Buffalo's new 62K stadium supposedly......

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
doesn't need to be indoors to protect fans from the most brutal weather conditions in the NFL. Apparently, they've installed some sort of radiant heat system throughout the stadium to keep the fans relatively warm during the coldest and snowiest of days/nights. Wonder how they did that? Nice looking stadium though. I would have thought they would have gone with an entirely indoor stadium.

1673819431752.pngu

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
As much snow as they can get in Buffalo (feet) they were probably concerned with the risk of any type of roof collapsing. That’s the only thing I can think of. Buffalo got about 7 feet of snow in a storm back before Christmas. One of you engineering types would have to calculate the weight of 7 feet of snow on a roof large enough to cover the stadium. Nice looking stadium though.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
doesn't need to be indoors to protect fans from the most brutal weather conditions in the NFL. Apparently, they've installed some sort of radiant heat system throughout the stadium to keep the fans relatively warm during the coldest and snowiest of days/nights. Wonder how they did that? Nice looking stadium though. I would have thought they would have gone with an entirely indoor stadium.

View attachment 298238u
I believe the heat source is a combination of water, sugar, yeast and a few other minor ingredients

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
The fans up here don't want an indoor stadium. They pride themselves on weathering the cold weather. I suppose you kind of get used to it. Last night, it was 16 degrees and I just wore a light jacket outside. With that being said, if they would just build the stadium about 5 miles north, they would miss a ton of snow. It should probably also be noted that where the stadium will be built is by far the safest part of Buffalo, something to think about these days I suppose.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
As much snow as they can get in Buffalo (feet) they were probably concerned with the risk of any type of roof collapsing. That’s the only thing I can think of. Buffalo got about 7 feet of snow in a storm back before Christmas. One of you engineering types would have to calculate the weight of 7 feet of snow on a roof large enough to cover the stadium. Nice looking stadium though.

Retractable roof. If you’re about to get 7’ of snow, just open and close the damn thing intermittently to keep it from collecting.

whodatdawg12

Aug 26, 2012
7 feet of snow would weigh around 105 lbs per sq ft.

AT&T stadiums roof is 660,000 SF. 7 feet of snow on it would weigh 69,300,000 lbs.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

AT&T stadiums roof is 660,000 SF. 7 feet of snow on it would weigh 69,300,000 lbs.
Minnesota’s Metrodome collapsed under the weight of snow and it gets about half of the yearly snowfall of Buffalo.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The fans up here don't want an indoor stadium. They pride themselves on weathering the cold weather. I suppose you kind of get used to it. Last night, it was 16 degrees and I just wore a light jacket outside. With that being said, if they would just build the stadium about 5 miles north, they would miss a ton of snow. It should probably also be noted that where the stadium will be built is by far the safest part of Buffalo, something to think about these days I suppose.
Yep. Buffalo is really more about the snow too. Those lake effects pile it up fast, but there's also warmth from that lake water. Now if you go straight across all the great lakes to Green Bay and Minneapolis, those places get brutally cold, but nowhere near the snow.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Fresh snow as measured by constantly clearing your collection (which is how we get snowfall totals) is not very heavy. If you didn't clear it every so often it will pack under its own weight so 4' of snowfall will only be 2' deep.

A general rule of thumb is about 8 lbs per cubic foot for fresh snow. Some wet snow is heavier but it just doesn't pile up much. Buffalo snow is generally pretty fluffy because very cold air coming across the lake is what causes the lake effects.

A site i use to track snowfall in my area has a station in Buffalo. The Christmas snowstorm dropped 52" there. It was only 3.81" of water. Doing a little math (water 62 lbs per CF/12 = 5.16 lbs per 1" deep for water.) 5.16 x 3.81 = 20 lbs or so per square foot for just over 4'.

Data below is from Buffalo. High,low, precip, snowfall.

Screenshot_20230116-065540.png

Now ground snow or compacted snow is more than like 20lbs per SF. But that's not a huge issue in Buffalo because while they get big dumps, it typically warms up and melts off most of the snow within a week.

The engineers in the area know this and have the ground snow load factor (how we determine snow loads for construction to prevent collapse) at 50lbs per SF in Buffalo.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Minnesota’s Metrodome collapsed under the weight of snow and it gets about half of the yearly snowfall of Buffalo.

Look into ground snow. Aka how much does it snow and how long does it hang around. All that snow melts fast in Buffalo not Minneapolis. Here are current snow depths in the US and they are down to inches in Western NY.

Screenshot_20230116-072649_copy_1140x461.png

Syracuse has the same kind of fiberglass dome as the Metrodome and their average annual snowfall is higher than Buffalo proper (though probably not Orchard Park.) So structurally you could easily build a dome in Buffalo, but I doubt it would be worth it. They're never getting a Superbowl or other big events in the winter. The airport is tiny and the whole city shuts down once or twice a year from massive snowfall dumps. I know you remember the Superbowl debacle in Dallas. Can you imagine trying that in Buffalo?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Look into ground snow. Aka how much does it snow and how long does it hang around. All that snow melts fast in Buffalo not Minneapolis. Here are current snow depths in the US and they are down to inches in Western NY.

View attachment 298433

Syracuse has the same kind of fiberglass dome as the Metrodome and their average annual snowfall is higher than Buffalo proper (though probably not Orchard Park.) So structurally you could easily build a dome in Buffalo, but I doubt it would be worth it. They're never getting a Superbowl or other big events in the winter. The airport is tiny and the whole city shuts down once or twice a year from massive snowfall dumps. I know you remember the Superbowl debacle in Dallas. Can you imagine trying that in Buffalo?
Oh yeah, I remember the giant sheet of ice that slid off the top of AT&T Stadium. I didn't do a full Dave Brown breakdown. I literally just Googled "annual snowfall in Buffalo, NY", "annual snowfall in Minneapolis, MN", and "annual snowfall in Detroit, MI" and was surprised with the result.

I think it would take away from the identity of Buffalo if they did a dome, same with Green Bay and Kansas City.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login