Brock Purdy

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I didn't realize that he was Mr. Irrelevant, the last person chosen in the draft. I'm not a 49ers' fan, but nice to see what has happened in his career. I'm sure every other NFL team is kicking themselves for overlooking him.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I didn't realize that he was Mr. Irrelevant, the last person chosen in the draft. I'm not a 49ers' fan, but nice to see what has happened in his career. I'm sure every other NFL team is kicking themselves for overlooking him.
His situation is similar to Daks. They both got an opportunity after multiple injuries to QBs and they got their chances to shine. It’s pretty remarkable.

Purdy was a decent QB in college but nothing that screamed NFL.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I didn’t think he was that impressive at Iowa State, honestly. He kinda never really got better after his freshman year. Him being such a success in the NFL is a BIG surprise for me.

Looking at it now, I’m perplexed at how Iowa State had Purdy and Breece Hall on their team in 2021 and only went 7-6.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not sure when the NFL will finally get their shlt together and realize that the best QBs are not based on freak athletic ability alone. They miss over and over again trying to out-athlete everyone and that rarely happens. There aren't many Michael Vicks and Lamar Jacksons out there, and even those guys stay hurt a good bit. They want Jalen Hurts to be another one, but he's only working because he's on a super team.

Bartoo has the formula.....you have to look at guys who elevate the team around them in college. Purdy is an example of that, Dak is another. 7-6 at Iowa State is overachieving most of the time.

Accuracy, decision-making, getting rid of the ball quickly....that's what the NFL needs. Athletic ability is great, but you have to have those other things.

I'm talking generally here, so don't tell me about how RG3 had a good game years ago, or that Lamar Jackson is going to win the Super Bowl. He may. But it's not the norm.

Last edited:

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I read where Lebby recruited him to UCF but he eventually chose Iowa State. I think Lebby left for Ole Miss which may explain why he chose Iowa St.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I'll be honest. While it was fun watching him win games last season after taking over Jimmy G, I still didn't believe that I was looking at the Niners' franchise QB by any stretch. He was making plays, but there just wasn't much about a 6'1" QB with mild arm strength and athleticism that screamed super bowl caliber player to me.

I've changed my tune this year, though. For another guy labeled as a dink and dunker, he leads the NFL in passer rating and yards/att by a mile, and he's a perfect fit for San Fran's offense.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I'll be honest. While it was fun watching him win games last season after taking over Jimmy G, I still didn't believe that I was looking at the Niners' franchise QB by any stretch. He was making plays, but there just wasn't much about a 6'1" QB with mild arm strength and athleticism that screamed super bowl caliber player to me.

I've changed my tune this year, though. For another guy labeled as a dink and dunker, he leads the NFL in passer rating and yards/att by a mile, and he's a perfect fit for San Fran's offense.
It’s the middle of the road arm that made his draft stock slide and people to take so long to buy into him. Not having a Josh Allen or Mahomes type arm really throws scouts and analysts for a loop. But if they are an accurate QB that is paired with the right coach, it can be a good combination. Purdy and Tua are both excellent examples of that. Both Purdy and Tua have limitations but they have coaches that understand the limitations and strengths and game plan to the strengths.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s the middle of the road arm that made his draft stock slide and people to take so long to buy into him. Not having a Josh Allen or Mahomes type arm really throws scouts and analysts for a loop. But if they are an accurate QB that is paired with the right coach, it can be a good combination. Purdy and Tua are both excellent examples of that. Both Purdy and Tua have limitations but they have coaches that understand the limitations and strengths and game plan to the strengths.
There is a minimum level arm strength needed. Both Purdy and Tua have it. I'm not sure why the NFL hasn't learned this lesson. It really doesn't matter if Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball the length of the field. Maybe he should try another sport where that skill is useful.

I get that the crazy athletic prowess is mesmerizing, especially in the combines. Hard to look past it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You are correct and when you add in the talented group of skill players he has to work with, it really a great combination. McCaffery, Aiyuk, Debo, and Kittle, all of them are among the most talented in the NFL. I don't know of another group collectively that is approaches that talent level. When you add in a defense anchored by Nick Bosa and you get a winning combination.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
You are correct and when you add in the talented group of skill players he has to work with, it really a great combination. McCaffery, Aiyuk, Debo, and Kittle, all of them are among the most talented in the NFL. I don't know of another group collectively that is approaches that talent level. When you add in a defense anchored by Nick Bosa and you get a winning combination.
Yep. Purdy is surrounded by playmakers and QBs, who have played under Shannahan, have almost always performed best in their careers when they played for Shannahan. Some people refer to him as the QB Whisperer. He is amazing at fitting the offense to the QB.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I wouldn’t put much, if any, fault on other teams for not drafting him. I’d place the blame on Kirk Ferentz. Croom would be an offensive coordinator upgrade for them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Not sure when the NFL will finally get their shlt together and realize that the best QBs are not based on freak athletic ability alone. They miss over and over again trying to out-athlete everyone and that rarely happens. There aren't many Michael Vicks and Lamar Jacksons out there, and even those guys stay hurt a good bit. They want Jalen Hurts to be another one, but he's only working because he's on a super team.
Are you implying that Purdy isn’t also on a “super team”? His supporting cast is infinitely better than what Hurts has in Philly.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Purdy is also coached by one of the best QB coaches in recent history. He also has many, many weapons at his disposal. Not discounting him, but one does wonder if he could show out like this in a different situation.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Are you implying that Purdy isn’t also on a “super team”? His supporting cast is infinitely better than what Hurts has in Philly.
“Infinitely”? Bullshlt. If anything, the Eagles have the better talent.

