Bruce Feldman reporting Napier to Florida

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
May be announced this afternoon. Gotta give Napier credit. He didn’t jump at the first few opportunities he had, and bet on himself to keep winning big at ULL. Paid off in a top 10 job.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
May be announced this afternoon. Gotta give Napier credit. He didn’t jump at the first few opportunities he had, and bet on himself to keep winning big at ULL. Paid off in a top 10 job.

Luckily all he has to do to keep his job is pretend to recruit and not be an ***.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This move has sent the LSU message boards and social media into meltdown mode. Napier let it be known he was interested in LSU job, but they never showed interest in him. Now he got the UF job, and they are left at the alter by Lincoln. A real shame**

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Napier is a bit beneath what the rank and file fans want for their next coach at LSU. TBH, it’s a somewhat risky move for loafers to hire Napier at UF. If this hire is made and doesn’t work out, loafers will be SOL.

This move has sent the LSU message boards and social media into meltdown mode. Napier let it be known he was interested in LSU job, but they never showed interest in him. Now he got the UF job, and they are left at the alter by Lincoln. A real shame**

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know Shmuley has said that it was going to happen but I’m still a little surprised at it if only because it has the feel of a Mississippi State hire.

And yeah, I know I’m not the first person who's said this.

Thank goodness Cohen isn’t Florida’s AD because you know he’d make the monster hire on his second opportunity.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017

Who else besides Kiffin might be on their short list now?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I don't know that much about Napier but success at Florida calls for a pretty unique set of skills personally and coaching wise. I wish him well but I've got a feeling the job is a lot "bigger" than he's prepared for.

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
Chatted with a Florida fan the other day who seemed to be "in the know". He made it seem like UF has been all-in on Napier the whole time.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Napier is a bit beneath what the rank and file fans want for their next coach at LSU. TBH, it’s a somewhat risky move for loafers to hire Napier at UF. If this hire is made and doesn’t work out, loafers will be SOL.

Nope. Loafers will still be fine. He’ll simply hire the next guy that Spurrier, Foley, and the big money boosters decide to go after.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Above average recruiter. Comes from a pretty strong coaching tree (Clemson and Bama). I think it’s a good hire. Not a home run, but solid.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I know Shmuley has said that it was going to happen but I’m still a little surprised at it if only because it has the feel of a Mississippi State hire.

And yeah, I know I’m not the first person who's said this.

Thank goodness Cohen isn’t Florida’s AD because you know he’d make the monster hire on his second opportunity.
Yeah, this is not a good hire. Basically Dan Mullen 2 without the experience. I wouldn’t have gone that direction again. I would imagine he will be fired along with Loaferz in 4-5 years.

They are the ones who should have gone for the Lincoln Riley type.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
I'd be pretty pissed if I was a UF fan. He may work out, but I think he's way over-rated. I can't stand his offense. ULL is a better program than it's competition with more advantages. And I've seen some awful game management situations at times when I've watched them.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I wonder if his contract stipulates that his wife has to kiss the players on the lips?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, this is not a good hire. Basically Dan Mullen 2 without the experience. I wouldn’t have gone that direction again. I would imagine he will be fired along with Loaferz in 4-5 years.

They are the ones who should have gone for the Lincoln Riley type.

The issues with Mullen were locker room culture and subpar recruiting. Two things that Napier does a great job with.

Napier will do well there.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
The issues with Mullen were locker room culture and subpar recruiting. Two things that Napier does a great job with.

For the ignorant among us, please explain what "locker room culture" means.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I know what it means but I’m not sure where Mullen had issues with it besides taking over at Florida where they already had some.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'd be pretty pissed if I was a UF fan. He may work out, but I think he's way over-rated. I can't stand his offense. ULL is a better program than it's competition with more advantages. And I've seen some awful game management situations at times when I've watched them.

I agree. I think Napier will have trouble playing in the SEC sandbox after Mullen left things in shambles. They have already seen decomits and Georgia and the other Florida schools can really screw things up. What has he proven to be handed the keys to that program.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I know what it means but I’m not sure where Mullen had issues with it besides taking over at Florida where they already had some.

Well, if you know what it means, then please help me understand. Or, is it code for something that is politically sensitive?

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
I see. I can see where a head coach can have a lot of influence on that, but that is mostly on the players, imo.

Ultimately up to coach to control that tho and he has to work identifying and developing the leaders within the team. Coach has to lead by example himself too.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean it takes the right players for sure, but getting rid of cancers or holding people accountable helps.

Leadership starts at the top.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Mullen wasn't elite at recruiting, but let's not act like he didn't have good players. So I reject that excuse and the 'culture'.

I think his issue was that he simply did not rise up to the level needed to coach a blue blood, and honestly, it was about to happen at MSU too. He was about to tank after 2018. He kept micromanaging the offense, and didn't handle the big picture items. If he was, he'd have fired Grantham after 2020.

Bottom line, he wasn't a fit at Florida, and then had a bad year, and it spiraled. If Napier can't handle those same things (and he has a lot less experience), the Florida job will eat his *** up too.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
I mean it takes the right players for sure, but getting rid of cancers or holding people accountable helps.

Leadership starts at the top.

I think we said essentially the same thing. And that's where Moorhead really screwed up IMO. Especially the cancers part. I don't know what happened but elevating Hill like he did screwed up the offensive chemistry and leadership a good bit IMO. Hill was a lot of flash with no substance IMO.

Defensively Shoop had leaders that lead by example, worked hard, and were tough. It showed on the field too.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If Florida fires another coach after 3 years, it might not be the coach.
A house cleaning should be in order. They are looking for the wrong things, or they just simply don't know what they are looking for. The last successful QBs they had were Will Klein and Kyle Trask, and those are drop back guys who toss it all over the yard. Yet they still are going after these dual threat offensive coaches and systems. Remember when they destroyed Ole Miss' vaunted 2015 team? They had the thing going then but then lost the QB.

So, unless they hire a guy that can recruit top 5 (those coaches don't come around too often), then they need to quit chasing something that don't work at Florida. I guess I'm skeptical that Napier is in the mold of Urban and Saban, who are in a league by themselves. Maybe he is. Those guys can win anywhere.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Florida is a slightly better version of the Longhorns in the SEC. If Napier can't change that they are in a shite load of trouble.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
For the ignorant among us, please explain what "locker room culture" means.

It means players putting themselves ahead of the team, not handling their business on and off the field, and quitting on coaches.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is why it was dumb to fire Mullen.

He won without his players for 2 years. He had a ****** year.

Give him time. Especially after the last 7 year debacle.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login