Briles

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Disclaimer - I have no idea as to how much truth there is to any Briles to MSU rumors. But here are some stats on each team’s offense this season.

(Edited to add stats from SEC games only)

Points per game (overall):
MSU - 32.7
Arkansas - 32.5

Points per game (SEC ONLY):
MSU - 25.38 (9th in the SEC)
Arkansas - 28.5 (6th in the SEC)

Yards per game (overall):
MSU - 393
Arkansas - 471

Yards per game (SEC ONLY):
MSU - 358 (11th in SEC)
Arkansas - 416 (6th in SEC)

Yards per play overall (far more important than either of the above):

MSU - 5.2
Arkansas - 6.0

Yards per play (SEC ONLY):

MSU - 4.97 (Tied for 12th in the SEC)
Arkansas - 5.72 (7th in the SEC)

Arkansas also had some key injuries at both QB and WR this year that we did not have.

I’m neither for or against ditching the Air Raid entirely - either option could work or be disastrous depending on the execution - but if we did choose to do so….we could do a lot worse than Briles. In spite of injuries, his offense was better than ours across the board against similar competition and with similar talent. And I still think he would incorporate a lot of Leach AR concepts at least in the short term with current personnel.

And one more thing….there are not any more batshit crazy fanbases in the country than Arkansas fans. Whatever discontent they have with their current staff shouldn’t even be a remote consideration on whether or not hiring a member of their staff is a good idea.

Last edited:

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
I think I would rather have Littrell. He has that HC experience that I think would be extremely beneficial for ZA

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
If we change philosophies, how much of our offense leaves? How many of our offensive signees leave?

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
I don’t need stats on Briles I watched a bunch of their games. Not a logical hire, he was on his way out at arkansas. Makes a lot more sense to bring in Hatcher or even promote Miller. You have a ten win team coming back next year. Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Motodawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You think Parsons stays?

Parsons is here for at least a year regardless….doesn’t really have a choice.

But I also think he stays because he seems committed to Mississippi State and not necessarily the coaches. After all, he signed the dotted line not having any idea what the offense was going to be next year with any degree of certainty.

Reactions: patdog

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Parsons is here for at least a year regardless….doesn’t really have a choice.

But I also think he stays because he seems committed to Mississippi State and not necessarily the coaches. After all, he signed the dotted line not having any idea what the offense was going to be next year with any degree of certainty.
I disagree. He committed because of Leach. He signed to honor Leach. I think he and Robertson both leave if we completely change the offense.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I disagree. He committed because of Leach. He signed to honor Leach. I think he and Robertson both leave if we completely change the offense.

Well I’d never say anyone is a sure bet to stay anywhere more than a year these days, but again he has no choice but to give it a go for at least the 2023 season.

If he’s as much of a dual threat as people say, he should have no problem at all in a different system and it might even give him an advantage over all the other true Air Raid guys.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The offense will be changing in a big way regardless of who is kept and who is hired. There is no one who runs anything like what Leach ran that could be brought in
There’s a big difference in a similar philosophy and a complete overhaul. We find someone to come in that has similar concepts I think we keep most everyone intact. We change philosophies, and we’re in our 3rd rebuild in 5 years.

Reactions: Chucksizzle

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
There’s a big difference in a similar philosophy and a complete overhaul. We find someone to come in that has similar concepts I think we keep most everyone intact. We change philosophies, and we’re in our 3rd rebuild in 5 years.
Whether or not State moves from the AR is yet to be seen. What it looks like to me is we are losing two WR coached to be replaced by Bumphis. Possibly a ST coordinator who was moved from coaching a position group and may be unhappy, a db coach who got moved to running backs and may be unhappy, and possibly a dl coach that the DC didn’t have any say-so in hiring to begin with.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
As far as getting personnel to fit your scheme that's the least of my worries given the portal. We could lose 3 QBs and get 2 or 3 within weeks of each other. Who really cares if we change the offense when you get a mass diaspora twice a year?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don’t need stats on Briles I watched a bunch of their games. Not a logical hire, he was on his way out at arkansas. Makes a lot more sense to bring in Hatcher or even promote Miller. You have a ten win team coming back next year. Doesn’t make sense.
Muller has zero OC experience. His group was getting their *** kicked 3/4 of the game today.
Hatcher might be okay, but he's been a head coach at fcs level for several years. Even he doesn't run the leach air raid. Their would have been a lot of changes even with him.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Briles is flexible. He's not like Leach that just does one thing. He'll throw it around or he can run it. Mammary Sam has players and coaches jumping ship fast. Big problems at Arkansas. Briles is a top end OC.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Miller does have OC experience and QB coach experience. I'm sure we could find better and it is true a lot of craziness is going on at Arkansas that I didn't expect. Lots of transfers for some reason. Might be Briles. No doubt he would bring his own people

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Right. Improvement would be the goal here. Not more of the same.
Well, that means hiring someone from the teams ahead of us. How many run a version of air raid with an OC with experience that we could realistically get. Littrell comes to mind but he hasn't been a sitting OC in a few years. Most of those teams the OC is the head coach or we wouldn't be able to get them.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login