They are similar though. But Purdy is constantly criticized and Hurts is praised.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Bartoo has the formula.....you have to look at guys who elevate the team around them in college. Purdy is an example of that, Dak is another. 7-6 at Iowa State is overachieving most of the time.

Accuracy, decision-making, getting rid of the ball quickly....that's what the NFL needs. Athletic ability is great, but you have to have those other things.

I'm talking generally here, so don't tell me about how RG3 had a good game years ago, or that Lamar Jackson is going to win the Super Bowl. He may. But it's not the norm.
What?

that’s a very recent phenomenon and it’s not really the majority of the nfl.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
“Infinitely”? Bullshlt. If anything, the Eagles may be better.

They are similar though. But Purdy is constantly criticized and Hurts is praised.
Deebo / Aiyuk > Brown / Smith. Small margin here, but still 49ers are better.

Kittle >>>>> Goedert. Not even close here.

McCaffrey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Entire Eagles backfield, and every other RB in the league too. Again, not close.

49ers defense >>> Eagles defense. Especially in the pass rush and secondary.

There’a literally nowhere that the Eagles are better…..which was proven a few weeks ago. 49ers are far more of a super team than Philly.

And I don’t know where you are seeing criticism of Purdy. He’s the current favorite for MVP.

Reactions: HRMSU

patdog

May 28, 2007
Purdy is also coached by one of the best QB coaches in recent history. He also has many, many weapons at his disposal. Not discounting him, but one does wonder if he could show out like this in a different situation.
Saw a quote from some former player that there are 15 QBs who could do what Purdy's done at SF. That's probably an exaggeration, but it's easy to look good when you've got great coaching and a great supporting cast.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Deebo / Aiyuk > Brown / Smith. Small margin here, but still 49ers are better.

Kittle >>>>> Goedert. Not even close here.

McCaffrey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Entire Eagles backfield, and every other RB in the league too. Again, not close.

49ers defense >>> Eagles defense. Especially in the pass rush and secondary.

There’a literally nowhere that the Eagles are better…..which was proven a few weeks ago. 49ers are far more of a super team than Philly.

And I don’t know where you are seeing criticism of Purdy. He’s the current favorite for MVP.

I might slightly prefer the Eagles WR’s just because I think AJ is the best WR on either team and Smith is a dangerous home run threat. But CMC and Kittle are so dang good that the Niners still clearly have the better skill position guys.

Reactions: HRMSU

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
There is a minimum level arm strength needed. Both Purdy and Tua have it. I'm not sure why the NFL hasn't learned this lesson. It really doesn't matter if Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball the length of the field. Maybe he should try another sport where that skill is useful.

I get that the crazy athletic prowess is mesmerizing, especially in the combines. Hard to look past it.
Russell should have come to State. The Javelin School!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Saw a quote from some former player that there are 15 QBs who could do what Purdy's done at SF. That's probably an exaggeration, but it's easy to look good when you've got great coaching and a great supporting cast.
Don’t disagree with that. Purdy gets a ton of praise and MVP talk (and his stats do back it up) but McCaffrey is the MVP. Hes a machine.

And just for giggles I’ll throw this in there.

IMG_1223.jpeg

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Beg to differ. Niners are the best team in the NFL and definitely the most balanced on both sides of the ball. As a Cowboys fan it hurts to say it but it's true so I do.

Nov 20, 2023
I think it is a good example of a coach blending his offense and players into a system to get the max out of all. Something Officer Barbrady (and Zack Morris) certainly didn't attempt.
Wow, I’m watching South Park now and just a little bit ago watched the Barbrady episode. The episode where they fire him and then turn around and re hire him claiming he is indeed what they need. Lol. I know this is about Purdy but Dak has a lot of arm strength it seems lately even more. The amount of heat he puts in some of those passes. Purdy has one hell of a team around him and C MAC as well to make things easier not to mention the Swiss Army knife and hell of a strong fast WR Deebo Samuel and beast WRs and TE Kittle who does it all well like C Mac. Their line also. Super well built team.

Nov 20, 2023
I often wonder what Dak could do if he was say QB of the Niners or rather let’s say that all the Niners players we’re on Dallas’s team surrounding Dak. Like if they swapped everyone but the QBs. Last week was ugly but Dak has been excellent while having to carry his team. Basically not a ground game. He and the pass catchers are carrying them.. soo how good is Dak this if surrounded by SF’s squad with a great Run Game finally and so much more??? I read a lot about Dak being the fav for MVP for certain and by a good bit before this last game. I want to know what y’all think if he was in Purdy’s position just how great he’d be beyond already being quite impressive and carrying Dallas on O

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login