge. Yes, both said it.

The supreme court should reflect our societies diversity. There should judges from all sections of our country and skin color. Women should be represented on the supreme court and it's past time for it to be a woman of color.

Maybe just maybe we will see the day when you don't have to specifically target a person of color at a position to gain this diversity but that day has not yet arrived.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Thats an easy one, time for some minority ownership to start counting their Dollar$ and make an offer because the Broncos are on the sale block.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Maybe I'm naive, but the NFL is the most cut throat business imaginable and the only acceptable thing is winning - conferences and super bowls. I have to believe that if coach is a minority but he's a winner, the owners won't care. They simply want to win and nothing else is acceptable. They want the most qualified coach who they believe can deliver them a championship and color has nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm wrong.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Hot Rock;[URL="tel:2016608" said:
2016608[/URL]]People bitching about Biden saying he is going to appoint a black women to the supreme court didn't ***** when Regan said he was going to appoint the first woman judge or when Trump said he was going to appoint a woman judge. Yes, both said it.

The supreme court should reflect our societies diversity. There should judges from all sections of our country and skin color. Women should be represented on the supreme court and it's past time for it to be a woman of color.

Maybe just maybe we will see the day when you don't have to specifically target a person of color at a position to gain this diversity but that day has not yet arrived.

Thanks for clarifying because God knows we don’t need to find the MOST qualified, but the MOST qualified (insert whatever disadvantaged identity) person. Again, that’s what MLK died for, right? For the record, I don’t give a flip who has said it. It’s shameful that we can’t just find the most qualified and deserving person REGARDLESS OF IDENTITY POLITICS.

Maybe we will see the day when we don’t see the color of the skin but that doesn’t push political derision so I doubt it. Enjoy your identity politics.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Don’t be silly! It’s obviously better to not win a SB than to have a minority coach. Or at least that’s the narrative they’re pushing…

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
What I will never understand is how people believe that these owners who have huge egos and are so competitive would pass over a person who gives them the best chance to win just to hire a white head coach. It doesn't happen ...

the people who are screaming the loudest are people who have never had to face competition or accept accountability for performance

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Donald Trump presented a list of candidates before ever ever ran.

He then chose from that list.

Biden was secretive abt it until he eliminated 94% of the population.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What I will never understand is how people believe that these owners who have huge egos and are so competitive would pass over a person who gives them the best chance to win just to hire a white head coach. It doesn't happen ...

the people who are screaming the loudest are people who have never had to face competition or accept accountability for performance

That's literally how racism works. (I have zero idea if this particular instance is racially motivated.)

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And why they don’t push for the player demographics to look more like the demographics of the country!!!****

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m always hesitant to jump into threads like this, but a few thoughts have come to mind ever since I started reading more about this.

1) the claims from the lawsuit, if true, reek of a lack of professionalism. However, I’m not sure how racism is going to be proven one way or another unless there are some damning texts, recordings, etc that specifically point to it. For what it’s worth, I’ll also point out that I (a white male) have been part of at least two “sham” interviews in which I found out later that a candidate had already been decided before I interviewed

2) I see a lot of comments pointing towards the Rooney rule needing to change, and maybe it does, but what are the suggested changes? Literally forcing the league to have a certain number of minority coaches and GMs? I’m genuinely curious

3) Lastly, I believe that there may very well be some validity to these claims. What I struggle with, however, is the lawsuit’s demands. It specifically calls for improvements in the hiring of black individuals. Not women, not minorities, not anyone else. If you want the general public to rally around something like this, I think it’s going to continue to be difficult to gather support when it continues to be focused on one demographic

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
dorndawg said:
That's literally how racism works. (I have zero idea if this particular instance is racially motivated.)

So every time a minority is passed over it’s because the owner would rather lose. Quite a stretch there, Mr. Fantastic!

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What qualifies a SCOTUS pick?

Thanks for clarifying because God knows we don’t need to find the MOST qualified, but the MOST qualified (insert whatever disadvantaged identity) person. Again, that’s what MLK died for, right? For the record, I don’t give a flip who has said it. It’s shameful that we can’t just find the most qualified and deserving person REGARDLESS OF IDENTITY POLITICS.

Maybe we will see the day when we don’t see the color of the skin but that doesn’t push political derision so I doubt it. Enjoy your identity politics.

Wrong or right, it's based on how you expect that person to judge with a few things thrown in as window dressing. The fact folks are losing their **** over the possibility of a black woman being on the court and not based on anything else (experience, education, judicial history, papers, etc.) says a lot about whether the day that MLK was hoping arrive is here or not. Maybe you guys can wait for an actual name before throwing a hissy fit - it would at least give you a chance at appearing that you might care about what you say you care about.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Seems like a nice guy. I wonder how there could’ve been reports in Miami that the locker room didn’t like him.

I'm sure this doesn't really matter but maybe he wasn't any good? They could also explain why he didn't get hired elsewhere but that's beside the point of course.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Were you uncertain what kind of judge Joe Biden would nominate?

Donald Trump presented a list of candidates before ever ever ran.

He then chose from that list.

Biden was secretive abt it until he eliminated 94% of the population.

The court is politicized. Both parties are so predictable and cookie cutter at this point, we can probably predict precisely how the next handful of judges carry out there job based on nothing but an R or D nominating them. Doesn't matter name, demographic, background, or experience - a judge is going to be picked mostly on how the nominator expects them to rule. Everything else is window dressing/raw meat for the base.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Jerry Jones interview:

EXCLUSIVE: Jerry Jones responds to Brian Flores' lawsuit vs. the NFL.“I can see it’s an area, one of many, that we can do better."(via @JoriEpstein)https://t.co/5Yk5EuM1rz— USA TODAY NFL (@usatodaynfl) February 2, 2022

Sep 17, 2012
No, racism usually works as unconscious bias. The owners don't want to lose; they are just biased to think white coaches will do better than black coaches. With evidence of success, an owner would pick a black coach easily. For instance, any owner would hire Mike Tomlin in a heartbeat because of his proven track record. However, it is uncommon to be able to hire a coach with a proven track record because those coaches don't lose their jobs. More often, head coaches are rising from the assistant ranks or were former head coaches that were fired. Because of racism and unconscious bias, all else being equal, white coaches get the upper hand on black coaches. BTW, Flores was a pretty good coach and didn't deserved to be fired, unless refusing to lose games is a fireable offence.

Do yall really think that only 1 of the best coaches in the NFL is black? You think that's just coincidence that there's only one black coach or you think all the other white coaches are just better?

gwadSIG

Aug 30, 2017
But the NFL puts "it takes all of us" In the end zone. How does something like this continue to happen??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login