Bring Stans home!!

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I would hope if we called he would give us the double birds and ask us if we aren’t enjoying the change Scott thought we needed from winning the west 5 out of 8 years.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I would hope if we called he would give us the double birds and ask us if we aren’t enjoying the change Scott thought we needed from winning the west 5 out of 8 years.
If I was him I would. That and kicking all the long time basketball diehards out of their seats so football boosters could have a good seat for the two games a year they show up for absolutely killed the basketball program, and the latter was the biggest mistake.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I was one who was adamant about not firing Stans. I knew things could be way worse considering. We haven’t been fun to watch since a Stan’s fielded team. Regardless of any negativity anyone had to say then or now, it was always fun to watch knowing that we had the talent to compete and beat the best in the SEC any given night. Keep in mind he recruited and did all he did while we didn’t even have a practice facility. You guys got what you wanted and what you deserve.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Nobody got what they wanted and still haven't. Nobody wanted Stricklin to murder our basketball atmosphere and nobody wanted Rick Ray. Cohen continues to ignore the Hump attendance/seating issues to this day.

The only thing Stansbury was better at than Howland was putting a more entertaining style of basketball on the court for the first 32 minutes but y'all are forgetting his patented Stansbury Stall that he 100% of the time enforced the last 8 minutes of any game he was leading in. That **** was the opposite of entertaining. He hasn't done a better job at a much easier job than Howland currently is doing. He's 6-4 right now at Western Kentucky and won't make the NCAA tourney once again.

What we did want was for Stansbury to stop with the ********. Stop running off talented players. Stop letting major character issues run his program. Stop having the NCAA sniffing our panties 24/7. Stop with the Stansbury stall. Stop choking in the tourney. Stop losing to random dogshit teams. Stop with the cupcake OOC scheduling. Stop letting his players smoke weed all the time. When Stricklin addressed some of these issues with him he quit instead of making changes. Then the Rick Ray catastrophe began. Again nobody got what they wanted so quit acting like they did.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
It wasn't just the wins and losses, it was the shenanigans also. We had become the laughing stock of college basketball.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t think college basketball paid enough attention to warrant laughingstock status.

Nah, that Sydney fight in the stands got plenty of the wrong kind of attention. I must have seen that white tank top fight in Hawaii on a few dozen different Halftime/Highlight/SportsCenter/News shows.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Nobody got what they wanted and still haven't. Nobody wanted Stricklin to murder our basketball atmosphere and nobody wanted Rick Ray. Cohen continues to ignore the Hump attendance/seating issues to this day.

The only thing Stansbury was better at than Howland was putting a more entertaining style of basketball on the court for the first 32 minutes but y'all are forgetting his patented Stansbury Stall that he 100% of the time enforced the last 8 minutes of any game he was leading in. That **** was the opposite of entertaining. He hasn't done a better job at a much easier job than Howland currently is doing. He's 6-4 right now at Western Kentucky and won't make the NCAA tourney once again.

What we did want was for Stansbury to stop with the ********. Stop running off talented players. Stop letting major character issues run his program. Stop having the NCAA sniffing our panties 24/7. Stop with the Stansbury stall. Stop choking in the tourney. Stop losing to random dogshit teams. Stop with the cupcake OOC scheduling. Stop letting his players smoke weed all the time. When Stricklin addressed some of these issues with him he quit instead of making changes. Then the Rick Ray catastrophe began. Again nobody got what they wanted so quit acting like they did.

You got your wish, we got a totally new basketball program. I'm sure you are proud of your long term continuing legacy.

Last edited:

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
You'd be lucky if my wishes for our basketball program were acted on. Just last year I said we should replace Howland with Tommy Lloyd. Since then Arizona hired him and now they are 9-0 and #11 in the country.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
We currently have Stans now, watch any of our games vs teams with a pulse. Make the NIT with ncaa talent. Get a double digit lead then let them come back bc we stall. We need a young, offensive minded coach, not Stans.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
It is a fact we need a new basketball coach, but we don't need Rick Stansbury.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
Rather have Mark Gottfried or John Brady. They and Stans are interchangeable but Gott & Brady actually made it past 2nd round of NCAA's tourney.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Worked so well bringing Polk back. Let's do Stans and Mullen too and keep our circle of suck intact!

Sorry tired, it was supposed to be a reply to the thread not your post directly.

Last edited:

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
You'd be lucky if my wishes for our basketball program were acted on. Just last year I said we should replace Howland with Tommy Lloyd. Since then Arizona hired him and now they are 9-0 and #11 in the country.

I don’t know Tommy Lloyd but as a general rule of thumb you would think that the top assistant at one of the top programs in the country would have their sights set higher than Mississippi State for their first head coaching gig. If that was Lloyd’s strategy, it worked out well for him.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I’m sure we could have beat Arizona out for his services

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Be the first to offer and we could. How you think Auburn got Bruce Pearl. Auburn was atrocious in basketball for like twenty years before they rolled out the red carpet to get Pearl.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Be the first to offer and we could. How you think Auburn got Bruce Pearl. Auburn was atrocious in basketball for like twenty years before they rolled out the red carpet to get Pearl.

There is a big difference between job hunting when you already have a good one and trying to find one when you don’t have one.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The hump hasn’t been the same since he left. Not sure if he could put that spark back either. Not sure what it would take.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If Howland isn't good enough, Stans isn't either.

At least Howland's teams don't embarrass the school while going ~ .500 in SEC play.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login